“Great hotel in downtown Cleveland” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Calling all Cavs fans!
Ranked #21 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
San Antonio, Texas
“Great hotel in downtown Cleveland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

I stayed here the first week in April. The staff was very accommodating and the room was excellent. I had no issues during my stay. The location was convenient to downtown, local transportation, and the casino. The internet connection was fast and stable. Room service was prompt and accurate. I will stay here again on my next trip to Cleveland.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Hello unxman and thank you for taking the time to write. We love the fact that you will be returning to our property on your next visit. Thanks again and safe travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Fenton, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I stayed here thru a promotional comp from horseshoe casino. The hotel was nice. The workers were terrific except for the front desk. First of all I called to verify my early check in and my king bed reservation. The girl said we have you in a 2 bed room and no note about early check in. So i called the vip at the horseshoe and they were able to straighten out the king bed but not the early check in. I called from the road the day of arrival and the girl said call back after 11am about early check in. So i did they put me on hold and hung up on me after 15 mins. When i arrived at 12:30 they said they would call my cell when my room was ready. At 3:30 I still hadn't heard from them so I went to the front desk and my room was ready. They promised to deliver a paper to my door at my request in the morning. No paper arrived. I got a paper that they hide in the back at the front desk and they apologized about not delivering the paper and they promised again to deliver one in the morning. They didn't deliver that one either. It seemed that I was imposing on their day when I asked for anything even for a wake up call.
I can't imagine people paying for that kind of treatment. It said the room was 399 a night on the door. I won't be staying there again even for free. If I were the horseshoe i would drop this hotel off their list. It makes them look bad.
I got the impression the people at the front desk don't like the casino traffic in THEIR hotel. Well i got news for the front desk, do your job or quit. You are not the owners only clerks that work there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Hello Mark and thank you very much for visiting and for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your experience. Our general manager would like the opportunity to speak with you directly about your situation. Should you wish to contact her, please do so at rencleveland@renaissancehotels.com. We sincerely apologize for the situation you describe involving our front desk team. Thank you once again and we hope to see you again on your next visit.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Really liked this historic hotel. The lobby bar was great. Stayed in a suite that was really nice. Huge sitting area and dining room table. Great views of the city. It is next door to the mall and casino. The steak restaurant across the street is nice as well. Great location. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Hello Eric and thank you for writing! We appreciate you staying with us and we love hearing all of your wonderful compliments! Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!
mentor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

If you are in town to go gamble away your money then this is your place. Its very close to everything. Its a very nice building and very nice inside. Just alittle on the expensive side. The staff are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Hello gingerriss and thank you not only for staying, but for taking the time to write and for the four star review. We hope to see you again on your next trip to downtown Cleveland.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stay here a lot for business. Overall, there is nothing terrible about the hotel, but there are just some things that I think could be improved upon, given it's a Renaissance property. First, most of the rooms are small. If you get upgraded to a suite, then it's fine. Otherwise, really small room. Not a big deal when traveling for work, but I almost feel claustrophobic in some of them. The sheets could be of higher quality. They feel almost crunchy - either a lot of starch, or a poly/cotton blend. No lotion in the bathrooms. Again - maybe not a big deal to some, but this is a Renaissance. Elevators are slow, hallways seem dark. And one time, I had a room overlooking Public Square, and some guy decided it was a good idea to play his saxophone in the square at 3am. Hotel didn't want to send security when I called (it's a public square), but did offer to move me. At 3am….offered no apology or discount for having half of my night ruined when I checked out.

Not a lot of restaurants within walking distance, really, especially after dark. Connected to the casino, which is convenient, if that's your thing.

If my boss didn't insist on staying here when we're in Cleveland, I'd go back down the street to the Hyatt.

Room Tip: To ensure a quiet sleep, ask for a room overlooking the atrium.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Hello Tracy and thank you for taking the time to write your review. We're terribly sorry to hear about your disappointments while visiting. Please note that each of our 491 guest rooms are completely unique in both size and layout, due to the historic nature of our nearly 100 year old property. Regarding your comments on the lotion, noise issues, etc. - please know that we have passed all to our general manager for her review. Should you wish to contact her directly about your experience, please feel free to email her at rencleveland@renaissancehotels.com. Once again on behalf of our entire team, we apologize once again. Thank you.
Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

When I first arrived at this Renaissance, I was prepared to be disappointed. The building is very old, and when you first step into the hotel, it really looks dated. The rooms aren't up to what I would consider "normal" Renaissance standards, BUT, I was surprised.

The location can't be beat - just a block or so from the downtown area and some great restaurants. Try Lola!

Although the room is a little dated, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was great and it was very quiet. The only thing I didn't like was that there was no temperature control on the heat - you could just turn it up or turn it down.

The concierge level folks were wonderful, always greeting me with a smile, striking up conversation and remembering me. I really appreciate this since I'm on the road quite a bit. The staff at the hotel was very warm, and willing to go out of their way to make sure I was accommodated.

The hotel restaurant is, again, dated looking, however, was always busy and delicious! Try the homemade chips - outstanding!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Hello tinkin3 and thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review. We certainly appreciate your feedback and have passed everything on to our general manager. We hope that you'll stay with us again on your next visit to Downtown Cleveland. Safe travels!
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stayed here one night...actually wish it were more! The building is an older building downtown, which actually concerned me a bit, but once inside I was relieved. The lobby area is older looking, but classic, lots of marble, a fountain.

The room I had was very sizable, nice working space, big king bed, very comfortable overall. Towels were soft and abundant. The bathroom was older in style you could tell...but updated to be clean and convenient. Decorations in the room were modest, but again it really was a great stay.

There are a lot of walkable places around, including the casino next door.

One annoyance...parking. Couldn't valet, nobody there, garage is a bit confusing on getting from parking spot to hotel. A bit of a pain.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
dumpty27, thany you very much for the thorough review of our historic property. We are sincerely sorry for any situation with our valet and please know that we have passed this information to our general manager. Should you wish to provide any further details, we would welcome that feedback. You may email our gm directly at rencleveland@renaissancehotels.com. Once again, we thank you for staying and we hope to see you again very soon here at the beautiful Renaissance Cleveland!

Been to Renaissance Cleveland Hotel? Share your experiences!