“Needs a serious face lift.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay for Breakfast
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Cleveland
Pennsylvania
“Needs a serious face lift.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

I get the feeling that this old hotel is screaming for a face lift. The hotel, although beautiful, is starting to show it's age. Rooms and hallways are quite spacious for a hotel of its age, but the furniture, carpet, lighting, and decor is looking a bit dated.

I've stayed in the hotel several times while in the Cleveland area-- which says something I suppose considering I keep going back-- but the main reason is due to it's location, and not the overall wonderful feeling I get after staying in the hotel. The Renaissance is a luxury brand, but I don't get that feeling all the time after leaving the place.

I recommend the hotel with caution. It's a comfortable hotel where the staff will take care of you, but lacking in some of the luxury items that you would expect from the Renaissance.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

My wife and I stayed one night at the Renaissance when we were in town to see a Cavaliers game. We opted for their Cavaliers Fast Break package, which seems like an excellent deal: room for a night, parking in the hotel's garage, breakfast buffet for 2, and $20 in concessions vouchers at Quicken Loans Arena for about $20 over the regular room rate.

The hotel was under renovation during our stay, but that didn't cause us much inconvenience. The lobby is very pleasing to the eye, and our room was simple yet comfortable. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. We strolled around the adjacent Tower City shopping area, and were able to walk all the way to the Q arena without going outdoors.

After the game, we stopped in the hotel bar, which remained fairly busy until almost 1AM. Our bartender was a little slammed, but took good care of us as far as drinks and food. It definitely was a little cozier than your typical hotel bar, with comfortable low chairs on the back side of the bar.

In the morning, the breakfast buffet was better than average on quality, though the selection was pretty typical: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, pancakes, fruit, cereal and yogurt.

All in all, a short but nice stay. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Columbus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

I traveled to Cleveland for a family celebration and arrived later than I expected and was immediately assisted with my bags and valet parking so that I could shower and change to make a family dinner. The rooms were very comfortable and clean but the hallway decor needs to be updated. Guest services provided a various items needed by family members with a smile on their face each time they came up. Check out was a breeze and we even received comp on parking because we had such a large party.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

Upon arrival I was pleased with the grand old hotel. But I left unsatisfied. This hotel is three stars tops, definitely not four. An ancient tube TV, expensive internet fees and exorbitant business center prices (a $35 fee to tape a Fed Ex box that already had a pre-paid shipping label!) totally turned me off from this property.

Another problem is that the hotel is under renovation so contractor noise starts at 8am - good morning!

The last straw was when we showed up at 11:30pm with a lot of luggage and there was no night porter, just one woman at the front desk who sent a 45 year old female housekeeper down to help us - no thanks!

And no to the Renaissance.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
valpo100
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

We lived in Cleveland while attending graduate school, and we used to walk through the lobby of this elegant hotel and daydream of having the means to return and stay in one of its beautiful rooms. We were passing through Cleveland and decided to spend the night and fulfill our dream. A friend that works with White Lodging (Marriott) offered his friends and family discount to us in our travels, and we took him up on it. We had our children (9 and 12) with us.

Though I was the only person at the front desk upon check-in, the young lady checking us in was less than enthusiastic. When I phoned her from the room a few moments after check-in to inquire about breakfast, she stated we already got a discount so our breakfast would not be included. I actually phoned to ask WHERE we could dine for breakfast in the morning, not what it was going to cost us. Ouch! Having said that, every other interaction with hotel personnel was better, and breakfast in the hotel restaurant was delicious.

The once elegant corridors, elevators, and room floors were all in need of vaccuming and cleaning. There was visible debris in all areas. Our room had two comfortable beds, but the room was so tiny one bed was up against the wall and there was barely room for our suitcases. We had to put them on the dirty floor under the desk so we would have room to walk. Also, there was no way to regulate the temperature. We were unable to locate a thermostat, and the register had one unmarked knob that didn't seem to work. No exhaust fan in the bathroom made for a steamy, warm room when the shower was used. We had to open the room door to ventilate. Considering we were right across from the fitness center, it was a bit intrusive.

Parking was convenient and the downtown location was close to eateries and entertainment. I was unable to connect to the internet. Gave up after a few tries.

Wish I could be more positive. Perhaps the other 2 hotels we had just stayed in on our trip set the bar higher.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
World
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

We stayed this weekend for the Cleveland International Film Festival, this hotel was, along with the Ritz-Carlton, an official Festival hotel. I foolishly assumed this meant the hotel would be full of fellow, disciminating moviegoers. FALSE. Should have stayed at the beautifully renovated Ritz.

On the plus side, the rooms are very nicely done here, recently renovated (at least the one we had), but note that we were in a larger room on the 6th floor. The room is reasonably clean, however the guest corridors and elevators are NASTY. I don't think they have shampooed or vacuumed those in years. The elevators look like they were there since the 1970s with no upgrading. I have said this before and will say it again - don't most hotel managers realize that the elevator is the place where their guests spend the most time standing, staring, and looking about? Spruce up your elevators! Or at the very least, keep them clean!

The worst thing is that we were kept up late, until midnight, by those who were really occupying the hotel - a convention of little kids, yelling and screaming down the corridors while their parents were blitzed in the hotel rooms. We know this is the case because by midnight my wife had had enough and had to step out of the room to quite them down while a mother stumbled out of a room and said "are they loud?" They were RIGHT outside of our door yelling! What do you think? We saw these same mothers stealing ALL of the cups off a housekeeping cart earlier in the day.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Plymouth, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

I stayed a week while a family member was at the Cleveland Clinic. The CC hotels (Intercontinental, Intercontinental Suites, Guest House) were very expensive, and the IC was very cold with many doctor conferences (do you really want to hear medical talk all of the time ?)

This hotel is about 6 miles from the CC, and is very comfortable and high end. I was able to get a very good rate via price line (who goes to Cleveland in Feb?). The lobby and common areas are just gorgeous and very comfortable retreat after a long day at the CC. My room was HUGE, very clean, and comfortable. I cannot say enough about how great the staff was. Everyone went out of their way to make me feel welcome and comfortable while providing professional and excellent service.

I ate often in the lobby bar, which is very intimate and cozy. They offer food from the bar, resturaunt, and room service. Prices are very low for the quality. I ate breakfast in the hotel resturaunt several times and it was just lovely sitting by the window. The food is excellent.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone that needs a room by the CC, business traveler, nice getaway weekend, nice dinner, etc. The downtown Union Square area is probably the nicest area around (the cleveland clinic area is a bit scary). You will need good directions or an in car navigtor as it can get tricky finding your way back from a very long tiring day at the Clinic (it may just be me....).

You won't be disappointed. I am one of the most picky when selecting a hotel and typically book one day at a time just in case I do not like it. I left with a very reasonable bill, and a nice stay as compared to those that stayed at any of the CC hotels (which are lacking in comfort, a bit too much like the hospital, located in a not so great area, and very very expensive).

While I would have loved if this hotel were right by the CC like the Intercontinental, I was very happy I stayed at this hotel vs. the IC.

One Negative (and this goes for all of the hotels in the area) - they charge for in room wi fi, and also charge a HUGE amount for a bottle of water. I think these basics should be free as they can't cost that much. The IC charges as well, as does all of the hotels in Cleveland (Cleveland seems a bit backwards)

Parking is expensive as are the hotels at the CC and in Cleveland downtown. There is a city lot right next to the hotel that charges $10 for the night. Use that lot to save $20 every night (you don't need valet parking)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Been to Renaissance Cleveland Hotel? Share your experiences!