“Beautiful Old Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Bergen, New York
“Beautiful Old Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

We really liked this hotel. It has class and style you don't see in modern hotels. The room was enormous. Everything was very clean. We had a couple of drinks in the lobby bar. It enjoyable place to relax and watch the crowd. Hotel is next to a casino. Although there was a huge line to get in on the Friday we were there. We hope to go back again in the future.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at and attended a 5th Infantry Army reunion at Renaissance Cleveland. It was a wonderful experience from the moment that we pulled into the parking garage. We did not think that the garage was small or run down. Segundino, valet, and Jim, door man, helped us with our luggage ( my husband is a left arm amputee) and getting ourselves checked into the hotel. We spoke with them everyday for the five days that we stayed at the hotel and they were friendly and courteous every time we met. Toni was our maid. She was also friendly, courteous and very efficient. We could tell the days that Toni cleaned our room by how well it was done. She never forgot to put creamer in with the coffee maker! More than that- she is a caring, kind person. Sophie and Alba, in the restaurant were always kind and asked about our day. We never got the impression that they expected anything in return for their kindness. We would return to Cleveland to stay at this hotel if the opportunity came about.

Room Tip: Inside rooms, facing the courtyard, are great. Just a little further away from the elevator.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Livonia, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Maybe I'm just not used to city life, but the parking was a nightmare! By the time we returned for the evening, 8pm or so, we were directed to park in the garage in areas marked "do not park". They were cramming cars in anywhere they could. There were no actual spaces left. It was very difficult to get in and out. And I was concerned that other cars parked in actual "legal" spots would end up hitting ours as they tried to exit. (There's a reason those spots say "do not park"...right? And all this for JUST a $25 parking fee!

The hotel is older, but the room was nice and seemed clean. The bedding was white; crisp and clean looking. There was only one trash can (in the bathroom) and none in the actual room. That was odd and inconvenient. There was chair at the desk, but otherwise there was no seating in the room except on the bed. A comfy corner chair would have been nice.

We had a room that adjoined to another room, and we could hear every word our neighbors were saying through the closed adjoining door! They were night owls, so sleep for us wasn't very easy. We were also right near the elevator, and listened to noisy hallway traffic all night. Also not conducive to sleep.

There was no complimentary breakfast, which was a negative for us. Don't most hotels offer that these days? It was convenient to have the train station and mall/restaurants on the lower level.

This hotel is probably better suited to business travelers, not families.

Room Tip: I highly recommend requesting that you NOT have an adjoining room...unless it's for someone you...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Indianapolis, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I stayed here this past weekend for a convention - the location is nice, most of the customer service is above standard, but a few things stood out...room was not ready at 5pm and i had to pull down the fitted sheet over the mattress once i was in the room
Tub was a little sketchy and slimey - some dark spots on the wall/tile hmmm and a stain on the comforter that looked like it had been cleaned...but a comfortable bed, tv, and easy chair
I was disappointed that on a cool evening - the hotel decided to turn off the A/C without informing anyone - if you have terrible allergies this is not a good thing - the next day was miserable!
I called down and asked them to turn on my AC and they said they could not...is this location hurting to stay afloat?
I also had to wait 15 minutes for a warm shower in the evening
Called down to Concierge to have my car pulled around, but was told that I need to come downstairs and give my ticket to the doorman; dont know why the concierge could not relay # to doorman
Doormen were very nice - A/C turned on the next day (thank god)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I attended a conference in this hotel and also stayed her during the conference. I loved the lobby, and it was the perfect place to sit and knit. The bar was a great hang out in the evenings. It is a wonderful location, because it is connected to the Tower City Center. The public transit (RTA) will take you from the airport to the Tower City Center. The conference areas were very nice. The concierge bent over backwards to help us get some sodas for the evening, sinc we did not realize that things shut down so early in that area. The complementary toiletries were made by Aveda. They were so nice. I wish we would have had a mini fridge, since were were there for a week. I highly recommend this hotel. The location can't be beat.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Limerick, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

My company held its annual meeting at the Renaissance, and I was on the prep team, with intimate access to the conference and catering staff.
The hotel itself was incredibly easy to get to. Just a $2.75 ride on the RTA train from the airport. The train pulls up underneath the hotel (mall), and you never have to go outside. Definitely the way to go.
The hotel itself has been nicely renovated - while still keeping the grand style of its age. Public spaces are in good shape.
My room was lovely, very updated, comfortable bed. Bathroom was "ehh", with the tankless toilet at a crazy angle. However, some coworkers had rooms that were not updated at all, had bathroom doors that had to be open to use the toilet (?!) because of spacing, and/or had signs warning of midges (a "harmless" bug that looks like a mini-mosquito). My issue was with the inconsistent and annoying maid service. Some coworkers had turn-down service. I did not. However I did have the wasteful and annoying tossing of the soaps I had opened at the sink and in the shower. Every day: new wrapped soaps. Towels left hung up to use again: taken. Completely wasteful! Also, it was the only hotel I've ever stayed in that replaced the hairdryer in its bag in the closet every day. It's pretty obvious that I'll just need to take it out to use it again. Annoying. And every day the stupid Renaissance hotels around the world book re-appeared on my bed. Another annoying "service".
The hotel is in a great location. Very easy walks to restaurants, entertainment, Progressive Field, and of course, the new casino. (Lines for opening week were 5,000+). Crazy!
I did not have a chance to try any of the hotel's restaurants, but certainly had a lot of the banquet food. It was on the whole, surprisingly good. We had more service issues than food issues throughout our stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Sylvania, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

We went to Cleveland to celebrate our wedding anniversary, which also coincided with the opening of Horseshoe Casino. While the casino gods were not good to us, the opposite can be said of our stay at the Renaissance. According to the hotel's web site, it has undertaken a 10 million dollar renovation, and it shows. Everything about the hotels speaks of a luxurious bygone era. The lobby, common areas, and bar have all been elegantly restored. I cannot speak to the average guest room as we were upgraded to a suite because it was our anniversary. What a treat! Wonderful bed, fluffy new towels, marble bathroom. We were even spoiled with champagne and strawberries. The hotel restaurant, Sans Souci, presents an elegant atmosphere without being stuffy and offers excellent food. All I can say is that it was a most enjoyable stay thanks to the staff and the amenities offered by the Renaissance. If a stay in downtown Cleveland is ever in our plans again, we will most certainly stay at the Renaissance.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance Cleveland Hotel? Share your experiences!