“Wonderful Hotel and Easy to get to” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay for Breakfast
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Cleveland
Caldwell, Ohio
“Wonderful Hotel and Easy to get to”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

We recently stayed at this hotel for a marriage conference and we loved it. The room wasn't huge but it was cozy and we felt at home in it. We also lucked out to be on the fifth floor and got a little private balcony with a couple of chairs and a table. The bathroom was nice sized and the little desk with chair was perfect for our homework we had to do for the conference. The bed was so comfortable and the pillows were great. They were all memory foam and so easy to sleep on. We had our own little coffee pot and assortment of teas. We did order room service and even though it was pricey, it was delicious. We also ordered a movie that isn't even out on DVD yet so that was really cool. Yes they are the old fat TV's, but we had a hotel staffer tell us that they were updating the hotel this summer because of the casino coming in and every room was getting a flat screen. Not helpful this time, but at least they're making upgrades for the future. The pool was rather small and no hot tub, but it was still nice. The exercise room was awesome, with treadmills that had their own personal TVs, a bunch of weight equipment and several other things to work out with. The conference room was so neat. Several people have commented that it is an old outdated hotel, and I say you didn't see it how you should have. It was so beautiful. Yes it did kind of remind me of The Shining but that made it so much cooler. And who can beat having a mall attached directly to it with movie theater and all. You didn't even have to walk outside to get to it. I loved this hotel and I would gladly stay at it again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Exton, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

Stayed for business, still has tube TVs and older decor. Clean, nice staff and good resturant and room service.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Ypsilanti, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

As I prepared to surprise my boyfriend for a weekend in Cleveland and a trip to the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, I did some research right here on trip advisor! I decided to book this place because it looked pretty from the pictures, it was right downtown, and about $40 more expensive than places that looked half as nice. Boy did I make the right decision.

Price/Package
I got the package that included tickets to the rock hall, and it was great! $217 total with tickets to the hall and a buffet breakfast in the morning that included fresh made-to-order omlettes in the Brasserie restaurant on the first level. It was worth every penny!

Rooms
The room was great! It was "small," but I considered this to be COZY. There was an oversized desk with two large chairs, a little blue chaise-type chair, and a great big comfy king sized bed in our room. I requested a high floor room with a view of the square, and that is definitely the way to go. It was gorgeous at night and in the foggy morning too! We could see Lake Eerie as well. The bathroom was pretty cool too - Separate shower and bathtub, marble floor and walls. It was just pretty! I was super satisfied with the room. The only problem that I noticed was that our faucet leaked a little bit if you didn't make sure it was tightly shut off. Also, the door was thin, so we could hear people in the hallway - we only heard the housekeeping ladies knock on the door directly across from ours, and although it was clear as day, I didn't hear another thing from the hallway all night.

Decor
I read several reviews of the place saying that it looked "outdated." Let me put those worries to rest right now - A Holiday Inn that has lampshades from the nineties is outdated, not a RENAISSANCE Hotel with gorgeous chandeliers, gold faucets, and ANTIQUE looking decor. I thought the place was elegant and beautiful. Also, the sitting area to the left of the front desk is gorgeous, just as a side note.

Extras
Pool - Awesome. Very small, only four feet at its deepest, but very very cool. The way that they designed the space for the pool is incredible! (see photos). Just wish it would've been a little bit warmer, as it's february and there wasn't a hottub - but either way it was still fun to swim in!
Business Center - Didn't use it, but it looked really nice! Flat screen computer moniters, nice separate room...
Food - The room service stuff looked pretty reasonable (still $7 for a burger, but for convenience's sake...) Sans Souci looked delicious, but we wanted to go out of the hotel for food (Eat at Le Petit Triangle and Caffe Roma!!!). Brasserie was great in the morning! The buffet breakfast was delicious, and they gave us two shotglasses with a strawberry-banana smoothie in it, which was yummy...
Parking - Small parking garage, but it was attached and I was fine with it! Didn't feel unsafe or anything, just looked like an old parking garage (other reviews were quite dramatic about it...I didn't stay at the Renaissance Hotel to park, did I??)

When I walked into the place, I thought to myself, "Wow, I did a good job." (as far as choosing which hotel to stay in, never having been to cleveland.) When I got into the room I thought, "I did a REALLY good job." When we got to the pool I thought, "I did an AWESOME job." If and when I come back to Cleveland, I will definitely choose to stay here again. It was beautiful, and for $30 or $40 more, totally worth it over a truly outdated place.

*ONLY complaints* - Update the TVs - I know it's expensive to do, but I think that many people (ahem, US) would've probably purchased an on-demand movie if it had been a nicer tv. Up the temperature in the pool too...minor details in our wonderful stay, however!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

We had requested a room with 2 queens for 3 ppl and when we arrived, we were told that we were being given a room with a king, and they would bring up a cot. On arriving to our room, it was actually a queen size bed, and the room hardly had room for the cot. We called the front desk and explained the problem, and they gave us a second room with a queen bed at no charge. The front desk staff were super helpful. Other than that, the rooms were fairly clean, however, our shower was full of tiny hairs when we arrived. It is a beautiful building but is tired looking.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

The Renaissance is a beautiful hotel with a gigantic lobby and huge bar. With the size of the lobby, I was surprised that my room was so small. It wasn't quite as small as a boutique hotel, but close.
The bed was really comfortable and the bathroom was immaculate. Instead of just having in-room coffee, they also had a decent selection of tea, which was nice.
The Renaissance is within walking distance of shops and restaurants, so it's absolutely the perfect location.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

Have stayed here in past. Not much has changed and overall the hotel could use some updating (tv's in room, etc) but its very nice. Staff was great, everything was clean and otherwise as you'd expect. Great location.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Olmsted Falls
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

I am from Cleveland, and I chose to stay at the Renaissance after a work function rather than driving home, and I wish I hadn't. I have never stayed at this hotel before, but I was excited because I've heard nice thing, and it has a historical aspect. Well, there were some historical aspects, but really it's just old and outdated. It's really too bad, because it has the potential to be a beautiful hotel, but everything just seems old, dingy, and dirty. I also found their customer service to be incredible lacking, bordering on unacceptable. The staff members I interacted with were unaccommodating and some were even outright rude. I really wish I could give a better review, but unfortunately, I can't. If you're coming to Cleveland do yourself a favor and avoid the Renaissance.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Renaissance Cleveland Hotel? Share your experiences!