“Nice Hotel, but rather expensive.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Be A Rock Star
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Cleveland, Ohio
“Nice Hotel, but rather expensive.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2005

The Ritz in Downtown Cleveland is a very nice property that is very close to most of the major attractions in Cleveland. I stayed one night at the Ritz and upon check-in, I was upgraded to a Club Level room free of charge. Upon entering my room, one thought crossed my mind... This room was average in size. I would expect a lot more space in this hotel room. In all honesty, this room was no bigger or no less clean than a room at the Red Roof Inn. I'm not insulting the Ritz in the least, as the room was very clean, but I am saying that for the rate I booked at, I would expect a room double or triple the size it actually was. I see no reason why the Ritz charges as much as they do. I have stayed at various other properties around North America and have found rooms exactly the same size, just as clean, with more benefits (such as a sofa or refridgerator in the room) for much less than what the Ritz charges for a one night stay. Much of what you will pay for one night at the Ritz is based soley on the fancy name of the property. If you plan on using this room only for showering and sleeping, consider a cheaper property in Downtown Cleveland. There are other 3 and 4 star properties nearby that are just as nice and are much less in cost.

If you are still tempted to stay at the Ritz, I would like you to know that the property is in a good location and the staff is very friendly. Valet parking in inclimate weather is a must, as off-site parking is quite a walk. The Ritz has a very nice banquet center. The rooms were very clean and the beds were very comfortable. Consider priceline for a cheaper rate than what the hotel will charge you.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Brooklyn NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2005

I can't imagine how any previous guests could complain about this hotel. The staff is extraorindarily friendly; the bed was extremely comfortable; the heated pool and whirlpool were very enjoyable; the fitness center is small but luxurious, and their restaurant has great food and one night they featured the best local singer I have ever heard -- Laura Varcho. Hope she goes far. Cleveland itself is a bit of a ghost town and somewhat depressing but staying at the Ritz makes it all much more bearable!

• Stayed May 2005
Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2005

I stayed at the Ritz when it first opened and again recently. It's one of a handful of five-star hotels in Ohio (there are none outside the Northeast Ohio region).

For flashy oppulence, I think the new Inter-Continental in Cleveland wins (not the other one in Cleveland, which is an all-suite hotel). But the Ritz holds true to its atmosphere of understated elegance, which some may confuse as being drab. It's plush rooms, with ample moulding and details, sports that famous royal blue accent in various aspects of the decor— even in the wonderful toiletries — which never goes out of style.

One of the best aspects of hotel is its location right over the RTA Red Line Subway and the Blue, Green and Waterfront rail lines which is a single elevator ride away. You can also walk to dozens of great restaurants, including the new House of Blues, as well as take a walkway to the baseball stadium and the Gund arena, movies and a great shopping mall.

As for the signature hotel restaurant itself — the Century Grill — it has one of the best sushi bars in Ohio and one of the few places in the Midwest where you can get a soba-noodle bento brunch.

• Stayed January 2003
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2005

Not impressed with the Ritz. Lovely hotel, but in booking a room on their 14th floor with private access and Lounge, at $350.00 per night one would expect a lavish room with a fireplace or jaccuzi tub, a sitting room etc. I have had rooms at a Hilton or Marriott larger with more luxury and anemities than this hotel room!! Honestly, we are still in shock. The service is grand, but no grander than the Omni Hotels that we love. One thing that bothered us that others may find a nice touch: When you pull up to the valet upon check in and he asks your name, he has a microphone on. When you walk in EVERY hotel employee says " Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Doe". I mean 6 or 7 people say this out loud before you get to your room. Then any other time they see you anywhere, they say this greeting. I found it intrusive as anyone in the hotel;guests, loafers and anyone else now knows my name-which can prove to be a source of security issues.
Don't spend that kind of money for precieved elegance and luxury. It's NOT "all-that". Save some $$ stay at the Omni or a Hilton or Marriott upscale hotel.

Cincinnati
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2005

I travel to Cleveland quite frequently for business and have stayed at the Ritz Carlton several times in the past year. Each and every time I have experienced problems. I have experienced very slow valet service, dingy rooms, problems with the air-conditioning, etc. I have to say, that my concerns have always been dealt with nicely and though I have had to complain, they try to do what they can to make me happy.

This is not one of the Ritz Carlton's best properties but it is probably one of Cleveland's best hotels. There IS something very cozy about the place. I usually stay on the club level and it is very comfortable. The club level is on the 14th floor of the hotel and has a nice view of the city and lake. There is usually jazz or Norah Jones-type music playing, soft lighting and very nice concierge hosts.

The rooms here are very blah. The beds are comfortable, though not as comfortable as Westin's Heavenly Beds. The carpeting is a dated blue color. The views are not great. The bathrooms are the standard Ritz marble but most of the rooms look like they could be updated.

The exercise room has just been renovated (they put new carpeting down). The pool and whirlpool are very nice.

The lobby exudes that same dark, cozy feeling that the club level has and is accessible only via an elevator ride up 6 stories from the ground valet level. The hotel is connected to Tower City which is a downtown shopping mall. I found the mall to be a bit on the shady side-it seems to be a hangout for street gangs and homeless people and I didn't feel comfortable walking around it even during Saturday afternoon.

I stayed at the hotel February 18 and 19 with my husband for a quick getaway to celebrate his birthday. I called ahead and asked for "something very small" to make the room festive when we arrived. I told the employee I talked to that I just wanted a small cake or balloons. When we arrived there was a small cake AND balloons and although they were nice, the hotel charged me $38.00 for the cake and $38.00 for the balloons! I thought that was ridiculous and I had to call and ask to have at least one of the charges taken off my bill. They ended up taking off one of the charges but I still thought that was a bit much for a few balloons and a very small cake.

I guess to sum it up, this hotel is probably the best in Cleveland but that isn't saying much. Stay here and be prepared to complain when something goes wrong-if you do you will leave happy and keep coming back like I do.

Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2005

My husband took me to the Ritz for my birthday/Valentine's weekend. We've stayed on the Club level a couple of times before and enjoyed ourselves. This time, the first room they showed us was sub standard. Dirty carpeting, no hall light, grungy comforter. The second room was no better but they claimed to have no other rooms since they were filled to capacity. We went to the club for a drink, hoping to feel better about the room. The Club manager assured us they'd have it all taken care of. When we returned to our room, our carpet had been cleaned and was soaking wet. In addition, the heat/ac did not work. Housekeeping manger arrived, disgusted, and showed us to a suite. It ended well but had we not been on the Club level, I do not think we would have ever been provided with a satisfactory room.
We stay at the Ritz whenever we travel. As a Clevelander, I hate to admit that the Cleveland Ritz is our least favorite. The front desk was unaccommodating, The Club continually lacked utensils, wine glasses, etc. And, not even a lousy piece of chocolate for my birthday! Oh well, we'll probably go back but never again on a busy weekend.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2004

I had the opportunity the spend a night at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Cleveland. I was given a certificate by my boss for a job well done. When I arrived, I was treated like a "King". Frontdesk staff was fast in processing my reservation; pointing out areas of interest and what was available in the hotel. My room was very spacious and roomy; and tastefully decorated. I ordered in-room dining and I received my meal within 25 minutes. I had ordered seafood and it was delicious-as I enjoyed it with my glass of wine. I was surprised when the room attendant came in for a turn down service. The chocolates were a delite. I felt so pampered. I was told by friends that their stay at the hotel was very good. My personal rating is A+. Excellent service, interaction with hotel staff and food were all very good.

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland? Share your experiences!