“Really beautiful hotel, good location, great service!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Holiday Gift for You
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Shaker Heights, Ohio
“Really beautiful hotel, good location, great service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We live in Cleveland but stayed at this hotel recently for our anniversary. The lobby and common areas are just beautiful - very historic and gorgeous! We were upgraded to a "club level" room, which didn't seem to be much different than other floors of the hotel? Nice marble bathroom, very comfortable bed with nice bedding. We had a great view of Public Square and all of downtown. Walking distance to restaurants, bars, clubs and stores. Ordered room service for breakfast, and it was delivered quickly and was worth the money. We ate at Sans Souci, which is a beautiful restaurant with very good food. The service wasn't great, but we enjoyed ourselves. We got a great rate online and really had a nice evening!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Public Square!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Cleveland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Whats nice about the hotel is that it is directly connected to the new Horseshoe casino, so you can go without getting a jacket on or such. Four of us stayed the night in two rooms, we were given the 10th floor, a room at the absolutely farthest from the elevator. If you have trouble walking, request near the elevator as the rooms are designed in a large square design so farthest can be a very long walk. Our room was smallish but cozy. The bathroom to me, I think needs remodeling. The toilet was angled toward the tub. Kind of wierd, but this is an old hotel. TV was flat panel, our bed super comfy. Our room overlooked the tops of flat roofs with air conditioners. So no view. Overall, I feel that the hotel is overpriced, so if you can book the Marriott at Key center, (pretty much the same price) as long as you don't mind cabbing to the casino, that is if you are going there, the Marriott is a far nicer hotel and perhaps the nicest in Cleveland. Rooms more modern, far nicer lobby, etc.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Seven Hills
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has seen better days. You can tell its an old historic building that they tried to modernize. And for $329 for a Saturday night.... not worth it.

The good: on public square and close to everything! Great location. You can shop at tower city and go to the casino without going outside. Hotel was clean. Room was decent, but not luxury. Valet parking was nice. Hotel staff was really nice.

The bad: no longer a 4 or 5 star hotel. No fridge in the rooms. Bedding and pillows were down/feathers. Nice but if you have allergies- you'll wake up with red eyes like I did. The bathroom needed serious steam cleaning. The indoor pool is cute, but small. And the pool needs serious repairs. Cracks in the walls and rust. Another negative was the $30 a night we had to pay to park our car.

Again, the hotel was okay. But not for the price. Its more like a $99 a night hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed for two nights (Fri and Saturday) in early November for a weekend in Cleveland. While the area (Tower City) has clearly seen better times, it was still a somewhat central and well connected place to be. From the airport, arrived via RTA (aka Rapid) and could walk from the mall directly into the hotel. The mall and area was more happening than I would have expected for 11pm on a Saturday, but perhaps the relatively new casino next door has brought more traffic (we didn't go there..) Travel to and from was easy--we took the rapid to the airport and to Shaker Square, cabs to Ohio City, and the new Health Line to University Circle. For some reason all hotels downtown were booked that weekend, and $170/pm (booked online with AAA discount) seemed a bit stiff for Cleveland but overall was probably worth the $$.

First the good--the Renaissance is a good example of historic Cleveland at its best, physically connected to the Terminal Tower. It was renovated some number of years ago (guessing the 80s based on the carpet choice) however the rooms appear somewhat modern and were clean. The hotel bar was surprisingly happening both PMs when we came back from going out, not rowdy but with an eclectic and interesting group--probably in part because of upcoming election, wedding parties, and home Browns game the next day. Drinks were cheap and Great Lakes Beer on tap. It is right downtown and convenient to most things of interest in the City. Hotel staff was nice and courteous, and the hotel itself was clean.

The charge for internet was $13/pm, which is absurd considering it is free at a Hampton inn, which is a good $100 cheaper in Cleveland. However, the staff was willing to waive the charge when we brought up the fact that we were not business travellers and would appreciate the courtousy given this wasn't being billed to an expense account. We did have to push a bit though.

We booked this hotel in part because it was available and in part because Marriott Rewards was offering a certificate for a free night if you signed up for Marriott Rewards and had two stays with them. Of course, the fine print is that 'two stays' have to involve two check ins that aren't on consecutive days. While that's all fine and good, it's still slightly deceptive and we won't be staying at a Marriott again for a second 'stay'.

Overall, liked the hotel, not a big fan of Marriott. But a decent place to stay if you want to be in central Cleveland and be in a historic spot.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Erie, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Hotel's lobby is amazing! Beautifully maintained and classy. Rooms are nice, some of the city view rooms also got sneak peak of the lake. Amenities are nice. Free water in the club rooms, Aveda products. Walking distance to the warehouse district and the 4th street where you can find many nice pubs, bars, and restaurant. It's 50 feet away from the casino and the city tower, how convenient is that?!! I think this is one of my favorite hotels. I love renaissance hotels!!

• Stayed November 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

I live in Cleveland and this was my first time staying here. It was our anniversary, so I was looking around for places to stay downtown and I happened to stumble on the Horseshoe Casino website. I have a TR account with Horseshoe so I logged in and to my surprise, our room was comped so we decided to stay at the Renaissance. We were not disappointed. The hotel is a throwback to a different time, very Art Deco, with modern rooms. We had a king bed which was situated in a fairly small room overlooking the indoor pool/courtyard area. The room was decorated nice and had a 42" plasma TV. The bed was extremely comfortable but my only complaint is with the AC unit. Probably the only thing in the hotel that hasn't been updated. The unit was weak and only had a knob that you turned to determine the temperature. I slept comfortably with just a sheet or nothing at all at some points. My wife however complained of being warm and uncomfortable throughout the night. Other than that, everything was nice. We went to the casino which is a short walk through Public Square or Tower City. I was initially concerned with the walk because of not knowing the distance and knowing the kind of people that hang out on Public Square. Not once did we feel unsafe. After the casino, we walked over to Hyde Park for dinner and then went back to the hotel bar. The staff there is very professional and friendly. All in all, we had a very nice experience here. Would definitely come back and recommend it to others.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at the Renaissance using my Marriott reward points, because the Courtyard was not available for the dates I wanted. At first, I wasn't happy to go to a more expensive hotel. BUT, I have to say it's a VERY nice hotel. Not to mention convenience to Pickwick Frolics. My room was perfect (king bed, comfy corner chair/ottoman in teal). Aveda toiletries...right up my alley. I did find the room a tad frigid, so I turned off the air units because I couldn't figure how to turn the heat on (too lazy to try - I admit).

Club Lounge had a "classy feel" with fairly tasty food. If you have to order room service, try the blackened salmon wrap. It was delish with the homemade chips (Yum!). Happen to be in town when the Browns were playing, so you are definitely in a good spot for sports or nightlife. One thing to be mindful of is parking...I had to valet park, because there were limited self-park options due to football game. My vacation was short, but quite relaxing at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Renaissance Cleveland Hotel? Share your experiences!