“Perfect Wedding Day” 5 of 5 stars

Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
“Perfect Wedding Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

We had an amazing stay at the Ritz the night before our honeymoon. It was perfect!

• Stayed May 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Kennebunkport, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

We spent a romantic weekend here. Service was excellent. Plenty of nearby restaurants and entertainment to walk to.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Galion, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

The service was impeccable as usual. We pulled in to the valet parking and the bellman took our bags immediately to check-in and then to room. We hung out in the bar on the six floor and enjoyed conversation time with fellow travelers. The beds in the room are super comfortable and the pre-set room temperature was set just perfect. The rooms and facility are very clean and the staff was extremely helpful and always asking if there was anything else they could do for us. We ate in the hotel several times and the food and presentation was also very impeccable. It would be really nice if the hotel chain considered just making the wireless access in the facility free to customers. In this day in age, it seems a little strange to pay for such a minor convenience. This was our second stay - the last was for pleasure - this one was for business.

Room Tip: I personally like the rooms facing the river side of the hotel. It makes for a nice view! I don’t...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

I'm on the road with the band but the only place we will stay in Cleveland Ohio is here we took a floor of rooms and and the staff are real nice rock on guys thanks see you next summer

• Stayed December 2011
Youngstown, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Christmas time at the Ritz, Cleveland. An all-girl staff party for my small business. Afternoon Christmas Tea then overnight. We were able to check in early after valet parking. Two adjoining rooms as requested. Rooms Ritz quality: well-appointed, meticulously clean and maintained, comfortable beds, nice linens and bath products. Christmas tea downstairs in pleasant lounge. Yummy teas, sandwiches and desserts with a holiday atmosphere. Service world class, gracious and attentive. All met or exceeded my expectations. An added plus: hotel has direct indoor access to Tower City Center with shopping, theaters, restaursants, and it's own holiday festivity.
Not for the bargain-minded. Definitely for special experience.

• Stayed December 2011
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

We've stayed at the Marriott, which is also very good, but this is a better location and the feel of the place is much more upscale. There is an attached covered mall. The lobby bar is very relaxing. The rooms are classy, but a touch in need of updating, especially the bathrooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the River
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Gaithersburg, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

First, I want to express that some (most) of my observations are small details--something that I possibly took for granted before, having stayed in many, many Ritz Carltons, and always on the club level. It is funny the things you notice only after they are missing!

My husband and I are Ritz Carlton Black card holders and have had platinum status for years and years. As such, we receive complimentary upgrades for participation in both plans. We booked a club suite package and were entitled to two upgrades, so they put us in the RC suite, which was nice. The views are spectacular and we were very pleased to see such accommodation. It was a super low occupancy weekend so we were glad that they were working to upgrade us.

I also appreciated that they were able to secure massage appointments for my husband and me at a late hour for the following day, and I noted that they were likely working to assist us even when off duty late that evening, and did a wonderful job to inform staff of our itinerary the following day.

The location seemed great on a map, but it is in a sketchy area. There were people loitering and homeless people peeing outside the front door. Even mid day, the bellmen/valets (they must be outsourced) are so busy chatting inside, they probably would not have noticed and called security). Some details are as follows:

1. No Valet or Bellman. When we arrived, there was no valet or doorman to greet us or meet us. We waited for several minutes for someone to emerge to assist us with our bags or to take our car. There were three men sitting on the stoop across the way, drinking, so we were slightly uncomfortable leaving our car without supervision. I realize that we arrived rather late (12:30), however, I have always loved to see the bellman as a part of what makes the "feel" of a particular property. From top hats in downtown Atlanta and Battery Park to knickers and page boy caps at Reynolds Plantation to the Mandarin collars at Kapalua, to showcase the Polynesian background, I find that the front of house sets the stage for an experience. Additionally, the benefit of having a bellman is not only to assist with bags after a long trip, but the bellman is also able to refresh ice and give great information about the room, property and location. I regret that we missed this experience.

We ordered room service that evening, and I noted that when we called, we had to have them call us back twice (once we asked a question, and again to order). Again, this isn't something highly significant, just a little inconvenient that they did not know who was calling (typically properties have the system pull the guest up so the staff can greet us as Mr. or Mrs. X). Again, I never paid much attention before, but I do note the extra step it is in fact, at least in my perception. The food, however, was wonderful. It tasted great, was cooked perfectly and was hot. We were pleased with the food quality and the quickness with which it was prepared and delivered. Do try the truffled mac and cheese, the steak, the bison burger, the salmon.....it was ALL good!!!

2. Locker room not Staffed or Serviced. We appreciate how quickly they were able to accommodate my requests for massage (we booked 4 over the course of the weekend). It was a solid massage experience for the price. I was surprised that there were no attendants downstairs, and we carried our own robes and slippers into the locker rooms--it was really awkward with the massage therapist following. My preference would have been for an attendant to be present and to have robes and slippers already in the lockers or brought in for us by a staff member. I also noticed shower curtains in the locker rooms---I think it should be a consideration for the property to move to something a little nicer--like glass doors. It was also awkward signing the checks in front of the therapists, another benefit of an attendant. It was also slightly strange to have the news blaring in the locker room immediately following a relaxing massage. Perhaps a guest did that?

3. Disappointing Housekeeping. Housekeeping was a disappointment as well. Again, these are merely details, but notable enough to be observed, nonetheless. Housekeeping talks very loudly in the hallways, which was a strange experience to me. I understand that a job should be enjoyable, but it was almost uncomfortable to see how loudly they were speaking. We were greeting about half the time, and with a "hi" or once even a "hey" (or nothing) rather than the customary "good morning" or "good afternoon." Also, we walked in on Friday afternoon and two housekeeping staff were in the room when we entered, one trying to see what was going on with the phone in the living room (which turned out to be broken) and the other leaned up against a wall in the foyer. It was striking to me how casual they were when we entered. Again, they were very polite and kind, and nothing inherently "wrong," just a little off the standards to which I am accustomed, I suppose. They just seemed to be "hanging out" in our room. Odd.

They offered to return at a later time, and Chris said we would probably leave around 3, and I told them we would call to have the room serviced. I called when we left (around 3:15) and asked that the room kindly be serviced, as we were heading out for the afternoon. The man who answered, verifying that I was speaking with room service, and when I made the request, said okay, and promptly hung up. No "have a good afternoon" or "is there anything else I can do for you." I was slightly offended, but certainly not enough to make a complaint. When we returned, the room had not been serviced, and at that point, I was irritated. We still had in room dining dishes out and I was pretty tired from our walk around downtown. I asked my husband to take care of it, and he called housekeeping to let them know the situation, and we called again before leaving for our dinner reservation.

Housekeeping did service when we were out that evening, but missed a few steps---the coffee/espresso was not refilled (I can only drink decaf, so was a little sensitive to this), did not empty the trash in the kitchen, and the dishes that had been used had not been replenished. We were also missing the sugars/splenda/creamer condiments that could have been replenished (as it was empty). Ice had not been filled, jackets were on the floor, and shoes were left atop each other. Typically, the trash would be changed, items refilled, clothing neatly hung or draped over a chair or folded, and shoes straightened. Also, the beds were made but during turndown service, there was no note on the weather for tomorrow (typically of most properties) and no chocolate, which was disappointing to my husband. Also, the phone was not repaired until later than evening by engineering. We were under the impression that housekeeping was going to send someone to repair/replace. Again--we know we could have received any of these items if requested, so neither of us was terribly upset, mostly surprised.

Today, we specifically asked Shaquita to request that housekeeping come when we were away this afternoon, and she very kindly obliged. Housekeeping came, but for the second time, did not empty trash, refill coffee or sugars, and this time cleared dishes, but did not wipe table tops. Even after turndown service this evening, the crumbs remain.

Again, I realize that this may sound really picky, and I don't normally notice these things, but we stay in hotels a LOT (my husband does team travel for a basketball team buys the hotel space for team travel and events and meals, often (almost exclusively) with Marriott properties, as is our preference, and I travel exclusively in Ritz Carltons for business; we are probably in hotels more than we are not!).

4. Room for Improvement at the Club. Last, I was slightly disappointed with the club. I know that many properties are or have already dropped from 5 to 4 per day food and beverage presentations, deleting the tea, which of course, is my favorite! I know this is likely a cost/usage issue and I understand that.

Breakfast on Friday was very disappointing. I felt that the options were very limited. There was no oatmeal, no fresh juice (again typically there is at the very least, fresh orange and grapefruit juice), and the cheeses were covered with oil beads and curled at the edges (probably because they were not refreshed---just typically what happens to cheese when it is left out for a period of time). The club had expired or soon to expire that day milk and yogurt, which we did not notice earlier in the day, but Alice caught that evening and replaced our milk for us---she is just fabulous, by the way, also scrounging up cookies for us that evening.

Lunch was just okay---nothing terrible but also nothing notable. Hors O'Deurves were just okay as well. The chicken satay was overcooked and dry, but was actually nicely flavored. It did not taste fresh to me. The dip presentations were disappointing too--the carafes are far too old and "cheap" looking for what I typically see. I just thought, overall, that there were a few little details that made this seem very much like a Marriott Concierge level, which is nothing bad--we appreciate those levels as well, but we certainly did reserve and pay for the club level with express expectations for a Ritz, not Marriott, experience.

I don't know if that was a function of Friday being very low occupancy or just an off day. Today was much better. Steel cut oats were out at breakfast (berries would be a nice addition if possible as would fresh juices!), the soup at lunch was stellar, and the options at Hors O'Deurves were better (although that chaffing dish was used again!)

As another suggestion, I have not seen a club single-staffed before. I assume this is again for payroll purposes, but it does drop the level of service. Typically we are offered drinks or beverages, and instead it was solely self-help (I was even taught how to use the coffee machine, and although it would have been nice if someone could bring me a cappuccino, Shaquita did catch that I accidentally prepared a regular, rather than the decaf, and kindly removed the cup so that I could prepare another--that was a wonderful catch by her). I do recognize that it was likely that the club staff was focused on preparing the next F&B presentation or assisting with other issues, but there were two occasions where we needed to make dinner reservations and ask a few questions about two sites you recommended for us, but for about 25 minutes, staff was busy preparing for the next F&B. Typically, we see a stationary (or at least very present) club concierge with a server/bus person available to assist with those sorts of things. Again, I realize that perhaps there are not enough guests to make it "worth it" to staff more than one person, but these things did become noticeable, at least, to me.

Lastly, I was surprised that there is no dress code. I saw people in the club dressed highly inappropriately--sagging jeans revealing backsides and other inappropriate dress--we ended up taking our food to our room. Emily was so kind to offer to help and the tray she provided (she actually even offered to carry it, but we declined) did just the ticket.

I again repeat that none of these issues are particularly glaring---these are just things I am accustomed to at other properties.

They certainly seemed concerned when I causally mentioned some of these things, but alas, when I submitted this by email to the manager, I didn't hear back. In fact, they bill was incorrect, and they corrected it, but when I arrived home, I noticed that they had charged us the incorrect original bill. They STILL have not corrected it. Honestly, any other property would have made some adjustment or the manager would have called/emailed me to follow up after our departure, but nope. Nothing.

My advice? Stay at the local Marriott. They have a better view, a great concierge level, and are about 1/2-2/3 the price. I would not be surprised if this location doesn't make it.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. If you must stay here, stay on the club level and ask for a view of the river...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple