“A gem of a hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Michigan
“A gem of a hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Recently stayed at the Renaissance Cleveland on a sold-out Saturday night. I found check-in to be quick and easy with no problems. I had read other reviews about the rooms being small and noisy but I found our room to be average size and the beds were extremely comfortable with a good selection of pillows. Despite being sold out with a pretty rowdy "Bon Jovi" crowd I found the room very quiet and slept great. Would stay there again in a minute.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Absolutely nothing wrong WHATSOEVER! I'm from this area and this is without a doubt the best night I've spent in my home city!

Dinner was fantastic, the room was exquisite, the staff even left my girlfriend & I a plate of crackers and cheeses with a bottle of wine after they found out I was deployed and home on leave. Top notch staff!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

I was there for a company conference. I walked around the hotel, casino and the shopping plaza all connected to the hotel. I don't believe it would be fair to rate the hotel based on the plaza or casino but I will mention it is connected through a hall way right next to the lobby. I didn't like the fact that anyone could and did come into the hotel lobby. I was approached a few times in the shopping plaza and just didn't feel comfortable walking around alone in the shopping plaza and didn't want to go outside the hotel for long. I'm a smoker but wouldn't chance going outside the Hotel after dark. I was on the 11th floor and was woke up by sirens 2 times even being that high it was still pretty loud. I guess you can say its a great location if you want in the heart of the city. The rooms were very clean and the bed comfortable. I could hear the people in the next room on both sides and I could see into the hallway because there was a quarter inch gap around the door. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing the hotel though. It's a old hotel and has a lot of fine qualities throughout. It's very hard to compare it to a newer hotel that can have a more updated guest rooms. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Check in and out was very fast, a pleasant surprise because there were many large groups. I'm not used to being in the center of any city but if you like and are used to the city scene I would recommend this hotel. Great views and a great historic feel.

• Stayed March 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have to say I was a bit hesitant to stay at this hotel based on previous reviews but it was the recommended hotel for a friend who was getting married in town so we decided to give it a shot. And I just have to say we were blown away by the room size, excellent customer service, and convenient location. First of all, I took the other reviewer's advice and requested a room on a higher floor facing Public Square. Being only a Silver Marriott member, I wasn’t sure the request would be honored. But I went online a few days in advance using the Virtual Concierge for this request and was very pleased when a representative emailed me personally to tell me a room had been reserved on the 12th floor facing Public Square. She even asked what time to anticipate our arrival so that our room would be ready on time. When we arrived at the hotel, we took other reviewer's suggestions and did not park in the hotel deck or use the valet as it was very crowded in the front entrance at the time we arrived. My fiancé dropped me off with our bags while he went to park in the lot directly across the street (for only $10 and we were never charged after that for the entire weekend!). Even though we did not valet park, the valet/baggage staff were very helpful opening the doors for me and asking if I needed assistance. They even pointed me towards to elevators to the check in area without pushing to take my bags from me. Check-in was swift with a friendly front desk clerk and when we got to our room we could not believe it. The room was HUGE with a very large bathroom with a spacious vanity area as well. The bed was comfortable and we had all of the usual amenities for the bathroom including robes and plenty of towels. We had no problems at all with housekeeping. We slept in Saturday morning with the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. When we left the hotel around 1pm, we just informed the front desk that we were going out so they could refresh the room. When we returned less than 2 hours later, the room was clean with a made bed and fresh towels. After the wedding on Saturday night, several of us returned to the bar area and the bar staff/bartenders were fabulous. The inside of the Renaissance lobby/bar area is absolutely gorgeous with the beautiful chandeliers and ornate architecture.

Now the only negative things I can report is that there were several rude guests nearby who felt the need to let their hotel room door slam hard every time they entered or exited their room which caused most of nearby doors and walls to shake. Not sure why this was the case every time but sound does echo in those wide hallways. Even doors several rooms down the hall from us would cause our door to shake when slammed. It was pretty annoying especially late at night/early in the morning. Also we tried all weekend to get our room to a comfortable temperature with no success. It was either too hot or too cold but wasn't completely unbearable. The room had two older units in the wall with separate controls. We only used one of these as one was more than enough for heat. Considering it was absolutely freezing outside, I found the warm side of the controls a little more appealing! Of course there was the occasional "city noise" of sirens but nothing you wouldn't expect in a downtown hotel. It wasn't so bad I would want to stay in the darker interior rooms I had read about. Also this doesn't have anything to do with the hotel but the Tower City Center is pretty shady. The restaurants are nice as the rehearsal dinner was held at one of the restaurants on Friday night and it was very convenient to walk inside over to Tower City Center. But I wouldn't want to be venturing back late at night as we noted some "unusual" people hanging out around there. We didn't go to the casino but we heard from others it was very nice.

The main thing that stood out to us was the generosity of the staff from the Brasserie Restaurant. Our friends had a brunch on Sunday morning for everyone. Unfortunately I was sick that morning and could not attend. However when my fiancé left the brunch he decided to walk over the Tower City Center to try to find some crackers for my upset stomach. He asked one of the staff at the restaurant where he could find crackers for his ill fiancée and the staff member told him to wait for just a second. The chef himself came out with a large tray containing a whole sleeve of crackers, cans of ginger ale, a banana, and yogurt for me! We could not believe how the chef and staff went above and beyond to provide these items for us! I was so happy to see the tray items and I immediately started feeling better after eating some crackers and sipping the ginger ale. We were both really touched the chef went out of his way to help me.

Bottom line, if you can get a room on the higher floors facing Public Square I think you'll be very pleased as our room was so large we knew it was one of the renovated rooms. We had a wonderful stay and cannot speak negatively on the size, condition or quality of our room. The staff at the Renaissance were also amazing. We were pleasantly surprised and delighted to prove the negative reviews wrong at least with our experience.

Room Tip: Definitely request 12th floor or higher with a view of the square. The rooms are updated and much la...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Kimmy, thank you so much for writing such a thorough review of your visit. We appreciate all of your important feedback and we're thrilled to hear that you'll be visiting again. Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed one night at the Renaissance Cleveland for a dance convention my daughter was attending. We are native Clevelanders, but due to the late night and early morning schedule we decided to stay over. I am so glad we did! We got a great group rate through the convention and ended up with the Van Sweringen Suite. Huge room, great amenities. Even on the 4th floor our room was quite from the street noise. Service throughout our stay was great. When we asked where we could get some bottled water the front desk gladly gave us each a bottle. When my husband came to pick me up the Valet allowed him to leave his car for free for the hour or so it took us to get packed up. The interior access to the Casino and Tower City was great for a little entertainment and for meals & snacks. The building itself is just beautiful, so historic. I am sure to return in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hello CLE and thanks so much for the wonderful five star review! We appreciate the feedback and look forward to your next visit!
Powell, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I had an overnight stay here for business recently. I am a native of Cleveland but have never stayed downtown. The hotel itself was beautiful and I loved the historic decor and design. I had a room on the 6th floor. I am not sure if rooms on higher floors have been updated but mine was quite dated and certainly didn't offer any 'extras'- and I'm a Marriott platinum member. My room was an 'atrium' view which was highly undesirable. It looked out onto an empty pool. The check in was easy and I had a great meal downstairs. The location of this hotel is perfectly situated to offer access to many fun attractions in downtown.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a room above the 6th floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello Michelle and thank you for not only staying, but also for taking the time to write. We appreciate the feedback on your particular room view and we apologize that you were not happy with the vista. Due to the unique layout of our historic hotel, our property offers several different views throughout the hotel. Perhaps on a future visit, you'll find something more appeasing. Once again, we appreciate the feedback and hope very much that we will see you again in the future.
Republic, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed in the Renaissance Cleveland the first time in December when my son's basketball team played at the Q. Loved the elegant old hotel. beautiful, but be aware it is historic, not modern, but I loved it. loved how the casino, Q and Progressive field, and hotel are connected to Tower City shops, tons to do and eat.Staff was great, so when I got a room comped from the casino, I didn't hesitant to go back. This time though I had my mother who uses a walker and my 76 yr old aunt. Because casino was added later, not as handicapped accessible as you like because of stairs. It is possible to use ramps the whole way, but you go through staff entrances. The other thing to be aware of, if casino comps your room and it includes valet parking, park at hotel valet! I called and talked to hotel and total rewards and casino, and got different answers with last one being to park at casino valet, wrong. Their valet is NOT in same building as casino and you must ride shuttle to casino, not great setup. We did enjoy the hotel but casino was very busy as they were giving a car a day away, and I found slot machines to be very tight and very busy. Also pool was being worked on when we were there both times, but I didn't really see anyone working on it???

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hello bartley and thank you for taking the time to write your review. We sincerely apologize for the situation with our pool being serviced however at nearly 100 years in age, we are constantly working to upgrade our property to assure continued improvements for guests such as yourself. Regarding the parking situation, our general manager would very much like more information on these problems that you experienced. Should you be interested in speaking with her, please email rencleveland@renaissancehotels.com so that you may talk with her directly. Once again, we apologize and hope that you will in fact return in the future.

Been to Renaissance Cleveland Hotel? Share your experiences!