“Location can't be beat, tons of potential, smiling faces” 4 of 5 stars

Double Your Points
Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersBronze level
cleveland
“Location can't be beat, tons of potential, smiling faces”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Just returned from an overnight at the Hyatt to attend a business function downtown Cleveland. It was either our third of fourth stay at this Hyatt over the past seven or eight years. We snared this on Hotwire, blind booking by star level, for about $105.

As others have noted, you can't get a better location -- Tribe game, Playhouse Square, casino, E. 4th on the doorstep. We self-parked at the garage next door and were greeted by a trio of smiling, accommodating women on check in (a big improvement over our last visit). When I asked if a king room was available, the staff member warned us the only king rooms faced the inside of the Arcade and that there was a wedding that night. After reading previous reviews, I knew not to get the king. Instead, we were put into a double room overlooking the Cleveland Public Library (lovely building) with Lake Erie in the background. Clean, quiet, comfortable bed...not cutting edge, but decor from 2000s, not 1990s.

The Arcade itself continues to be underused. When we were checking out, a film crew was setting -- presumably to shoot scenes from a movie John Travolta is starring in which is being filmed at the moment in town. I so hope that people visiting from the upcoming Gay Games...or that, if Cleveland snares it, the national Republican convention...see the potential of this arcade and parlay it into the grand destination spectacle it should be. The bones are there.

Anyway, I'd recommend this play -- 5 stars for location, 2.5 for decor, 4 for comfort and friendliness...

Room Tip: If you need peace and quiet, make sure to get a room that doesn't face the atrium.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
West Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I travel a good deal regionally on business, so I spend a great deal of time in hotels. Typically, I am a Hampton Inn/Garden Inn/Courtyard level guy. So I may be a little spoiled when it comes to wear and tear. That being said, it is rare that main circuit, stayed in regularly hotels get to a funky, worn place. In my latest position, now going on 7 years, I know of at least one Hampton and one Courtyard that have redecorated twice, and just about any facility in that seven years which has not been re-carpeted and re-upholstered is not getting my business.

So, here we have the Hyatt Regency at the Arcade. Just a great location, it literally doesn't get better. The Arcade is an architectural gem. Within two minutes, you are at the Rapid (light rail,) you are at Progressive Field, you are at Browns Stadium, Rock Hall, etc. The people taking cars, the folks at the desk, all fantastic. The little coffee shop in the Arcade, fantastic.

The room on the eighth floor, next to the Presidential Suite which you paid serious weekend money for on Hotwire, not so much. Clearly, with the Arcade, this place is a Wedding machine. The weddings are easy, not too noisy, etc. But the traffic this room had seen was absolutely evident. The chair in our room had been blasted so many times to get it clean, the pattern and fabric is wearing. To look at it is like a flashback of all the prom/bad drunken wedding acts running on video loop over and over. It is almost movie prop for a hotel room about prom regrets bad. The room smelled of past smoke, not horrible, just covered in spray to mask bad. My roomie and I laughed at how many times they must have charged the cleaning fee. We figured it was, on its own, a record profit center.

The carpet was also very worn and the furniture, you know, not bad, just, it's time. I cannot imagine, given all the other attributes, that this room isn't literally on the list for redecoration TODAY! I would hope the other rooms weren't this worn, and can't imagine if they were, this place would hum like it does.

Hyatt, this place is a real jewel. Get your people into the rooms which haven't been touched in a while (not cleaned, the room was clean) and ask yourself, are we proud of the décor? Have we felt as though our Mom could stay here? Is the gum we steam cleaned out of the carpet in 2011, and coordinating black clump residue, from my niece's wedding?

You have everything in the world to be proud about, just make sure you're looking in the corners and checking behind chairs when the cleaning lady is done. Clear the make up vanity, get a facial, and start with a new, FRESH, clean look. It is what I expect when I pay this much on HOTWIRE for a weekend Downtown, and until I hear different, I won't pay top dollar again.

Room Tip: Ask "when was the last time the room you are giving me was redecorated. Ask if there is a Wedd...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Naperville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Could not ask for a better location in downtown Cleveland. Walked to restaurants, bars and the Indians game. They have renovated since I stayed here a year ago, and they have done a nice job. The only things I wish they had was a bar that stayed open later, and muffins or some sort of food at their coffee shop.

New Canaan, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

My room was located at the back end of the Arcade and was nothing special. The carpet in my room was badly stained and worn, the bathroom was also worn-out and aside from a location in the downtown area which makes everything within walking distance I would most likely not stay here again. Front desk staff were very pleasant and the parking valet was convenient as well there just is not much to say about this property that is particularly flattering.

Room Tip: DO not get a room located in the back of the Arcade, get one closer to the front desk area it feels...
Hoboken, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We are platinum gold passport members and stay at Hyatt's all the time. That being said we were extremely disappointed in our stay this past weekend at the Hyatt Regency Cleveland.

First off, we consider ourselves lucky, because our room was tucked away from the Arcade (room 710), but if we were on the Arcade, we most likely would have left and stayed somewhere else. There was a wedding going on in the Arcade (basically the lobby) both nights until 11pm. The music is so loud and definitely would have kept me awake, had I been unlucky enough to be in a room on the Arcade. They also shut down the street level and lobby level, so we had a much more difficult time getting around the hotel.

Our next issue was with the room itself. There is no vent fan in the bathroom to get the air moving around in there, which is an issue when using the toilet and using the shower. This is most likely the reason there was mold growing in the grout in the corner of the shower. I'm not sure what was all over the actual bottom of the tub, but there is no way I would stand on it. Thankfully there was a mat to stick over it, but for a Hyatt Regency this is just unacceptable. There was also no safe in the room, so I had no where to lock my laptop or jewelry, when not in the room.

The worst of it, however was the maid service, or lack thereof. We checked in on Friday and checked out on Sunday. We did not get any maid service until Saturday night at 6pm, by which point we had already showered once and wanted to shower again, but had no new towels, and had also ran out of toilet paper....yup that's kind of essential. Our friends stayed one floor below us in 610. They had potential maid service at 10:30am, but were still getting ready and asked them to come back in a half an hour. Maid service never returned. They too ran out of toilet paper and never received new towels.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the Arcade on a weekend.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

This was my first visit to Cleveland and had the pleasure of staying at the Hyatt Regency Arcade for the week of May 19th. The Arcade is beautiful with historical architecture & offers a a bit of charm and not your typical downtown hotel. Highly recommend staying here.

The restaurant for breakfast is hard to find, you have to walk through the bar to get to it. Barb waited on me for breakfast & is great! Personable and attentive but also gives you time to enjoy your meal. I really hope that I have the right name as she should be recognized. She was working on May 21 and 22nd mornings.

Only disappointment was most of the stores were not open in the Arcade, was a bit odd. It would have been nice to be told that guests receive a discount in the salon located on the 2nd floor. The staff at the salon were wonderful & mentioned the discount. Hotel staff should inform guests at check-in or have information on what the Arcade shops offer to hotel guests.

The hotel is walkable to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, all of the sports venues and the restaurants on East 4th Street. Unique dining for fine dining and casual pubs. Recommend staying here.

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel from 2008 - 2014 for the Cleveland marathon, always held each May. I always enjoy this hotel. Wonderful, caring staff, from valet service to check in to room attendant...and the rooms are wonderful! Not sure I keep running the marathon for the marathon (which is also awesome) or that I simply love this hotel! I always meet my family (they are from Pittsburgh and I am from Cincinnati) and they too love this hotel...a real gem!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family