“Arcade rooms are amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Advance Purchase 10% Off
Ranked #21 of 32 hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Greater Cleveland
“Arcade rooms are amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed here with my wife and we had an arcade room. The room was quite beautiful and spacious. There was a living area with a couch, chair, table, desk, and television. There was a wide hallway that went to the bedroom which was a circular/octagon shape. The layout was beautiful. It is one of the coolest looking and spacious hotel rooms I have stayed in. The corridor to the room overlooked the Arcade, which has some business people in for lunch at the food court and some people going to the shops (a salon, U.S. post office, etc.) The Arcade closes at 6 to the public and it is very cool at night when there is no or few other people there. The fitness center for the hotel also occupies one of the spots in the Arcade, which is a very cool place to workout. The bell service attendants were extremely nice and helpful. The restaurant and lounge affiliated with the hotel (1890) are also in the Arcade. The Cleveland Public Library has some interesting architecture and is located right across the street on Superior. Guy's Pizza is also located nearby on Superior. Definitely order from there if looking for some pizza. The room service food and hotel restaurant is the best of any Hyatt Regency I have stayed at. 1890 has some talented people working there making inspired food. The hotel is also a close walk to Progressive Field and the Q. There are also a plethora of restaurants and bars nearby on E.4th St, featuring restaurants of three James Beard Award nominees - Michael Symon, Jonathon Sawyer, and Zack Bruell. The street also has a bowling alley, coffee shop, and the cool C.L.E. Clothing Company gift store. The Horseshoe Casino is also not too far of a walk. This is a nice central location to be in.

497 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

It was with some trepidation that we booked our room at this hotel given a few of the less positive reviews we read on Trip Advisor (especially the one about the haunted room in 214 <grin>). However, our options were limited because there were two huge events in Cleveland that weekend and we really wanted someplace centrally located to the entertainment district and the Quicken Loans arena so we could walk to the concert we were attending. In short, our experience at the Hyatt Arcade was simply outstanding. The bell station staff was fantastic. We were running late when we got to the hotel. They got our bags onto a cart quickly, took care of our car, and walked us to registration and waited until we got checked in because they knew we didn’t have time to call down later for our bags. The bell man that helped us was really upbeat and made us feel welcome from the minute we stepped out of our car. Registration was quick and we got to our room which was a perfect size and had all the expected accommodations, nice size closet, modern flat screen TV and a safe for storing valuables. The bell staff also arranged right away to have a taxi waiting to take us to our dinner reservation at a nearby restaurant because they knew we were running late. I was also impressed that their smoking room came equipped with a special air filter (effective, but quiet!), something that I wish other hotels would employ. Our room had a lot of character, with high ceilings, tall windows and the beds were very comfortable and the other furniture attractive. Another reviewer posted pictures of some furniture that was worn, but the furniture in our room looked brand new. Throughout our stay, we found the hotel staff and the people working at coffee shop were friendly and helpful. As you can see from the pictures on the hotel website, the hotel is in a historic building with a very attractive atrium. If we could arrange our trip over again, we would plan to stay an extra day or two because we really loved this hotel and can’t wait to go back and explore the nearby entertainment district. I didn’t mind the parking charge - $23 for a day of parking at an urban hotel in a city the size of Cleveland isn’t that unusual. I purposely left my computer home on this trip, so I didn’t use Wi-fi because my other devices connect just fine with 4G. But if I had needed Wi-FI, I would have been irritated by any kind of charge. I have to agree with another reviewer that fast Wi-Fi should be a free service at any hotel in this day and age, particularly an upscale hotel. Management should seriously revisit that issue. Other than that, I don’t know why our experience was so different from what some previous guests have written, but we wholeheartedly endorse this place. Even the ghosts were friendly because they let us sleep in peaceful slumber, undisturbed, all night long. Our stay was delightful and we highly recommend the Hyatt Regency Cleveland at the Arcade.

Room Tip: I haven't seen many complaints about noise, but if you are a light sleeper, you can request a qu...
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

While the outside looks to be housing some great hotel experience, this was just average. The front desk staff were pleasant - I was there while someone was having a bit of a meltdown - and was handling graciously. The room? Not much to write home about -- the lighting was bad, the decor a bit beaten up and the bathroom was fair. I was situated behind the elevators so that provided a bit of background music to sleep by. I did visit the bar and wasn't too impressed with the staff or location. Room service was delivered promptly but it was a bit overpriced for the quality. Valet was timely and not too pricey for city parking. Overall, it was the location that was the highlight -- I could leave through the arcade and be out amid the weekend crowds. I found that to be the saving grace of an otherwise forgettable hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
New River Gorge, WV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Booked here because it was easy access to Quicken Arena for a concert. Forgot to investigate parking before leaving and surprised to find it was an extra $23. It's a beautiful historic building and I had a tower room. Very large room configured strangely - one very worn chair provided. Had the 2 beds positioned so close to the bathroom you could hardly enter it - there's plenty of room so I don't understand the placement of the beds - move them over some!! Room had very strong disinfectant smell like Lysol. There was a wedding there that night but I was at concert and got back to hotel at 12:15am so I don't know how noisy it would have been. Had to go to another floor to get ice. Wifi was additional $10 more a day - ridiculous! Get with the times, Hyatt! Every other hotel offers it for free! No-brand bottled water in the room was $4. I liked the extra security of having to use card to access elevator. I had stayed in a much less expensive hotel the night before, which provided refrigerator, microwave, free wifi, free breakfast, clean-smelling and free parking so not impressed at all with the Hyatt in Cleveland.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Although the "Hyatt Cleveland" is absolutely beautiful, be very careful what room they put you in. I highly advise you steer clear of room 214.

I was in town like many others for a convention at the Marriott Hotel around the corner. I checked in late after a miserable flight from Laguardia that was supposed to leave at 1:30 with a stop over in Pittsburgh, but was cancelled due to bad weather. I ended up arriving at the Hyatt a little after midnight completely exhausted.

As soon as I entered the room I had a funny feeling, like something was watching me. I don't know, the room just felt dark and eerie. I had to be up at 8:00, so I took a hot bath (nice bathtub by the way) to relax my nerves and get some sleep. Much needed after my 13 hour journey from Brooklyn.

I tossed and I turned, I turned and I tossed. Finally, I turned on the bedside lamp and pulled out my book. Reading at night always knocks me out, but then again so does a hot bath. Every time I shut me eyes and started to relax, I kept having uncomfortable thoughts and was so on edge I could not sleep. Finally at around 4:00 am, sheer exhaustion got to me and I passed out. My wake-up call came 4 hours later. I got up and dragged myself to the convention for the very important debut of our new product offering. It was hell, I was running on coffee and empty throughout the entire day. I struggled through it, all the while wishing the day it would finally come to an end, so I could go back to my room and get some sleep.

5:30 finally rolled around and I went straight back to my room missing the evening bowling event, a very important networking opportunity, but I just couldn't do it. So back in my room, I ordered the salmon (very nice, but a bit bland) and a glass of wine. I took a hot steaming bath and rolled into bed with my book. Again, a foreboding heaviness was in the room. Again, exhausted I turned off the light and tried to fall asleep. And again, the same experience as the night before. I got out of bed and did a little yoga and some stretching. I tried some more reading. When that failed, I went online and found one of those apps to help you sleep. I downloaded and listened to it for 45 minutes. It was relaxing, but still I could not fall asleep. Finally, again I passed out and was lucky to get 5 hours this night . Still not nearly enough, especially having the night I did before.

In the morning I packed my bags and went to the checkout. When the young woman asked me how my stay was, I told her. I said there is something wrong with that room and got next to no sleep the past 2 nights. As she cheerfully apologized and told me she was sorry to hear that, I could not help but notice the other employee a bit more senior standing to her right look down and slightly away, obviously she knew the deal.

I paid my bill and dragged my sorry self over to the Marriott. Upon entering the lobby, a sweet young bell person rushed over to my aid offering to check my bag for me. Seeing my dismal face, he proclaimed; "I am going to make you smile if it is the last thing I do today." I looked up at him and apologized for my behavior and proceeded to tell him about my stay at the Hyatt Cleveland. The gentleman bowed his head and shook it from left to right. "Miss, I've worked here for 2 years now, he said. And if you had any idea how many people have told me this exact same stories and worse, you wouldn't believe it."

Do what you will people, but you have been warned. Stay away from this hotel!

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 214!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HRCleveland, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Sorry S,
We appreciate you sharing these details about your experience at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade. We apologize that your stay did not meet expectations. Our guest's comfort is a top priority for us and we hope that you’ll give us a second chance to welcome you back.
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed at better hyatt hotels in other major cities, however for the city of cleveland didn't expect anything out of ordinary. Decent room, bathroom, nothing special. people are better off staying near university circle, due to its culture and places to see,rather than downtown which is kinda deserted. Overall, I guess it was a nice stay at the hyatt.

Stratford, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night. At check in I paid to upgrade to a better room with a King bed. Room was dirty. Finger prints on windows, furniture, and mirrors. Sink had a huge crack in it, grout was missing in shower wall tiles, and I had to fix toilet. They moved us without any issue, but next room was better in that it needed no immediate repair. Corridors and common areas are not very clean and are damaged by wear and tear. The arcade is amazing, but doesn't make up for the hotel not being in top shape. Disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HRCleveland, Manager at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
HarisonR,
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your stay at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade. We regret that your experience was outside of our normal service. We have shared your review with our executive housekeeper and chief engineer. The condition of our guest rooms is a top priority for us, and we are taking the necessary steps to address the items that you mentioned. We hope this experience doesn’t deter you from joining us at Hyatt Regency Cleveland again, and we hope you’ll give us a second chance to welcome you back.

Been to Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade? Share your experiences!