“Still charging for WiFi” 3 of 5 stars

Double Your Points
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Still charging for WiFi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I think this is hotel meets your needs pretty well if you are traveling for pleasure. It was clean. The staff was very nice. There were nice views. The beds were comfortable and the shower worked well. No bad odors or stains. Felt pretty secure.

On the negative side. They charge 13 dollars a day for WiFi. I know that some hotels have no choice about this based on their contract with whoever actually owns the property but free Wifi is so common that those hotels that charge really stand out. The other negative is that the immediate area the Hyatt is quite isolated. I walked around on Friday night at 6:00 and Sunday morning at 10:00 and at both times I walked several blocks where I did not see another person. If you like to walk out of your hotel and stroll by interesting shops and restaurants, this is NOT your hotel. There is one street that is closed off to car traffic that had a dozen or so restaurants, but that's really it.

I booked my room through Priceline. I was able to get it for $65 a night. Parking was another $24 a day and if I had used the Wifi it would have been another $13. I was told that they didn't take room requests when a room was booked through a third party but they would take my preferences and see what they could do. I asked for a room above the 5th floor and away from the ice machine and elevator. We also asked for the two beds as opposed to one King. Finally, we asked for a room overlooking Superior Street. Happily, they were able to give us everything we asked for. The room was pretty quiet. We were not disturbed by the weddings and other events in the arcade. However, on Monday morning, the traffic did wake me up. I am not a super light sleeper, so I think I light sleeper would want a room even higher. In addition, I think a room at the 8th floor or higher would have afforded a view of the Lake. On the 6th Floor we looked out on to the Post Office, which is a nice building but I think the Lake view would have been nicer.

If I were to visit Cleveland again, I would try to stay in the Ohio City or Tremont areas, especially since we already visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and would not care if we were close to it (the Hyatt is walking distance to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which was definitely a plus). Ohio City and Tremont are very arty areas with lots of shops, galleries, and restaurants. You could walk out your door and be happy all day strolling around.

I do want to emphasize that the staff were extremely nice and they would have brought my ranking up if it were not for the Wifi charge lowering the score.

Room Tip: Unless you are there for a wedding in the Arcade, you should ask for a room on the 8th Floor or high...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The arcade is a really neat place to see, but I'm not sure that I would want to stay there again. The room I had was in the arcade, and as some have mentioned it was pretty loud. While the rooms were clean, they were dated. My window looked at the parking garage and the curtains did not black out the lights from the parking garage during the night, so there were constantly shadows in my room. The staff, however, was very pleasant and accomodating. The hotel itself was definitely not up to par with other Hyatt's I have stayed at. I got my room on Priceline for $65/night, and it was fine for that, but I would not have been happy if I had paid their advertised rate of $179.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Just a short site filled walk to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Combines old world charm with perfect beds. Our room overlooked the shops on 4th street - it was quiet and convenient. There was a wedding the night we arrived - I think they put us there so we didn't hear the music at all.

We checked in late and didn't feel too adventurous regarding food. Our friends at the front desk recommended Rascal Pizza - which was a great treat. Highly recommend the pizza, sandwich and cannoli.

Short walk to coffee at the Erie Island Coffee shop - nice people and great coffee. The hotel is connected to The Chocolate Bar restaurant. Great food, chocolate martini's and dessert. The visitor is across the street. A very friendly Nicole helped me map my walk to the Rock and Roll Museum so I could see the most interesting things - mirrored sculptures, fountains, and an old church.

A great place to stay for a quick trip to Cleveland.

Room Tip: I would have liked to stay in the main area, but I think we got placed towards 4th street because of...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Chicagoland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

This historic building is a unique location for a hotel. The first and second floors are open to the public while the guest rooms are secured and the public cannot access them. The first and second floors have the hotel's lobby, fitness center, salon, bar and restaurant, as well as a post office, tailor, coffee bar with Starbucks, and other services. Our newly renovated room felt so new and fresh, we may have been the first guests to have the room. It was clean, quiet, and comfortable. Best sleep I have had in months. The staff was exceedingly professional throughout. The location was close to everything - 15 minute walk to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and across the street from the Federal Reserve Bank, which does free educational tours. I highly recommend you walk out the back entrance to the hotel, where you will find restaurants, the Q, Progressive Field, House of Blues, and Horseshoe Casino steps away - really, it is all right there. The building itself is fantastic and pictures don't convey just how beautiful the arcade is. Should we ever return to Cleveland, I would hope to stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are offered "turn down service" with your room, take advantage of it. The staff em...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Growing up near Cleveland, I remember the Arcade from years ago. There use to be a chicken in the entrance that could play tic-tac-toe! To see this historical piece of architecture transform into a beautiful hotel is so wonderful! Our stay was very nice. We pulled up to the entrance on Superior Ave. ( I did come from East 9th and made a U-turn in front of the hotel) , the valet service was ready and waiting. They tell you up front that the fee is $24, and will be charged to your room. The attendants were efficient and friendly. When you enter the hotel, you head to the left and go up an elevator to get to the lobby. check- in went well - and we really appreciated the warning that there was a wedding going on that night - and they wondered if we needed it to be quiet before 11 - I imagine if we had, we would have gotten a room that did not overlook the arcade. Due to the wedding, the arcade looked even more amazing! Our room was very clean - decorated in a minimalist modern style - bed very comfortable. If the flat screen TV had been mounted on the wall, it would have given the room a little more of a decorated feel. Important info - the frige and coffee maker are in the stand under the TV - a neat place to hide it in a small space. We did get a very spacious bathroom. We were out until about 11 30 - the wedding was winding down - but the noise was pretty audible in the room probably until about 12 30 - so if you have to get some sleep and a wedding is going on - be sure to avoid an arcade room.
The arcade itself has the hotel's restaurant 1890- which was nice - had a breakfast buffet that was good - we were able to have a package that included the breakfast there. They also have a spa, small coffee stand on the ground floor if you just want a cup of coffee, and the exercise room - but not much else - there are still a lot of available spaces - it would be nice to see businesses go in that would cater to the hotel guests such as gift shops, services , maybe a small grocery store. The staff there was very nice. what was really great - is that when you walk out the Euclid entrance - you are right in the East 4th/Euclid Avenue activities - its all right there -
Chocolate Bar is actually in The Arcade itself. The Q, Jacobs Field, The Library, and Conference Center are all in walking distance. It was a wonderful place to stay for a night out on the town!

Room Tip: If you want a view - get the Arcade view - but if you want quiet, get a room away from the arcade.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The staff was very friendly from the General Manager on down to every employee we met. The hotel is just old and in need of renovation.. Staff was very accomodating by providing us with a complementary cot and refrigerator at no charge. Location is really good as it is downtown near hot spots. Rooms were very spacious and hotel was quiet. Bathroom was clean and had a great shower head. Would probably stay there again if other sites were booked. Parking was $23.00 for one night and wifi was a $10.00 charge.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Every year, there is an event in Cleveland and this is where we stay. Have never had any issues whatsoever and everyone who works there is friendly and helpful! Usually stay in double queen room and they are always clean. The price is reasonable for the location. Have stayed in a suite before and comparing it to the average room, the suite is not worth the $$. My favorite part is the proximity to east 4th!!! Love love love.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends