“Good But...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 32 hotels in Cleveland
Yerevan, Armenia
“Good But...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

For downtown Cleveland, the Renaissance Hotel is in a great location and has a lot of character. The building is old and somewhat charming and the room decor is quite nice. My two complaints were concerning the lack of complimentary amenities and the thin walls. There was no free breakfast or internet. I'm constantly surprised when downtown hotels want to charge $13/day for internet. Since when did that become a good idea?

Secondly, the walls are very thin, or seem to be, given the fact that sound travels from room to room. We couldn't get any sleep until after 4am due to the party that was going on next door. And this was after two calls to the front desk to send up security to take care of it. This was a huge disappointment after traveling across country. But I understand that this probably doesn't happen very often.

Room Tip: To get a great price on a room, go through the HorseShoe Casino instead of the Marriott website. It...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

546 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
too far from the wild west!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My company uses only the Marriott line & this one was in keeping with their excellence - so i won't go into that since it was all good. Great, actually - as are most marriotts.

It is likely one-of-a-kind and truly delightful. The location on Public Square was lovely & festive with all the Christmas decorations & lights. We walked to Quicken Loans Arena for the CAVS game, and also the Horseshoe Casino next door.

Lots to do in CLE. I hope we have another conference there & hope we stay at the renaissance again, too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The hotel is certainly well located if you want to be in the city center but the areas around it are not vibrant. Plenty of closed storefronts and really only good if you want to be close to the Casino. You can walk to the some good restaurants but through dark and quiet areas... The public rooms of the hotel are beautiful but when we arrived our driver took us to the side entrance as that was where the GPS address was! The original allocated room was small and dingy and looked out into some awkward corner walls. However, the front desk was quick to change it upon request so that turned out fine. Appreciated the coffee maker with its one-time-use only filters.
Now for the not so good - the layout. Some areas require a long walk to the elevators so be sure to mention that if you don't want to circle round to your room. Cleanliness-there was 1 day that the bathroom was not cleaned at all; towels were tidied but bath/shower was not. Amenities was resupplied haphazardly. Every single time we walked to our room, we would encounter room service trays on the floor or cleaning carts in the corridor. The lighting in the bathroom was horrible, brought out the green in everything! In-room safe is the key type which is a hassle. Would choose another hotel.

Room Tip: Specify if you want a view or need to be close to the elevators.
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

In town for a business trip and stayed at the Renaissance. The help at the front desk were very friendly and reassigned me to a room facing the atrium. Had a drink at the bar which was nice. Breakfast buffet was nice but minimal in the selections.

Only real issue I had was the faucet on the bath tub did not work when I attempted a shower in the morning. I will make sure in the future that the bath/shower work when I first get into my room from now on.

Still don't understand why Marriott does not have free wi-fi in the rooms, only the lobby.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the atrium are quiet.
Boise, Idaho, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel is also a conference center. I attended Bouchercon, a major writers' conference there. The wait staff were friendly and helpful, but the layout of the hotel was odd and very confusing. It seemed that the conference rooms were a late addition to the structure and therefore we had to go up a flight of escalators to get to the main conference rooms--which is fine unless you're laden down with books. And I never did find the elevator to those rooms.

Room Tip: My trip was to the conference center.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife and staying in town in the Renaissance formerly the Stouffer, originally the Hotel Cleveland. Opened in the Terminal Tower complex in 1918, this is both an architectural gem as well as right in the middle of everything. THe new Horseshoe Casino is in the same complex, Tower Mall too, Progressive Field a robust walk, ditto the R&R Hall of Fame. We've been upgraded to the Concierge Level and it beats the Ritz nearby hands down. Great food for breakfast and snacks at night and truly responsive staff. Its a little worn but recent carpet and a Grande Old Dame feel, the Renaissance also rocks!

Room Tip: Beware facing the main street due to traffic noise
Coachella Valley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

When we arrived, I didn't think we were going to have a great stay, Election day and we arrived around dinner time and our first impression was the Doorman/Bellman standing / leaning with his foot on the wall smoking a cigarette (He thought he was James Dean playing a bellman I guess), didn't welcome us, didn't do anything till we had our own bags out of the car then wanted to help us get our bags to the lobby, no thanks, you can finish your break, we got it...

Room was perfect, felt like a mini suite, after a long day of travel that was just the ticket, we ordered up some room service, the woman that delivered our order in what seemed like a record time was awesome, she explained everything that was on the plates, asked if we had any food allergies, actually engaged in some conversation (Wow isn't that one of their brand motos or standard) and asked if she could offer any assistance with anything.

After 2 long days of meetings and not wanting to travel to my next city I went down stairs to print out my boarding pass, I went to the Navigator (Their version of the concierge) to ask for assistance and it seemed like I interrupted the woman as she was facebooking on her phone, yes I could see it plain as day, I have 2 kids that are on it constantly... she told me "I doesn't do boarding passes", "down the hall to your left" she told me... WTF... One of the front desk girls called me over and she said "I will be happy to help you", I asked her about the other girl and she apologized, but at this point it was getting late and we just needed the passes for an early flight.
although I gave this Hotel an above avg rating, it was only because of the location, the Room Service woman and the room type we got.
Amazing location I should have said, in a old historic building, shopping, train, eating and movies all in one location without putting on a jacket.
I travel about 200+ nights a year so I think Im qualified to know good service and accommodations when I find them... A+ for the Hotel and area, I cant rate the staff, everyone has a bad day sometimes

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Renaissance Cleveland Hotel? Share your experiences!