“Good place to stay in Cleveland.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Holiday Gift for You
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good place to stay in Cleveland.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I really wish there was a rating between average and very good. I stayed one night here and the stay was good not great. The hotel looks a little worn and dated, especially in the elevators, but not totally shabby. When I walked in to check in, and when I left, no one bothered to offer me help with my suitcase. The room was a good size and the bed was comfortable. The air conditioning was turned way up so I was actually cold when I entered the room. But I didn't mind at all because I like the room really cold when I sleep. And it stayed consistent all night and didn't shut on and off like they do at some hotels. I left the door slip out for breakfast to be delivered the next morning and it arrived right on time. My main complaint was the bathroom could have been a little cleaner. The soap dish space built into the shower wall had some leftover soap gunk in it and couple mystery hairs. I don't know why seeing someone else's hair in the shower is so creepy but it is. The gym is tiny but functionable. The hotel itself is right downtown and within walking distance to lots of restaurants. Good place to stay if you plan on spending a lot of time in downtown Cleveland.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stayed in downtown Cleveland to attend a wedding out in the suburbs. Wanted to explore the city and this hotel was a great location for that. Was happy to get a decent AAA rate at this hotel, and was (initially) even happier when the front desk automatically upgraded us from a king room to a suite. Initially we were wowed by the fairly large suite, with a separate bedroom and thought, "Wow, Marriott has never upgraded us like THIS before...without even asking." Well, once we spent two nights in the room I was wishing they hadn't 'upgraded' us. As I've read more and more TripAdvisor reviews, I'm finding it helpful to read the Pros/Cons type reviews, as opposed to the ones that simply say "this is a nice place"...as everyone has their own expectations, ideas of comfort, etc.

Pros:
- Great location. Walking distance to many restaurants, bars, stadium, casinos, waterfront, Cleveland attractions and public transportation
- Check in was easy, the front desk clerk was pleasant and efficient
- Even though the hotel seems older, there were some modern features (pool, small gym).
- Size of the suite was very good, with separate bedroom, and a small fridge and wet bar. Also, our suite was very clean and tidy,
- Great AAA weekend rate for a center city hotel
- Nice large flat screen TVs in the living room area and bedroom area

Cons:
- Can't begin to imagine why, but our suite had 2 FULL SIZE beds in the bedroom. not one king, not one queen...but 2 full size beds. I didn't really notice this until my husband (5' 10") and me (5' 5") got in bed and our feet hung off the bottom. This was the oddest bed I've ever slept in, not to mention ever had in a hotel room. Seemed like they took a small, old, uncomfy bed and plopped a pillow top mattress cover on it. This was a big 'fail' for a Marriott property.
- Had a love seat in the living room area that was (i think) a sleeper sofa. The upholstery was so slippery that you couldn't stay seated on it. Looked cool & modern, but it was useless. Unfortunately, the only other comfy seating was one arm chair :( sorta made the very nice living room area useless.
- Since we were 'upgraded' (??) to the Executive Level, we had access to the Executive Lounge for happy hour, dessert, etc. Well, we thought we did. Tried to go on Friday, thought our key wouldn't work the lounge door, called down to the front desk and all they said was "oh, they are closed." No explanation, no apology, nothing. Funnier yet, there was a big welcome sign that gave the hours of operation, which we were within. Again, no attempt to make good on that 'upgrade'/benefit that never was.
- Had a full wet bar with a couple of cabinets, yet the only items on hand were 4 water glasses. No wine glasses, no coffee mugs, no bottle opener. What was the point of the wet bar?
- Called to get glasses and an extra blanket and it took an inordinate amount of time...had to call twice.

A word of caution: If you plan to be in a suite during the day and you want quiet, hope that there are not loud kids in the pool. The pool is located in the middle of the hotel on the 5th fl., within a multi-story atrium type area...the suites on the 5th floor all had an add'l door and window (in the bedroom) that faced into that atrium and you could hear everything that was going on at the pool. Didn't really effect us much but beware if you are looking for total quiet b/t the hours of 9am-9pm.

Overall this was a decent enough hotel, but with a few tweaks (bed, furniture, amenities) it could be much better. Probably would stay here again, but certainly not in a suite and I certainly wouldn't pay top dollar. Perhaps try the regular Marriott a few blocks away instead...our friends had a room there and they enjoyed it and had no issues...seemed much more modern just from the look of the lobby.

Room Tip: Pass on the suites, stick with a regular room on the outside of the building, not the atrium.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Pembroke Pines, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed at the Renaissance Cleveland early in July 2012 for a friend's wedding, along with several of my old pals from college. We were 3 women sharing a room with 2 double beds on the 8th floor. Overall, I was surprised and delighted upon arriving at the hotel - easy to access with the tram system from Cleveland airport, and within an easy walk of LOTS of local restaurants, bars, shopping and the like. The renovated old lobby is charming. The room was extremely spacious - we had a discounted rate due to being part of a large group block of rooms, and my friend's wedding activities going on in the hotel - so this was really a great deal for us. The beds were extremely comfortable, and the decor was updated and tasteful. One of my favorite things was the huge walk-in closet - awesome for three gals to hang up their wedding outfits and get ready for the weekend. The wedding reception was held downstairs in the two-level ballroom, and it might be one of the nicest, classiest wedding receptions I've ever attended anywhere. Gorgeous set-up, really attentive wait staff and bar staff, etc. The only two criticisms I have are firstly, it can sometimes be difficult to get a taxi cab at the lobby entrance, despite there being a taxi stand - so if you need a cab, I'd call concierge well in advance and have them arrange one for you. Secondly, at night the public square in which this hotel is located can be noisy and full of people - while it felt safe to me for the most part, I did see lots of police in the area and wondered if there is often a need for extra security there. But these two small issues were forgivable. Overall we enjoyed our weekend in Cleveland.

Room Tip: Higher level floors might be quieter. Be advised though that the old elevator system can sometimes...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Brookfield, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I may be biased because we were upgraded to the presidential suite which was amazing but I will try to be fair :)
The hotel is a classic with classy features. Definitely 4 star amenities and finishings. The location is great. We stayed here to be close to Cleveland Indians game, which was an easy walk (even with a 6 year old). Right next door to the Tower City Center with stores, restaurants and a subway stop. Next to the new Casino
Our room was amazing but I cant tell about the standard room. The pool is great in the big atrium.
Great stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband, mother, and I came up for one night to see a concert at Quicken Loans Arena. Booked this for the proximity. It was about $150 on Hotels.com. I had requested two queen sized beds. Upon check-in, they said that they did not have any available but would give us a king with rollaway cot. I wasn't too happy with this but they gave us free valet parking for the inconvenice, which was nice.

PROS
Very good location to Arena. You don't even have to go outside, you can just walk through the mall.

Great hotel bar with reasonably priced drinks and food. We had 6 glasses of wine, 3 beers, and an appetizer. With tip, it was $95. This is pretty expensive, but not really for a hotel.

Beautiful lobby area.

Clean room with comfortable bed.

CONS
Room was pretty small, especially since we had to have the rollaway bed.

Room was HOT and the thermostat didn't seem to be working. I didn't say anything to the hotel as we were only staying for one night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed here the weekend of 7/20-7/22 for a mini staycation with my fiance. The common areas are very nice, such as the lobby and lobby bar. The staff was very friendly also. Our room, which was on the club level was very small, but clean. The room was facing the atrium side, so when people were in the pool, it was very loud. Would have preferred a city view, but oh well. The air conditioning would not go any higher and the room was always very warm. The pool was small and looked like it had not been cleaned for quite a while and there was no hot tub, which was disappointing. The location is perfect, though! Near the casino, restaurants and shopping. Just not worth the $140/night. I can't imagine ever paying the $320/night that they usually charge. Overall, I probably would not stay here again unless I got a comped room from the casino.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I travel to Cleveland at least once a year it seems. It's always nice to find a place you don't need to go too far to get what you need. The hotel is great, it is located at Tower City Tower City has a mall connected to the hotel, you can even take a train from the Airport to the hotel, or the hotel to the airport. when I went last (June 2012) it was 30.00 by car and 2.25 by train. so I didn't know about the train when I came so I paid for the car, but took the train back. not glamorous but a great way to get there, fast and cheap. The Mall has a Hard Rock Cafe for your more sit down type dining (I usually get the Pulled Pork Sandwich - Formerly called the Pig Sandwich) and a Mc Donalds in a food court of many other restaurat options for your more thrifty dining. The Hotel has dining options too. I recommend the breakfast buffet @ Sans Souci very nice a little high priced but very good and worth every penny. There is a sports bar there too good for a Reuben Sandwich and Diet coke (Non-alcoholic here) there are lots of things to do closeby too. House of Blues and Pickwick and Frolic (Dinner and comedy show) It was a great trip - It would also be good for you to go outside and look at some of the history close by. Great military display and museum rioght outside.

Room Tip: I didnlt ge a choice becuae it was a group rate travel arrangement, but even then I didnlt have a ba...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Renaissance Cleveland Hotel? Share your experiences!