“I had a great stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Cleveland
Melbourne
“I had a great stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Its a Ritz Carlton, so there is a certain amount of expectation. And, I thought the hotel reached it.
I arrived around midday and the room type I'd booked had not been vacated yet - so they upgraded me!
My room was very nice on the top floor and the service staff were excellent. Hotel is in an excellent location and is close to most sights.
I had read some less than favourable reviews of this Ritz Carlton and was a little cautious. For no reason as it turned out! In my view, a very good hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Naples, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

it's hard for me to write this review - we're still here, at the "Ritz" in Cleveland, and some of the staff have been great. On a par, maybe, w/ a good Hyatt or Renaissance.

But the hotel? Nowhere near a Four Seasons, Renaissance, The Breakers, or even a WDW "Luxury" resort. Much less a "Ritz" or even a Marriott in a serious city. And we've stayed in hotels of all those types all over the world.

The food has mostly been really good. I don't want the excellent staff - Emily, Audrey, Michelle, Mary - that we have encountered to suffer.

But, seriously? A Ritz-Carlton? We chose this hotel because it appeared to be one of the best - if not the best - in the state, when we were looking for a place for our anniversary getaway. Ohio doesn't have much to offer in the way of 4 star hotels. We wouldn't choose this one again.

The rooms - on the club level, the 14th floor - are tired and typical. Beds are comfy, but the decor & bathrooms are whatever. The room is no bigger or nicer or more luxurious than a Residence Inn. Internet is not included! Even on the concierge floor. Bathrooms are marble but small, crappy wallpaper, ceiling rose shower but no hand held or anything special. It feels like this hotel used to be something else, but the Ritz bought it & tried to rebrand? Or it's just a tired Ritz? Really tired.

If I had it to do all over again, we'd have gone to one of the Hyatts in Columbus. Way more value for the money, thought it saddens me to say so.

Room Tip: Rooms not worth it. Stay here 4, perhaps, the service & food.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

As you would expect (I guess) the Ritz Carlton is an upscale, clean hotel with courteous and efficient staff. I stayed for only 2 nights, and there were events around town and a wedding in the building. Considering the full house and wedding guests, there were no glitches in the service. The entrance closer to Public Square, requiring a walk through the Tower City Mall, was a little dicey. The side entrance on West 3rd Street, avoiding the mall, was much better. It is right on the edge of the warehouse district, which has some restaurants. It has a nice workout room, pool, etc.

This hotel stay worked out well for the purpose and duration of my trip. My only complaint is that the a/c in the room was pretty loud at times.

Tyler
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011 via mobile

Great rooms and location. Service was marginal. Had to wait for room to be ready. Waits at the bar and restaurant even though there were few other customers.

• Stayed July 2011
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Really enjoyed my brief stay here. Lost my cell phone and the staff went out of there to find it. They even helped me figure out that I left it in a taxi, at which point I figured since it wasn't somewhere at the hotel that I would be on my own. But no, the bellman asked me to describe what the taxi looked like, figured out the cab company, and called them for me until they figured out exactly which driver picked me up from the airport. It was like finding a needle in a haystack and I would have *never* been able to do that in an unfamiliar city if it weren't for the Ritz staff. The room itself was really nice, upscale and modern but not overly trendy and not overly antiqued-looking like so many of them can look like. The bed was one of the best I've ever stayed in and I was sad to leave it. Overall great hotel!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

A lovely hotel. We stayed for one night. We had a suite on the 7th floor. It is not a Ritz like in LA, SF or Miami. It is old world. Smaller, rich in art, in a wonderful old building located downtown. We had to decide between the intercontinental (where everyone going to the Cleveland Clinic stays), or the Ritz. This was a good decision. Only one small complaint. The air conditioner was a bit loud. If in Cleveland again, we will stay there.

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

This was my third visit in three months and did not disappoint. From the moment you reach the property, you are greeted and treated like a valued guest. The bell staff was extremely helpful. They were great ambassadors for the city of Cleveland....so nice to see them excited about the city and their jobs. We stayed on the club level, and it was a fantastic experience. Emilie and her staff were attentive and helped to make our stay most comfortable! It was a pleasure to speak with Emilie, Shaquita, Jasmine and Alice while we relaxed and enjoyed the food presentations in the club lounge. We enjoyed it so much that we hated to leave the property..

The rooms and the bathrooms are large and decorated simply yet beautifully. It was very quiet. Our room looked out on Lake Erie and the Cuyahoga River...very nice.

The only thing that I would suggest for improvement would be to keep the club lounge open until 11:00 pm rather than 9:30.

I wholeheartedly recommend this property and look forward to our next visit with all of our kids to see the Indians win a few ball games!

For dining off property, there is a cool restaurant area on east 4th that is a quick walk from the hotel. We enjoyed dining at Michael Symon's Lola one night. We would have tried a few of the other restaurants if we had the time.

We also saw Jersey Boys at the State theater in beautiful Playhouse Square. The restored theaters are beautiful...great venues for a show or concert.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland? Share your experiences!