“Total Rewards guests treated as second class citizen!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Lombard, IL
“Total Rewards guests treated as second class citizen!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We took a family trip this weekend to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. We used our total rewards points to stay at this hotel for free. The hotel is connected to the new casino and the place was madness upon check-in. Since there were three weddings and a school reunion going on, we were told that none of my requests would be honored as the "full fare paying guests" were taking all the available rooms. No problem, a king sized bed with a rollaway would be fine, right? Well, they gave us keys to a "hospitality" suite with a fancy plaque on the front door...oooh! My daughter and I enter the room and initally see a huge wooden dining table with chairs. Sink to the right and big wooden pocket doors to the left. Where was the bedroom? My daughter excitedly opened the pocket doors saying "here is our bedroom mom"! She opened the doors and found not a room, but a MURPHY BED! For those of you with no experience in this area, this is a bed that pulls down from the wall and sits on the floor. This one happened to be a queen bed. Well, I guess that would work for the mother and dad, where was my daughter going to sleep? On the dining table? When calling the front desk to request a rollaway bed for my daughter, I was told again that this room was all that was available for Total rewards guests. Having stayed at several hotels now as a Total Rewards guest (including Paris in Las Vegas) I have never experienced such poor treatment and attitude. Okay, so here are some pros and cons:
Pros:
- Great central downtown location
- Connected to casino (we did go to gamble).
- Classic old world architecture in lobby
- Up to date fitness center
- beautiful solid furniture in rooms (if you need a dining table...)

Cons:
- curt front desk service
- Awkward entrances, stairs in two locations to access lobby.
- carpeting everywhere is dirty/shabby/worn
- very small elevators, beware if you are claustrophobic!
- Hospitality room with Murphy beds!!!
- No fridge in hospitality rooms, huh?
- Breakfast buffet pricey (14.00 per person) for limited choices and so-so food.
- No one one to help you with your bags in or out of hotel!

I do not recommend this hotel, especially since the Marriott Key Center is right down the street and is far and away superior to this hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Toledo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Overall our stay was fine. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very dark so it was easy to fall asleep. Excellent location-close to indoor mall and casino as well as warehouse district. No free breakfast or anything. Restaurant in hotel is good, but hardly anyone there.

Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel on a trip to Cleveland to visit the Horseshoe Casino. It is a very old hotel but has beautiful architecture and a charm to it. We had a room overlooking the pool area which was a little loud when the pool was busy but other than that it was a nice room. We stayed here comped by Harrah's so cost wasn't an issue. It was a short inside walk to the casino which is nice. I had originally booked us at the Ritz Carlton but found out it was 2-3 blocks away from the casino so I changed us to the Renaissance. The bed was comfy, the air conditioner was a little loud but worked well and the room was very clean. We will stay at this hotel again for sure if we go back to Cleveland. The room was a little on the smaller size than what you normally get at a casino hotel but worked out fine for one night. The location is great right down town close to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Cleveland Indians baseball stadium.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a pool view.
Montgomery Village, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The check-in didn't go well. We reserved a room with a king bed, but the hotel was very busy and we ended up with a double. We requested a lower floor, got a higher floor. People were polite, but the bell service to valet the car and get our bags up to the room was extremely slow. I finally went down and brought the bags up to the room myself. The place seemed understaffed and overwhelmed.

The room itself was smaller than I expected after reading some other Trip Advisor reviews. The bed itself was comfortable and we slept well. The next day, checkout was also going slowly so I took the bags down myself.

Room amenities were fine, but I wouldn't stay here when we return to Cleveland. The room rate was not nearly in tune with the perceived value.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

The location is great but the hotel is juat so-so. If you come from the airport, there is a rapid transit train that you can take to Tower Square and you come up the escalators to an indoor mall attached to the hotel. If you have heavy bags, however, be aware that you will have to walk up some stairs when you get to the hotel entrance (there is a phone next to the stairs that you can call if you need help with your bags). Then when you get up the stairs, you get to walk your bags down a couple stairs to get to reception.

MY EXPERIENCE: I had a king bedroom just off the elevator that was surprisingly small. The desk was so close to the bed that I could not pull the chair out more than a few inches without hitting the bed. And the bathroom door would not open all the way because it hit the towel bar above the toilet. Comparing this to other hotels in the same price range, I was a little disappointed.

***If you are a solo traveler, ask for a 2 double bed room unless you really need a bigger bed. Unlike some hotels where the king bedrooms feel extra spacious or are located on the better side of the hotel, there is no advantage here. You will be put in a smaller room.***

On the plus side, the totel employees are very friendly.

Room Tip: If you are a solo traveler, ask for a 2 double bed room unless you really need a bigger bed. Unlike...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We decided to do a mid week trip to Cleveland for a little family get away. My husband is a Marriott Gold member and had received a certificate for a free night. When we arrived, the valet was friendly, though luggage carts are for bellmen only? Odd, so we just packed it all upstairs ourselves. At checkin, the guest services rep told us we were upgraded to a jacuzzi suite, so we thought we were getting a jetted tub in a regular room. The lobby is grande, the elevators were classic and the hallways made you think you were in very nice old building- which it is. When we approached the door to our room, it had double wooden doors, not the standard single door. We walked in the room, thought we had a dining table with four chairs- it was nice. To our surprise, as we turned to see what we thought was a space for a desk was a large living/ meeting area with a large flat screen TV, couch, two chairs plus desk and chair and wet bar with mini fridge. There was also a powder room/ half bath and coat closet in the hallway from the door to the room. The bedroom was nice with a full sized upholstered chair and ottoman, large screen TV and additional side table, mirrored closet doors with safe and robe. The master bathroom was huge with marble tile from floors to ceiling- vanity, sink, toilet room, promised jacuzzi tub and double shower. We have stayed at the Renaissance Columbus several times and this was far more luxurious.
It was perfect for our getaway and we were pleased to have so many bonus features. We used the pool facility, which was nice- 4' deep at the max with a huge area surrounding it with tables and chairs. We walked to the Greater Cleveland Aquarium from the hotel, which took about 10-15 minutes including a large hill, so be prepared.
The staff was friendly, the hotel was nice and convenient to the Tower Place Mall and new Horseshoe Casino. The only minor issue was traffic noise in the bathroom because it was in a corner and noise traveled through the corner window. We slept with the bathroom door closed. There is a lot of foot traffic and traveling voices at night because of the casino, we thought.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I really wish there was a rating between average and very good. I stayed one night here and the stay was good not great. The hotel looks a little worn and dated, especially in the elevators, but not totally shabby. When I walked in to check in, and when I left, no one bothered to offer me help with my suitcase. The room was a good size and the bed was comfortable. The air conditioning was turned way up so I was actually cold when I entered the room. But I didn't mind at all because I like the room really cold when I sleep. And it stayed consistent all night and didn't shut on and off like they do at some hotels. I left the door slip out for breakfast to be delivered the next morning and it arrived right on time. My main complaint was the bathroom could have been a little cleaner. The soap dish space built into the shower wall had some leftover soap gunk in it and couple mystery hairs. I don't know why seeing someone else's hair in the shower is so creepy but it is. The gym is tiny but functionable. The hotel itself is right downtown and within walking distance to lots of restaurants. Good place to stay if you plan on spending a lot of time in downtown Cleveland.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo