“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
st. louisville, ohio
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The Renaissance in Cleveland, Ohio is a great place to stay. It has an old fashion feel for a 4 star hotel. The lobby is big with a bar and resturant. The staff was friendly and most helpful when we asked directions. The valet was great and our bags were brought to our immediately. It is located within walking distance to the new casino ,the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and other attractions. The rooms are clean and somewhat small due to the age of the hotel. The hotel is is attached to the Tower City with shops and resturants.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Hello kcoad and thank you for your wonderful review! We appreciate the kind words and hope to see you again very soon.

619 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Our room had a king-size bed. The room had no heating system. Guest services told us to open the window...which only opened three inches...and let the warm chlorinated air migrate
into the room to help warm it up. Are you kidding me?!?!? January in Cleveland, Ohio and the heating system for the room??!?!?! Not to mention the noise level that didn't allow for one to sleep until after 2 a.m. This was my first and last time staying at this "luxury" hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 1139 during the winter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Carolyn, thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for the temperature control issues you encountered while staying. Due to the historic nature of our beautiful 1918 property, we do in fact experience some quirks such as the situation with our HVAC system, which we are constantly working to improve. Once again, we apologize for any problems while visiting.
Chester - England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed here over the course of 1 week back in July 2012, I say over a course, as we took the 2nd & 3rd nights out in Niagara Falls then returned.

We didn’t actually choose this hotel, it happened to be the wedding hotel for a local Cleveland couple we know. So we checked it out online, it looked decent enough so decided it would be better to stay here where all the action was going to be than bother finding somewhere else.

I think there are cheaper hotels around, but this one seemed comfortable and affordable and had the amenities we were looking for, plus it seemed smack in the middle of town and close to the newly opened casino!

We had had a terrible delayed flight over from the UK and were several hours late, arriving at about 3am instead of 7pm! Upon arrival the staff could see we were exhausted & were very friendly, all loving our English accents! And nothing was too much trouble.

We were checked into a very large room (see attached pic –sorry about the mess!) with a decent sized bathroom, not the greatest view – overlooking the large Post Office building, but we weren’t that bothered. It also had a writing desk and relaxing chairs! Breakfast was buffet style with all you would need, and VERY attentive and courteous staff and chefs!

So far so good. We then left for a two day excursion to Niagara and when we returned we were checked into a different room…. Quite the opposite to what we had the first night.

To set the scene a little, the hotel is pretty much a square with a central enclosed courtyard in this courtyard is the pool – nice enough for a little dip, but no Olympic pool.

The room we had this time it was a much smaller internal room, a window - but only over looking the internal courtyard/pool and other rooms, so it was a little darker. The main thing was though we weren’t sure if the A/C was working correctly as the room smelt a little ‘damp’ and almost ‘musty’. The mrs wasn’t happy so I went to reception to see if they had an external room available to change to. The reception staff were very helpful and although the hotel was almost at capacity (apparently) they did manage to find us a room facing outside.

This room was much brighter and almost as good a size as the first night so we were once happy again! We stayed a further 3 nights and everything was great! The wedding went without a hitch and all the staff from the servers to the receptionists to even the cleaners were well presented and courteous.

We very much enjoyed our stay here and any little problems we had were dealt with professionally. To be honest I wouldn’t really have a need to visit Cleveland again (other than to visit our friends) but if we did and needed a hotel we would be quite happy to stay here again!

Room Tip: Definitely ask for an outside facing room! If possible one over looking the square.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Jimmy, thank you for visiting and for your review. We are thrilled to hear that (most) of your trip was perfect! We apologize for your disappointment with the smaller room. Our 1918 historic hotel is unique that not two of the 490 guest rooms are the same. We are happy to hear that you were moved to a room that better suited you and glad that the rest of your stay was enjoyable. We hope to see you on your next trip abroad.
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed one night in the beautiful old Cleveland Renaissance Hotel in Tower City Center. The hotel is connected to the shops at Tower City, the Horseshoe Cleveland Casino, RTA (regional transit trains & buses). The huge lobby seating area and bar take you back in time with the spectacularly ornate ceilings, marble floors and pillars, and comfy couches and chairs looking out the large window to the public square.

The staff was friendly and the room well-appointed. The room looked out on the interior courtyard with a pool and we would have liked a skyline view, but since the room was free, we were OK with that. The bed was comfy, the desk and TV both good sizes. The bathroom was a bit disappointing. Not dirty, but just off. The toilet was tilted a bit, the rubberized tub floor didn't meet the floor underneath, so it moved when you stepped on it (creepy).

The parking $24 was a bit cramped in the old building, so the valet $30 is your best bet if you can afford either. You can get a horseshoe Total Rewards card and park for free nearby if you gamble for 30 minutes. The front desk held our bags both coming and going, and this worked out well for us.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Tervy8, thank you for staying. We're happy to hear you enjoyed everything. We'll hope to see you again soon. Travel safely.
Dallas, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I would NEVER stay here again. I had 3 nights paid in full. I went tp the doctor for my annual check up & I had to be admitted to the hospital. My belongings were in my hotel room. I did call the hotel & told them about my admission. They told me that I had to remove my belongings,because they may need my room. Now remember, I am in the hospital, all alone from NC & I had 3 nights paid. I was in no shape to arguee with them. At that point, I had to pay a driver ( 4 ) different times to get all of my belongings from the hotel due to their mix ups. Then I got released on Dec.23rd & I went back to the hotel. Would you believe they charged me for two more nights and didn't even comp me? I am a VIP guest here...But I will NEVER stay at this hotel again. Shame on Keshia, for taking advantage of a woman that's from out of town sick with heart trouble and to mistreat me.I feel that they should give me a week with EVERYTHING FREE !!! And wouldn't you know the District manager was on vacation? He has yet to call me. I have never been so distrought in all of my life. So before I would ever stay at this facility again, They BETTER GIVE ME A COUPLE OF FREE TRIPS ALONG WITH ALL OF THE FOOD, WINE and ETC...THAT COMES ALONG WITH IT.... Make sure you have a clear understanding, before you pay them their expensive price. The only Two People that can help you and they do not mind helping is...GINA & ROBIN They Were Awesome To Me and I Thank God For Them !! Hurting In North Carolina :: Miss Kay

Room Tip: The higher your room is the better you will like it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Kay, thank you for visiting and for writing your review. We believe this situation to be resolved however should there be outstanding issues, please feel free to email our general manager directly at rencleveland@renaissancehotels.com. On behalf of our entire team, we apologize for any possible issues and we hope that you are feeling better.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Each year, at Christmas, we choose a different Cleveland hotel in which to have a holiday family getaway. This year, we chose the Renaissance. The ambiance for the holidays was amazing. As if I had ordered it, there was a beautiful snow falling outside on Public Square. We sat in the lobby and watched it fall from the big, beautiful picture windows. We were close to shopping, restaurants, and lots of holiday happenings. I was also very surprised that the hotel has a fitness center and indoor pool. My daughter spent lots of time in the pool. Our first night, there was a party going on in the suite next to us. We called the front desk and they immediately came up to investigate the party. They got us another room in the meantime so that we wouldn't be bothered. I was very pleased with the way they handled the situation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Terry, we're thrilled to hear that your tradition this past year was such a huge success. We agree that falling snow can make for a beautiful scene on Public Square! Thank you again for visiting and we hope to be a part of your tradition again in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Even if this was a beautiful, clean, and accommodating hotel, I wouldn't stay here due to the way I was treated after making a complaint. It was the worst experience in my 30 years of traveling. And I have stayed in a hotel that had a shooting outside with a police bust, so it's not as if I have had all pleasant experiences. Imagine your worst hotel nightmare in the area of cleanliness, and you would have guessed our horror we experienced. I would publish it but it seems these types of reviews are deleted from Trip Adviser. Therefore I cannot mention it and you must guess. I stayed with a large conference group and everyone I spoke to was completely dismayed at the location and conditions of this hotel. Several of us asked the conference planners to not ever stay here again or we would not attend any more conferences. Hopefully Trip Adviser will allow me to mention the offensive smell in the hallways, the chipped furniture, the dirty carpets and the absolutely horrible parking garage. If you are looking for a place close to the Casino that is a bit cheaper than the Ritz and you have absolutely no other standards for a hotel then this is your place. If you have any standards whatsoever such as a safe neighborhood or a clean accommodating place to stay, AVOID THIS PLACE. I am going to Cleveland again next week and would cancel my trip if I had to stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Travler, thank you very much for staying and for writing your review. We obviously are terribly disappointed about your stay. Without knowing the details of your visit, we cannot effectively comment other than to apologize. On behalf of our entire team, we are truly sorry for any negative situation you may have encountered. Thank you again for visiting and we hope that we will see you again in the future for a better experience.

Been to Renaissance Cleveland Hotel? Share your experiences!