“Quality experience in Cleveland; needs renovation and better front desk service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland

Special Offer
Be A Rock Star
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

The Ritz is generally the best place to stay in Cleveland and i have stayed here in the past as well. It was striking that the place was starting to look tired and is need of refurbishment. Lobby service was average - front desk did not seem to be aware that i have stayed there before. Rooms were spacious and well appointed as per Ritz standards - only compliant was that everything felt a little old and tired. Bed was comfortable and the room and bathroom were clean.

Had to get to a different place for dinner and requested cab service - the front desk dropped the ball on that and had to wait 20 minutes for another cab to come and reached my destination late. This is not Ritz service.

Breakfast in the room was expensive but very good - arrived on time, was hot and well setup and tasty - provided a great start to the day.

Cab to the airport was similarly delayed - they need to work out a better system to communicate between the front desk and the desk at the lower level that calls cabs.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Kelly S, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Wings_Wheels,

Thank you so very much for your loyalty and your valuable feedback. I am very apologetic about the transportation issues that you experienced. I will discuss with our teams how we can improve the communication and ease of request for a seamless experience for you and our guests in the future. Please know I am available should you need anything in the future.

Kelly A. Steward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I have stayed at the Ritz many times and it is first class. Wonderful service. Impeccable rooms. However, if you want to enjoy an evening at the Horseshoe casino, good luck. The clientele, to be frank, is dangerous and the security is there to protect only its biggest gamblers. That means, if a thug comes and wants your seat, you better get up. Go to Windsor where you will be safe or anywhere else.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night while we were in town visiting family. I can't say enough great things about the hotel and staff. We were in a club room and the lounge and room were both incredible. We will be back every time we are in town.

Room Tip: Go for the Club room
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

It is probably the nicest hotel in Cleveland but doesn't feel like a Ritz. The rooms are small and are in need of some TLC. Drinks and food are expensive. Overall it feels more like an Autograph than a Ritz.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Kelly S, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear WorldTraveler 50226,

Your feedback is so appreciated and The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland is in the planning stages of a major property enhancement. I hope your next visit will exceed your expectations. I am available at your convenience if I may be of any assistance for future plans.

Hermitage, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Last night was our second stay. This hotel is beautiful and the staff is some of the friendliest and most helpful; the doormen, valets, bell desk, front desk, and maids met in the hall. The room is beautiful, very clean, and the bed is comfortable. No noise to keep me up Unfortunately, though assured they could and had, they could not give us room not filled with a perfumed scent. This perfume is also prevalent throughout the hotel. For people with asthma and emphysema with a sensitivity to scents this is a very real problem. So if you have no such problem I highly recommend the hotel. If you gamble at the Casino, discounts go up to completely comped.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Kelly S, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear Areways,

Thank you so very much for your comments. You are a valued guest of The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland. I so appreciate this feedback so that we can ensure your comfort. I have noted your preference and will ensure that we have a scent free-guest room for your future stays. Upon making your reservation, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel so that we can anticipate your needs.

Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I have been a guest at this hotel a number of time and always had a good experience in the past. However this most recent visit was surprising and very disappointing. Here are some of the disappointing elements.

Arrival: On prior visits, you were warmly greeted in the downstairs lobby and asked your name. Then they would radio this upstairs so that you were greeted personally once you got out of the elevator. Very nice touch. It didn't happen this time, which isn't a big deal, but the greeter outside the elevator upstairs was unfriendly and unwelcoming. He barely made eye contact with incoming guest. They were much nicer at the check-in desk and efficient as always. However they asked me if I had ever been at the hotel before. I assumed that this meant that my assistant had forgotten to put in my Ritz Rewards number on my reservation so I asked if it was there. It was and they had just forgotten to note that I was a frequent visitor. Again, not a huge deal but unlike the normal Ritz experience.

Lobby Lounge: There is a new woman behind the bar and maybe she is new but she missed one of our guests arrival twice. We had to remind her to take their drink order when she delivered the other drinks to the table. Again, twice.

Rooms: They are definitely due for a renovation. The carpet is starting to look a little tired and the bathroom needs updating. It is still a nice room when compared to the Hyatt or Hilton but this is supposed to be a luxury hotel. The bathroom is particularly in need of upgrading.

Breakfast: The waiter was clueless and disappeared for long periods of time. Our group needed to order quickly and it was difficult to get his attention. He was obviously distracted and kept looking at the door. And then when it was time to leave, he was nowhere to be found. One of our party had to go into the kitchen and ask if anyone knew where our waiter had gone.

Overall it was a very disappointing experience for a Ritz hotel. I sincerely hope that it was an aberration.

Dear Goodmaja,

Thank you so very much for your loyalty and taking the time to express these valuable comments. I am thrilled to learn that the majority of your experiences have been wonderful in the past and want to assure that I am deeply apologetic that we did not meet your expectations during your most recent stay. Please know that I will personally use this information as a great resource for retraining and focusing on the genuine care and comfort as well as highlighting the importance of recognition of our guests. I value relationships and would like the opportunity to speak with you and restore your faith in myself and our Ladies and Gentlemen. I am available at the hotel at your convenience

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night in a room with two queen beds. (Girls trip)...what an amazing hotel. A true first class experience. Every single employee was so amazingly friendly,helpful and courteous. The entire hotel from the lobby to our room was clean. The beds were so comfortable and the room was spacious and had every amenity needed. I stay in hotels quite often and this one is certainly top notch. Getting from the hotel to the casino through the mall was a little odd, but it was okay. I actually cannot wait to stay here again with my husband! Well done Ritz Carlton Cleveland!!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland? Share your experiences!