“Very Nice Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 34 Hotels in Cleveland
chicago
“Very Nice Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Just got back from weekend stay, Stayed in room 1023. Was inside room so view was of the indoor pool. Noise from kids in the pool woke me up one morning. Otherwise, was a great stay. Hotel is old but in a grand way. Very clean and beds are great. Housekeeper's were very friendly and did a great job. Nice Flat HD TV with a lot of channels and HBO. Great central location. Train from airport takes you right to the hotel. Elevator's very fast. My room was small but cozy and nice. The bathroom was maybe a little smaller then some but was clean and modern. Will be back again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Greetings from Cleveland and thank you for the wonderful four star review. We're terribly sorry that you were inconvenienced by noise from our pool area and on your return visit, we suggest that you request a street-facing guest room. While we can never guarantee a particular room location or layout, it most definitely can never hurt to ask. We work diligently to accommodate such requests. Thank you once again, and we hope to see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Stayed 2 nights in a queen bed room looking down on the pool.

I'd agree with another reviewer on signage: I was unaware I could avoid stairs at front entrance by seeking an elevator in back, next to pricey business centre. I did see a word sign, but still wasn't sure there was an elevator in behind - past the closed lower lounge.

Teresa checked me in early. Very personable. No king bed available immediately, so she offered a queen bed room. Perfect. Two days later, she was especially helpful on my checkout as well (providing access to the fitness after my early checkout)

Lobby is a wow. Really elegant. Includes a lobby bar, a large sitting area, and restaurant at the back. You can print boarding passes for free at business centre or at a computer lobby level.

Room hallways have great wall colors, photoart with lighting, bold carpeting. My room was somewhat compact, but had everything I needed. Long, bright bathroom. Workdesk, safe in closet, clock radio with charger for my iPhone. Although you can't set a temperature with the air conditioner, it worked fine. Not much natural light, but quality light fixtures. Two telephones.

I wasn't that impressed with 5th floor pool - with unusual shape and large seating area - but fitness centre had cardio machines with TVs built-in. Three ellipticals, a bike and reclined bike, at least 2 treadmills, and a weight station that was beyond my comprehension. There's also more weights by the change rooms. Apples, newspapers, and chilled cloths are all part of the experience. Fitness centre is 24 hours with your room access card, although pool closes at 10pm.

Joe at lobby bar was kind, personable, and attentive. It's clear that he moves to get his work done. Had a great chicken sandwich - best in a long time - at the bar.

Luggage check was slow - both in taking my luggage (I waited over 5 mins for someone to show) and retrieval. Front desk eventually called for someone to take my luggage.

This hotel is attached to shopping mall, transit station, food court, casino. Certainly not cheap; great experience overall.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Hello and thank you for taking the time to post such a thorough review of your stay. We appreciate the four star review and of course, we very much appreciate you choosing to stay with us while in Cleveland. Your comments specifically about Joe, have all been passed to our general manager for her review. Thank you once again.
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

This ideal downtown location has been the site of a hotel for near 200 years. This latest version has been restored and the interior is quite a treat to see. The entrances are on ground level, but the front desk is on the second floor -- old style. Check-in was efficient, but I did notice they were short staffed at time.

The guest rooms are oversized with plenty of room to stretch out. Housekeeping was very good, keeping the place clean and all supplies up to date. They were friendly as well. I had experience with the concierge lounge. Personable staff sees to your needs and keeps the food and drink resupplied. I noticed they knew the regulars and wanted to know when they would return.

The restaurant is a nice place broken up into smaller spaces. Food and service was very good for a large hotel. The bar was busy every night. The servers came around just often enough and provided snacks and good drinks.

Overall, a very good experience for a very big hotel that handles a mix of regulars, large groups and the more unusual guest. I would return. I was especially impressed with the overall maintenance level in hotel, something tough to manage in a building this large.

Room Tip: Take the elevator to the first floor for fast street access. Skip the front desk and bar level.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Greetings from Cleveland and thank you for the wonderful four star review! We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed everything and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

This is one of those hotels that makes you just feel great walking inside because it's akin to something out of a classic movie. Stunning chandeliers, arched ceilings, and rich textures punctuate the handsome lobby while a sweeping staircase deposits guests near registration.

We were upgraded to an enormous suite with a full sized dining table, marbled bathroom, and all the amenities one could possibly need. We even had a little bit of a water view.

The hotel has a very lively bar near the lobby and it's in a great location whether you want to go to a baseball game, Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame, or hit the casino which is next door but worlds away. There's a shuttle that drops off right in front of the hotel that will take you down to the waterfront area where the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame is and some great boating tours.

There were a couple service issues. Check in was a mad house - so crazy that they were giving away free drinks from the bar. Also, in our room housekeeping apparently gave up at one point and just threw a stash of products in the window sill which was an interesting presentation.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for the wonderful four stars. We appreciate you visiting and taking the time to post. As for your service issues noted, we are truly sorry. Our general manager would like the opportunity to speak with you about these. Should you have the time, please email your information with contact details to rencleveland@renaissancehotels.com so that she may reply. We are very sorry, and we do thank you for visiting. Safe travels.
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Very nice lobby area with a grand bar area and a wonderful little restaurant. I was not impressed with the rooms though for the cost. No fridge in the room and a big gaudy desk/table that takes up most of the room. The bed was rather lumpy for my taste. I had a room that overlooked the atrium area and kids were playing in it and it was rather noisy.I treid to use the concierge lounge on my floor and found it closed, although the sign indicated that it should have been open. The staff were very accomondating though, so that was a plus. There is a casino nearby so the area around the hotel is rather busy and a huge downtown mall which had lots of restaurants and retail shops to check out. I found it weird that the interior rooms did not have heat and they recommended that you open your windows to let in the heat, but that was counterproductive because of the noise in the atrium. I used my points for the room so I got a break there. If I had been paying the prices they were asking for a room I would have been even more critical. The restaurant in the hotel Souchi Souche or something like that was very accomondating. When I could not use the hotel concierge lounge to get an evening tea and snack they let me in and I was able to enjoy their Buckeye Pie (delicious) and an assortment of teas. They also had a wonderful breakfast buffet with lots of food and omlettes to order and again the staff was very friendly and accomondating.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Hello Carley. Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post. We are sincerely sorry for your disappointments while visiting - particularly with your guest room. Please know that each of our 491 guest rooms are totally unique in size and layout. We hope that you will in fact visit again and experience a room that is more to your liking. On a positive note, thank you so much for the wonderful compliments about Sans Souci. We have passed these to our executive chef and his team. Thank you again and we do apologize.
Hallandale Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

If you like the smell of mold and mildew the minute you open your hotel room door, stay here. Utterly and absolutely disgusting for over $300/night. Check in was painful. Asked to be upgraded to concierge level so I could take advantage of club lounge, and lady didn't know the code to upgrade me....and how to charge me for it. Not sure the last time the room was used but a fine layer of dust was all over the metal toilet fixtures. And let me mention those metal fixtures---elementary school lavatories and airports have better toilets. You flush the toilet by depressing the metal wand with your foot! No tank, no resemblance to a "real" toilet. UGH.

So now I'm paying for concierge lounge access. Looking at the website since I want coffee before I shower, I read 6 am. Imagine my surprise when the doors are locked and signage says 630am!! I walk down 2 doors and hear the waitstaff laughing, talking while prepping with a radio blaring. I knock on the door hoping they'll take pity on me and give me a cup of coffee. Next thing is the radio is turned off and not another sound as if they were pretending not to be there! Yes, there's a 1 serve coffee pot in my room, but if I'm disgusted to walk on the rugs, do you think I'm going to brew coffee in that? The air conditioning (if you call it that) is the old time fan system built under the window with no temperature control, just a toggle switch for manual/off/auto with a dial with warmer or cool. Try getting it to regulate! I fiddled for awhile and gave up, covering most of the vent with 2 pillows and a hand towel held down with a book!

The latest initiative of being green and 'saving the environment' is code word to save $$$ in the hotel industry. Unless you ask, they do not change your sheets for 3 days! They save the environment and $$$ on staff, water, detergent but no savings are passed along to the consumer. How about if we "opt in" for that lack of service and get free wifi or another amenity so we can all share in our concern for the environment? I think it's a ploy to just hire less staff and add to the bottom line under the pretense of saving the environment (which I agree with but let's all share in the economic savings!).

No makeup mirror in the bathroom so luckily I travel with one. Towels were of nice quality and Lilliputian sized Aveda products....don't all those millions of supposed biodegradable containers harm the environment? So much for the "green" policy!

The grand lobby was opulent, like stepping into a Newport mansion, but my room was awful. All I keep thinking is I will be getting Legionaires disease with the mold and mildew smell!

While I appreciate the beauty of historical places, travelers expect better for $300+/night.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Hello Paula and thank you very much for visiting. We are terribly sorry for any and all issues you may have experienced while visiting. Our general manager would very much like the opportunity to speak with you and to help make this right. Should you have the time, we would appreciate an email with contact information to rencleveland@renaissancehotels.com so that we can help. We are truly sorry and we hope to hear from you. Thank you once again for taking your time to post.
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

For a centralized location to explore Cleveland, this place is hard to beat. The lobby & public areas are very grand. However, our room was very compact & for the price, it was a bit much. Glad we didn't spend a lot of time there.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Greetings and thank you very much for visiting. We appreciate you taking the time to post. We wanted to let you know that regarding your guest room, actually each of our 491 rooms are totally unique in size and layout. No two rooms are alike due to the historic nature of our beautiful hotel. We apologize that you were disappointed and we hope that you'll visit again in the future. Safe travels and thank you fro visiting Cleveland.

Been to Renaissance Cleveland Hotel? Share your experiences!