“Beautiful! Loved it! But it does need some soundproofing ...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Cleveland Downtown

Save Saved
You added The Westin Cleveland Downtown to your Saves list
The Westin Cleveland Downtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   777 St. Clair Avenue NE, Cleveland, OH 44114 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland City Centre)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #23 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
North Canton, Ohio
“Beautiful! Loved it! But it does need some soundproofing ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

This hotel is absolutely lovely and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay! Every employee that we encountered went out of his or her way to be accommodating and was very polite and helpful.

My only suggestion is that some soundproofing be attended to in the rooms. I was startled when I was in our room that I could clearly hear conversation going on in the hallway, and while in the hallway, I could hear the shower in the room four doors away. Privacy and modesty will certainly be compromised in a hotel that lacks soundproofing as this currently does.

I also had trouble with water from the shower leaking onto the floor. I was intrigued by the plexiglass half wall in lieu of a shower curtain or door and thought, "Well, they must have designed it such that water will not leak onto the floor." Not so much.

Otherwise, we truly loved it and would love to come back! I am very happy to see high quality hotels and restaurants contributing to the renaissance of Cleveland!

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Yonkers, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

The hotel is new and has only been open for approx. 2 months.There were glitches during our stay that called into question the preparedness of Westin to handle a sold out hotel. There was no water for several hours on a number of floors. The A/C didn't work for quite awhile.The fire alarm sounded,how do physically handicapped people who rely on electric scooters get down higher level floors evacuate? A meal ordered for room service arrived with no silver ware ( finger food ? ) It arrived a 1/2 hour later. The business center has no one present,trying to make copies the printer states a copy is being printed with nothing coming out .Picking up the phone to call for assistance results in a dead phone. Our room was nicely furnished, a large settee was totally unusable, up right backs prevented any one from being comfortable;pillows were of no help.Did the interior designer actually sit on it or ordered it because it looked nice? The bathroom was very nice with a walk-in shower, however there are no grab bars which would help if one slipped.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lake view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Independence, Missouri, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Just spent 4 days here for a conference. Decor was great but it was downhill from there. Guest services was poorly informed, no help with parking and checkout was a nightmare, 2 days of poorly working or no air conditioning, 1 day with no to limited water and to top it off fire alarms. Certainly not up to my expectations as a Starwood Preferred Guest

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Dear Susie R,
We apologize for the challenges you encountered during your stay, and have rectified our issues with the building systems. Guest feedback is critical to our success, and appreciate your comments.
Dayton, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

I stayed one night for a conference and have very mixed reviews.

Staff

Positive: Very pleasant employees who accommodated my request for a "conference rate", after the Westin hotels rep had charged me a regular rate. While it took a very long time to make the change, they upgraded me to a SPG floor. Every employee greeted me with a smile and were eager to assist with dining suggestions, bags, opening doors,etc.

Negative: It might have been in part because of the newness of the hotel, but many of the staff seemed confused or lost regarding proper service. The most notable experiences were with the valet and with one of the doormen. The valet made me walk to the garage ramp to get my car, instead of bringing the car to me. (My friend also noted that she had the identical experience). An experience that was not worth $30 per night. Next, three of us needed a cab, and the doorman asked if we would take a car instead. We assumed it was one of the Westin's cars (although upon reflection we should have known better due to the car's condition) and got in. When we arrived at our destination, which was less than 1/2 mile away, we attempted to "tip" the driver $5, only to be told that "fares downtown were $10", My friend believes that the driver was the doorman's friend trying to make a quick buck. Not the experience I expect from a Westin.

Hotel & Room

Positive: Beautifully designed hotel with unusual artwork. The lobby has several conversation pieces - from the lightbulb filled chandeliers, the giant human head or the plant wall. The rooms are fairly large, quiet and mine provided a beautiful view of the lake, stadium and rock & roll hall of fame.

Negative: The sheets were extremely rough and nothing like the Westin's "heavenly bed." I don't believe that they are 200 thread count - maybe 180 or less. Made sleeping very uncomfortable.

Restaurant

Positive: The restaurant is excellent and I appreciated the fact that they serve local products. People raved about the mac and cheese, but I had a potato pie which was amazing!! Service was excellent and the ambiance and decor were perfect for enjoying dinner with a large group.

Negative: The prices are OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! 1/2 roast chicken was $27 and the cheapest cut of steak was about $45. I was very shocked by these prices, especially given the fact that they serve local products.

I hope that this hotel can improve upon the shortcomings which I experienced. I would give it another try, since it's still fairly new ... but not anytime too soon.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Cab5,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We have recently opened, and have implemented all the standards including our linens which are 250 count. We are working with our Laundry team to process an exceptional product. Appreciate your comments on our staff, and they truly are fantastic!
Look forward to future visits when you return to Cleveland!
San Miguel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Very nice hotel, but only open for about a month and there are still problems in a few areas - water was off for the entire hotel when we arrived, but fortunately soon fixed; ordered room service twice: first time on arrival; order was incomplete, silverware only for one, never returned with remainder of order; second time for breakfast - promised fifteen minutes, took over an hour to arrive; no shampoo or conditioner - had to call twice to get someone to bring it (took over 2 hours). On the other hand, the hotel is clean and new, rooms good size and comfortable, staff very friendly.

Room Tip: There are many restaurants within walking distance - you might consider choosing them instead of the...
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Had a nice stay in this newly opened hotel in downtown Cleveland. The hotel was very nice, clean, and the staff extremely friendly. The restaurant/bar just off the lobby was very nice and has a great happy hour. There is a large business area with multiple computers available. The hotel is within walking distance to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Brown's football stadium, shopping, and a casino. My only complaint was the price of parking at $30 per night when my rental car was only $13/day. I looked around the area for overnight parking elsewhere but wasn't able to find any.

Room Tip: Ask for a waterfront view; it's spectacular.
Dear KD,

We are thrilled that you enjoyed our property, and the location is perfect for those visiting Cleveland! Look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Chardon, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I had booked this hotel before it had officially opened for my husband's 50th birthday. I had read the reviews the week before our stay and was nervous about following through with our reservation. In the end we opted to give it a try. I am thrilled that we did. The lobby is absolutely stunning. The staff at the front desk were very personable and helpful. We stayed in a suite (#918). The suite itself was beautiful. The bedding was comfortable. Liked the extra touch of robes and disposable slippers. The t.v. was in working order unlike a previous reviewer had stated. The separate living/work area was very nice. The only 2 drawbacks on the suite are the view looks out onto the roof (where you can see two satellite dishes for the restaurant below) and one can hear the elevators going up and down. As other reviewers stated there is no street parking. Only valet parking. We were totally fine with that because the other two hotels we've stayed at downtown have the same. We like the convenience of coming down and having our vehicle waiting for us. The only complaint I would have from our stay is that we were woken up by housekeeping at 9:40 a.m. (we had the do not disturb sign hung on our door) on a Sunday which has a late checkout of Noon. As a parent away from four kids for a night I was looking forward to not being woken up by anyone. All in all the hotel is beautiful and my apprehensions were for naught. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Mom24kidsoh,
We are certainly thrilled to hear you and your husband enjoyed our hotel and Happy 50th to him! Look forward to welcoming you again, and we will ensure our housekeeping team recognizes the importance of Do not Disturb!

Thank you for your comments!

Been to The Westin Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!