“Unusual and Interesting” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Tel Aviv
“Unusual and Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

When checking in for an overnight stay in this unusual hotel, it was explained to us that in a previous incarnation the building was the first shopping mall to be built in the United States in the late 1800's. Recently refurbished and converted into a hotel, the result is mixed. The Atrium is really very aesthetic indeed and has been artfully and tastefully restored. Our room, an Arcade King Suite, was truly enormous, with a sitting room, and a vast adjacent bedroom with King Bed and well equipped bathroom. While furnished with modern fittings, I can’t say the room had a lot of character. What I found most disturbing, however, was that the windows facing into the Atrium had to be shuttered so that the guests using the balcony passageway would not have a clear view of the room, while the external window had the most awful view of the A/C compressors for the entire hotel and assorted mechanical mayhem – the result being that we felt shuttered in and a touch claustrophobic, despite the size of the room. I would assume that not all rooms have such a terrible view out of the window, but the general feeling was that the room did not “work”. Nevertheless, we had an excellent breakfast at the restaurant (indeed, one of the best asparagus omlettes I have ever had), and the fitness room was well equipped and pleasant to use. Location is good, close to downtown shopping and within walking distance of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. An interesting choice if only for the history of the building and the unique character of the hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors probably have better views from the window
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Warszawa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at the Cleveland Hyatt in September 2014 during a business trip. While my car was parked in the Valet Lot, it was broken-into and vandalized. I travel extensively, but this is the very first time I'd had something like this happen. Unfortunately, dealing with Hyatt, trying to get any compensation for the damages caused to my vehicle while it was in their care, has been even worse than the actual burglary. For six weeks I've been trying to get any compensation whatsoever -- without luck. Hyatt's own employees took my property-loss report and documented the damage with their own snap-o-matik; there is no dispute that this incident took place while I was their guest. But, to have the company accept financial responsibility is a different matter. I've spoken with a range of individuals (from the parking manager to the general manager to the insurance adjuster and customer service from Corporate) and while all of them have been apologetic, none are empowered to do anything other than say "Terribly, sorry!" I'm disappointed my car was targeted by thieves; more so, because this happened at a high-end supposedly five-star property. I'm even more disappointed, however, that a luxury, respected global brand would not do its utmost to remedy the situation. I've wasted countless hours on the phone trying to sort this out, providing statements, reports, documentation, photos, receipts and the like: all for nothing. That's unacceptable.

Downtown Cleveland isn't a safe neighborhood. There are drunks on the sidewalks at night, people sleeping in doorways, and police sirens wailing at night. I walked there in the evening and won't repeat that mistake. But I understamd: crime can happen anywhere. Vigilant security at the parking facility (a multi-story garage) probably could have prevented such an incident. But Hyatt's response is not what I would have expected. Traveling on business, I don't always stay at hotels as nice as that, but never in my experience have I been treated with such indifference. The problem isn't limited to the local staff in Cleveland, but --judging by the response from the management at the corporate level-- is an institutionalized policy to avoid responsibility. I will therefore avoid all Hyatt Hotels, because I expect five star service for a five-star price. Unfortunately, that's just not the case at the Hyatt.

Room Tip: The rooms facing either of the two main roads are noisy at night due to emergency vehicles (ambulanc...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here for business two nights recently, and chose this hotel because I like cool old buildings. The building was interesting--but nothing was happening on the retail levels and the whole ambience was just kind of dead. The building also clearly suffers from "historic building" problem, where the owner can't update flooring or uneven stairways because they are "historic". This is stupid, because no matter how clean ancient tile floors or uneven stairways are, they end up looking old and junky--which the original builders would never have allowed. Room was clean and nicely appointed. Front staff people were nice. Restaurant was average, as was the room. Nothing particularly to complain about, no reason to go back.

Also, the insistence on charging for slow wifi is irritating. If budget hotels provide it for free, which they do, Hyatt should be ashamed of charging so much for such poor wifi.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Hughesville MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I see some of your other reviewers were also at the hotel the sat night of the wedding followed by the Browns game. They closed the entire center of the hotel for a wedding with a 2 bit band that was obnoxious. Then they closed the dining room so we had to leave the hotel for dinner, but after having breakfast the next morning we should be greatful we did not eat dinner there.. They were serving the dried out cheese and fruit from the wedding last night and for $20 per person the buffet was awful. We asked the waitress 4 times for clean cofee cups and water glassess. She even admitted she had a hard time finding clean ones. My brother kept asking me are you sure this was a HYATT?? Never again folks, I would not stay here again for that ridiculous price and and fees. It looks amazing until you get inside.

Room Tip: Go to the room first. Ours was awful. Squeeky floor cheap furniture and a view of a brick wall and...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed in one of the renovated rooms opposite the lobby but closest to the House of Blues and East 4th Street. There was a noisy wedding on Saturday night but we stayed out, enjoying ourselves, until the band was winding down and our room was pretty quiet anyway. We walked to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the ballpark and the Warehouse district from the Hyatt which made it ideal for our trip. Bed was great. The gym was small but nice, especially the refrigerated towels. Why no safe in the room? My only major criticism. The Arcade is quite beautiful. Sitting sipping coffee in the restaurant looking at the detail and craftsmanship on display made us aware of the history of Cleveland, particularly the contrast between the wealthy industrialists and the immigrant craftsman in an unexpected way.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

the Hyatt name was not done proudly in Cleveland. The lobby was barely adequate because they depended too much on the Arcade which was beautiful! I was put in a room with a lovely view of the ventilation system and told that there were no other rooms available - ands I made the reservation months in advance. so I slept to the sounds of the ice machine - I really felt that the front desk could have done more to accommodate me and really can't recommend the hotel. another colleague was put in a room next to the elevator and listened to the noise from that all night...not sure which was worse - the elevator or the ice machine

Room Tip: Be specific o requesting a room with a view and NOT a view of the ventilation system!
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Loved our stay for a pre-game night out in Cleveland with our friends visiting from San Diego and WV. A quick taxi ride to Ohio City, and plenty to do right around the hotel. The room was one of the largest I've stayed in, in recent years. Loved all of the floor space to spread out our bags. Beds and pillows were comfy, and the hotel was very quiet. We visited the hotel bar after an evening out and it was well-stocked with friendly service.

The hotel is large, but somehow had a quaint feeling. The breakfast buffet was good and service was fast and friendly. BONUS POINTS for having almond milk for us non-dairy-creamer fans :) We will definitely return!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade? Share your experiences!