“Reminder that Cleveland Had a Time of Grandeur...and This is Not That Time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade

Stay More, Save More
Ranked #25 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Eastern Mountains
“Reminder that Cleveland Had a Time of Grandeur...and This is Not That Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I'll start by saying that I really enjoyed my stay at the Cleveland Hyatt Regency at The Arcade. Our room was clean and updated recently although I've had more than one trusted friend tell me they had the opposite experience. Maybe they have renovated since my friends stayed because I was expecting something comically out of date. That wasn't the case at all.

The architecture of The Arcade is beautiful. It's easy to imagine this place as an opulent hotel in a different time. The location is fantastic for a group of friends meeting up in Cleveland for a fun weekend or a romantic stay. It's near any of the sports venues, dining, theaters, the science museum, casino, and public transportation.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

The Hyatt is one of those good news bad news places. The good news is that the rooms are really nice, and interesting. The rooms are clean and modern, and the restaurant is better than you’d expect. The building is an old indoor mall, really old, and the rooms surround a 5 story open air atrium. It’s a very nice setting.

But the bad news… that atrium is like an echo chamber, and every loud sound made on the floor of the atrium, and on the elevated walkways surrounding each floor facing into the atrium, is amplified and echoes through-out the entire facility. I am an average sleeper, and I found it a very hard place to get to sleep and remain that way.

The atrium itself is accessible to the street. One night around 11 pm, a group of revelers came in and starting having a little bit of a party on the floor. It woke me up. They remained there until I called the front desk, who had seemed to not notice, and then security came to ask them to leave. The next night it was a group of conventioneers staying at the hotel, coming into their rooms at about the same time and shouting to one another across the atrium, that woke me up and kept me up.

This could all be managed if the Hyatt required its security to be more active, asking people to be quiet in the public spaces at a reasonable hour or keeping people from the street from coming in after, say, 10 pm. But they hang around in the check-in area, on the opposite end of the building from the active street entrance, and just don’t intervene with loud visitors or guests. When I asked one to do something, he replied that he hadn’t heard anything, which was likely, since he was away from the action. I sensed that he resented me asking him to intervene.

I think the Hyatt would be a good place to stay if you wanted to party with some friends. It is, however, a poor choice for business travelers, like me, who need to depend on a hassle free, good night sleep, in order to be fresh for clients. I won’t be staying there again, despite the pleasing architecture.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels will be quiet enough to sleep in.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
HRCleveland, Manager at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your stay at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed our guestrooms, restaurant and historical building, but disappointed that you were inconvenienced by noise during your stay. We do everything possible to minimize guest disruption due to noise in The Arcade, and apologize that your experience was not satisfactory. We value the feedback of our guests, and appreciate you sharing your experience with us. We hope you will join us again so that we have a chance to make your next business stay more pleasant.
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for a wedding. The building is amazing and I love the idea of keeping the old shop-hotel look around the Arcade; however, the rooms look as if they haven't been renovated since the 1800s. Everything in the room was muted and for lack of a better word gross. The only toiletries in the bathroom were shampoo and conditioner. There was a dilapidated corduroy chair with a sunken seat.
Very disappointing experience overall. There are much nicer properties in Cleveland.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your stay at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed the historical beauty of our building, but disappointed that your guestroom experience did not meet expectations. We recently begun offering updated rooms with all-new modern furnishings and decor, and expect to have all guestrooms fully updated by 2015. We greatly appreciate your feedback, and hope you will join us in the future to experience our new guestrooms.
Columbus Grove, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

This hotel is so accommodating! My 9 year old son frequently has appointments at Cleveland Clinic and this is his most requested hotel to stay in and there isn't even a swimming pool! We were automatically upgraded to a very nice room the first time we stayed which had two separate rooms with a tv in each. The next time we went we had just asked if a room like that was available and she said if there was she would put us there and she did! Such friendly staff! we also went to an Indians game and a map was given to walk. When we returned the staff was quick to ask my son if he enjoyed the game. This is a very accommodating hotel with a staff that truly cares about the people who are staying here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Plymouth, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a friend's wedding reception that was held in The Arcade. Upon arrival, the valet and front desk staff were very welcoming and helpful. There were plenty of public parking garages in the area but we chose to valet because we are lazy.

The room was on the smaller-side but nice. Everything looked new or recently updated. We were not in the room much but if you like to hangout in your room, make sure you get a room in the tower to avoid a view of someone's car grill right outside your window. We thought it was great to walk out of the room, right into The Arcade (which is were the reception was). It was one of the more unique wedding reception venues I have been to.

In the morning, there were many options for breakfast. We chose the quick bagel-and-a-coffee route; both were good. When leaving, the valet was quick and friendly.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. Location is great and price was reasonable.

Room Tip: Rooms not on the Arcade will ensure a more quiet stay.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Just returned from an overnight at the Hyatt to attend a business function downtown Cleveland. It was either our third of fourth stay at this Hyatt over the past seven or eight years. We snared this on Hotwire, blind booking by star level, for about $105.

As others have noted, you can't get a better location -- Tribe game, Playhouse Square, casino, E. 4th on the doorstep. We self-parked at the garage next door and were greeted by a trio of smiling, accommodating women on check in (a big improvement over our last visit). When I asked if a king room was available, the staff member warned us the only king rooms faced the inside of the Arcade and that there was a wedding that night. After reading previous reviews, I knew not to get the king. Instead, we were put into a double room overlooking the Cleveland Public Library (lovely building) with Lake Erie in the background. Clean, quiet, comfortable bed...not cutting edge, but decor from 2000s, not 1990s.

The Arcade itself continues to be underused. When we were checking out, a film crew was setting -- presumably to shoot scenes from a movie John Travolta is starring in which is being filmed at the moment in town. I so hope that people visiting from the upcoming Gay Games...or that, if Cleveland snares it, the national Republican convention...see the potential of this arcade and parlay it into the grand destination spectacle it should be. The bones are there.

Anyway, I'd recommend this play -- 5 stars for location, 2.5 for decor, 4 for comfort and friendliness...

Room Tip: If you need peace and quiet, make sure to get a room that doesn't face the atrium.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
West Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I travel a good deal regionally on business, so I spend a great deal of time in hotels. Typically, I am a Hampton Inn/Garden Inn/Courtyard level guy. So I may be a little spoiled when it comes to wear and tear. That being said, it is rare that main circuit, stayed in regularly hotels get to a funky, worn place. In my latest position, now going on 7 years, I know of at least one Hampton and one Courtyard that have redecorated twice, and just about any facility in that seven years which has not been re-carpeted and re-upholstered is not getting my business.

So, here we have the Hyatt Regency at the Arcade. Just a great location, it literally doesn't get better. The Arcade is an architectural gem. Within two minutes, you are at the Rapid (light rail,) you are at Progressive Field, you are at Browns Stadium, Rock Hall, etc. The people taking cars, the folks at the desk, all fantastic. The little coffee shop in the Arcade, fantastic.

The room on the eighth floor, next to the Presidential Suite which you paid serious weekend money for on Hotwire, not so much. Clearly, with the Arcade, this place is a Wedding machine. The weddings are easy, not too noisy, etc. But the traffic this room had seen was absolutely evident. The chair in our room had been blasted so many times to get it clean, the pattern and fabric is wearing. To look at it is like a flashback of all the prom/bad drunken wedding acts running on video loop over and over. It is almost movie prop for a hotel room about prom regrets bad. The room smelled of past smoke, not horrible, just covered in spray to mask bad. My roomie and I laughed at how many times they must have charged the cleaning fee. We figured it was, on its own, a record profit center.

The carpet was also very worn and the furniture, you know, not bad, just, it's time. I cannot imagine, given all the other attributes, that this room isn't literally on the list for redecoration TODAY! I would hope the other rooms weren't this worn, and can't imagine if they were, this place would hum like it does.

Hyatt, this place is a real jewel. Get your people into the rooms which haven't been touched in a while (not cleaned, the room was clean) and ask yourself, are we proud of the décor? Have we felt as though our Mom could stay here? Is the gum we steam cleaned out of the carpet in 2011, and coordinating black clump residue, from my niece's wedding?

You have everything in the world to be proud about, just make sure you're looking in the corners and checking behind chairs when the cleaning lady is done. Clear the make up vanity, get a facial, and start with a new, FRESH, clean look. It is what I expect when I pay this much on HOTWIRE for a weekend Downtown, and until I hear different, I won't pay top dollar again.

Room Tip: Ask "when was the last time the room you are giving me was redecorated. Ask if there is a Wedd...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade? Share your experiences!