“Casino trip” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Republic, OH
“Casino trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed in the Renaissance Cleveland the first time in December when my son's basketball team played at the Q. Loved the elegant old hotel. beautiful, but be aware it is historic, not modern, but I loved it. loved how the casino, Q and Progressive field, and hotel are connected to Tower City shops, tons to do and eat.Staff was great, so when I got a room comped from the casino, I didn't hesitant to go back. This time though I had my mother who uses a walker and my 76 yr old aunt. Because casino was added later, not as handicapped accessible as you like because of stairs. It is possible to use ramps the whole way, but you go through staff entrances. The other thing to be aware of, if casino comps your room and it includes valet parking, park at hotel valet! I called and talked to hotel and total rewards and casino, and got different answers with last one being to park at casino valet, wrong. Their valet is NOT in same building as casino and you must ride shuttle to casino, not great setup. We did enjoy the hotel but casino was very busy as they were giving a car a day away, and I found slot machines to be very tight and very busy. Also pool was being worked on when we were there both times, but I didn't really see anyone working on it???

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Hello bartley and thank you for taking the time to write your review. We sincerely apologize for the situation with our pool being serviced however at nearly 100 years in age, we are constantly working to upgrade our property to assure continued improvements for guests such as yourself. Regarding the parking situation, our general manager would very much like more information on these problems that you experienced. Should you be interested in speaking with her, please email rencleveland@renaissancehotels.com so that you may talk with her directly. Once again, we apologize and hope that you will in fact return in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Lakewood, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

To be clear, my room was comped for a Fri/Sat night through the casino. Even sadder, I only live about 10 minutes from the casino. However, I figure me and some friends would make use of it. Go see a CAVS game, beers, and of course the casino.

Ok back to the hotel. I knew before checking in (because I actually do online research like everyone should do) that the rooms were small. I requested two queen beds online and when I checked in I asked for a corner room. Was placed in room 843 and thought it was a pretty nice size. Room in good shape, clean, nice TV, but tiny bathroom....and I mean tiny. But I dont hang out in the bathroom so that was no problem. Quiet, convenient, connected to the casino, no complaints.

If comped in the future, would def stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hello mdm and thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We're very happy to hear that your trip was a success and that you'll be staying with us again in the future. Thanks again and safe travels!
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I got a great rate booking through the Horseshoe Cleveland's website (under $70/night; $100 less than booking directly through the hotel!!) and had a fine stay here. My king room on the 6th floor was spacious and comfortable. Not too many extras in the room (no robe. no newspaper in AM) but you couldnt beat the price. The hotel is connected to the Casino, Terminal Tower, the Ritz and the Quicken Loan Arena. I never had to go outside to get from my hotel to a Cavs game to the Casino. This was priceless in Cleveland in February,

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello Terp and thank you for your glowing review! We're happy to hear that you'll be returning and we'll look forward to seeing you on your next visit!
Cleveland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I want to start by stating that we were guests of the casino for our three night stay. Since our stay was free, I didn't expect the hotel to put us in the nicest room. I read on here to ask for a room on the higher floors to get a bigger room, but that didn't work for us. Our room was on the 11th floor and we barely had room to turn around. The bathroom is especially tiny. The bed was very comfortable and we slept well. The hotel itself is beautiful and in a good downtown location. We walked over to West 6th both nights for dinner. I was able to walk into the connecting Tower City to get a cup of hot tea when I needed an afternoon pick up. We spent a little time in the bar after dinner and it had a good size crowd. The pool area is in a courtyard and is a great gathering spot even if you aren't swimming. There are tables set up and the area is spacious. The workout area is well appointed and includes the popular machines, free weights, and cool towels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate the positive review and hope that you had a successful time at the casino! We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Safe travels!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I adore this property - I have been staying there for years.. Yes, the heating system isn't new, yes, sometimes the elevators are slow but the staff makes up for all of that - nothing is too much trouble.

I was on the top floor and the room was newly done. Very comfortable overlooking the Square/Lake in the distance. Yes, there was street noise but as I live in Chicago hardly noticed it.

Mitch was lovely as well as the doorman Paul who I think has been there for over 30 years as many of the staff has.

I needed a tub chair as I have a bad leg and there are no bars in the shower - it was up in five minutes. There is a lift to the 2nd floor from the main lobby if someone doesn't want to do the stairs so that review is way off!

Is it a modern Marriott - NO - It was built in 1915!!!

I had a late lunch with a client in the Lobby Bar - the food was very good.

I had to leave at 6am and the girl at the desk asked if I would like someone to walk me down to get a taxi...

Will always stay here....

Room Tip: Try for one of the high floors
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello Mp0010 and thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review. We're happy to hear that your stay was a success and we appreciate all of your kind words. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Cleveland!
st. louisville, ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The Renaissance in Cleveland, Ohio is a great place to stay. It has an old fashion feel for a 4 star hotel. The lobby is big with a bar and resturant. The staff was friendly and most helpful when we asked directions. The valet was great and our bags were brought to our immediately. It is located within walking distance to the new casino ,the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and other attractions. The rooms are clean and somewhat small due to the age of the hotel. The hotel is is attached to the Tower City with shops and resturants.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello kcoad and thank you for your wonderful review! We appreciate the kind words and hope to see you again very soon.
Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Our room had a king-size bed. The room had no heating system. Guest services told us to open the window...which only opened three inches...and let the warm chlorinated air migrate
into the room to help warm it up. Are you kidding me?!?!? January in Cleveland, Ohio and the heating system for the room??!?!?! Not to mention the noise level that didn't allow for one to sleep until after 2 a.m. This was my first and last time staying at this "luxury" hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 1139 during the winter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Carolyn, thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for the temperature control issues you encountered while staying. Due to the historic nature of our beautiful 1918 property, we do in fact experience some quirks such as the situation with our HVAC system, which we are constantly working to improve. Once again, we apologize for any problems while visiting.

Been to Renaissance Cleveland Hotel? Share your experiences!