“The Ritz Carlton makes one feel like a dignitary, balanced with a feeling that one is an intimate.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland

Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Commerce Twp, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

My first visit to the Ritz Carlton I valet parked my car, and was greeted by the Valet Service by my name. The atmosphere was almost an English period; tables with tasteful fresh vases of fresh smelling flowers were found on every floor.

During lunch time, I had a lovely surprise from the housekeeper; she brought me fresh baked cookies and tea, and I had not asked for the snack. She did this on her own.

I have a standard I always follow if service is great; tip great! They will always remember a good tipper. It is worth it in the long run.

At the check in desk, when one reaches the desk, one is greeted by name. They will make dinner reservations at the five star restaurant at this point, should one decide to stay at the hotel. I definitely suggest this decision, as I have dined frequently at the restaurant, even when I moved into my loft downtown, for the ambience and equisite dining. If one prefers to have sushi, the hotel boasts of a premier bar; moreover, the Sunday brunch is incredible. Now, the costs are high; for example, I could pay about $30.00 for breakfast plus tip. However, quality is worth the cost, as what is life without leisure?

If one prefers even more preferential treatment, reserving rooms on the Concierge Floor is phenomenal. The elevators open to a room, with a display of different foods for breakfast, lunch or dinner and in between times. It is open to special guests. One will be attended to on arrival, and checked periodically for refreshment requests and any other needs for its premier guests. One can oversee the river; it is a quiet place for business meetings, solo travelers and partners for romantic times.

The hotel offers packages, so one should inquire on the website or contact the hotel directly.

I love this hotel and I would highly recommend it as one of the top hotels I have visited. I am a world traveler and this gives me a point of reference for establishments.

Room Tip: Be a generous tipper on your first stay.
  • Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

We've stayed in other Ritz Carlton properties and trust this name. We expected a smooth experience on this trip, as we were returning from a funeral. We arrived at about 9 pm on a Saturday evening.

The rooms were fine (ours seemed fairly modern) the staff was mostly friendly (although it was 5+ minutes before a front desk clerk acknowledged us), but we were very disappointed that (a) the restaurant wouldn't seat us, as we'd been waiting for hours to eat and they were closing in 45 minutes, and (b) we also could not have breakfast there the next morning, as any and all reservations for breakfast had already been booked for Mother's Day. (I'm at a loss as to why hotel guests would not have precedence). We also had a billing issue that eventually was sorted out (we booked a package that covered breakfast/room service and valet parking but were charged for both).

I probably would still recommend staying here - it is by far the nicest hotel in Cleveland and the only TRUE four star (all the others are two and a halfs or threes at best) but Ritz properties are notoriously busy during the weekend, especially during warm weather and wedding season, so make sure if you want to take advantage of any amenities, you plan ahead or you may be caught short.

Room Tip: Book ahead and plan ahead.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

Pros: Very good service, friendly / helpful staff, room service food is tasty, hotel's restaurant is first-class
Cons: Rooms (club-lounge) are in need of refurbishing / remodeling (e.g. have to stand in a bath while showering in a 5* hotel?), spa should be bigger (i.e. one, relatively small, sauna and hamman tucked away in the gym's locker room)
Verdict: Fine hotel overall, except for the outdated hotel room.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

I'd like to thank the Ritz for my recent stay. The room was beautiful with a good view. Reception was superb. My mom loved how they whisked my sister and her bags up to the room- no sweat.

I have had many in town guests here and have been to the restaurants, bars, etc in the hotel. Ironically, room service is the best food here. I have a friend coming at the end of the month and have insisted he stay here. I have stayed at many Ritz Carlton hotels and this one is one of my favorites. They treat your right! I forgot the name of the lady who checked us in but she did a great job!

If you need dining ideas you can go to Hyde Park or Morton's in the Tower City Mall (same building as Ritz) or walk over to East 4th street for a number of great Cleveland restaurants. You can also come down to W 6th street for fine dining and bars as well (short cab ride or medium walk).

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Clevleand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

Stayed there for New Year's Eve. Very helpful & kind staff. However, we could hear EVERY little noise coming from the hallway. I understand the excitement of the holiday, but I just thought the doors & walls would be of a better quality to keep the noise out.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas,TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

The prior couple of reviews are spot on for my night there. As you would hope or expect, everything was flawless, and plenty of staff eager to jump on any requests. No compromises because it's "Cleveland." (a city which I think has gotten a worse rub than deserved. They've had tough economic blows but for business travel as far as I see they've got their act together with the airport, highways, restaurants, and sports teams. I was highly impressed at the fast and thorough job they did with the winter roads too.)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

I spent 3 night at the Ritz Carlton in Cleveland while visiting my daughter, a college student. I booked at the RC to mitigate the Cleveland effect. My stay was pricey, but it did the trick. Food id very good, staff attentive, atmosphere soothing and pleasurable. My main complaint is that they did not provide transportation to/from the airport. Come on! The alternative is a pricey cab fare in a beat-up smelly taxi. You'd think that the RC would extend itself a bit here, providing at least a suitable car to shuttle guests from Hopkins International.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland? Share your experiences!