“Different in a Fun Way” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Kinnelon, NJ
“Different in a Fun Way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Got set up here for several nights over several months on business from my company and did not really have a choice where I was staying. But my take away is if you like something out of the ordinary, consider this hotel.

Never really struck me "At the Arcade" and what that meant until I got here. But imaging back 100 years to an exposition mall or World Exposition. This building has that cool feel to it. The hotel is, from what I can surmise, an old shopping mall from the 1800, early 1900's. I picture each of the rooms being a dentist or doctors office. The central "Arcade" is worth the trip just to see it. Looks like the inside of a building Roebling Eiffel would have built with a high arched ceiling and truly beautiful touches all around.

That does mean that some funky has to be put up with. Many hallways are blocked by one way gates and you must use your card key in the elevator so the general population does not walk onto the higher floors which are the Hyatt's.

If you like staying at the latest W or St. James and expect the latest and greatest, you will be disappointed. But if you want a little funky and quirky, this would be something to try. The staff is great, the Arcade is impressive, and the location is two blocks from Fountain Square. Trust me, you will remember staying here long after your stay at a Marriott Courtyard.

Room Tip: While the Arcade is impressive, it can capture noise from many floors, Ask for a street facing room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The hotel is in a mall. Which is beautiful, but caverous and as a result every sound echoes.

On one side of my room I heard the coming and goings of hotel guests chatting, walking, dragging suitcases, and elevator doors pinging open and closed. On the other side (I overlooked 4th Street) I heard bar patrons coming and going. Needless to say - did not sleep. The room itself was very tired. And they charged for EVERYTHING -- the bottled water in my room had a $4 price tag. I checked out as soon as I could - before 8am and moved to the Ritz - which was a significantly better experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
HRCleveland, Manager at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
NickyfromNYC,
We’re very sorry that your experience at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade did not meet expectations. We work very hard to provide a comfortable and enjoyable experience for all of our guests. We hope this experience doesn’t deter you from joining us at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade again, and we hope you’ll give us a second chance to welcome you back to our hotel.
Minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I'm not sure if the Hyatt hired the "low cost solution" for the companies that installed their carpets, wall paper, and painting, but most of everything was coming apart at the seams (literally). I think when it comes to a hotel's image, skimping on your first impression is not the most desirable outcome.

There were stains on the bathtub floor - that looked like someone was sick (at first glance), so I grabbed the bath mat to cover it up. The bath mat was wet and when I had it unrolled, it was full of black mold all over the entire bottom. I have to say the customer was was EXCEPTIONAL!!!! The housekeeping staff were PROMPT in removing and replacing the bath mat and gave me free breakfast for 3 and were very apologetic.

The room I stayed in, I had to walk through what I thought was a mall, but was actually a bunch of empty spaces the building could not fill. To compensate for the vacant office/retail space, the building was creative and set-up window displays of clothes in all the windows and turned off the lights, so it appeared as a large shopping mall. The reality... you walked through a large, empty building to get to the elevators. And do not plan of having much luggage!!! The elevator was big enough for 4 people without luggage and 2 people with 4 pieces of luggage!

The room was VERY Large with HIGH ceilings. It felt very awkward because it was SPARSELY decorated. It was an over-sized room for the skimpy furnishings of a with a desk w/chair, armoire, bed, night table, round table and one chair. The furnishings would have been perfect for a small room, but in a room that size, an in-room coffee bar would have helped! Also, the coffee brewer and coffee supplies were crammed underneath the tiny space in the night table next to the bed - gross at best!!!!

If you're looking for a "spa" - there is one on the 2nd floor of building on your long walk to the elevators to your room. It is NOT associated with the Hyatt. The "work-out" room is similar to the spa - it is one of the small office spaces converted into an exercise room with full floor to ceiling glass windows that are easily viewed from the 7 floors of the mall-like building.

The BEST part of staying at the Hyatt had nothing to do with the Hyatt and everything to do with the "Chocolate" Restaurant across from the elevators!!!!! I wish I would have went there sooner. I would have eaten breakfast, lunch and dinner there!!

My parting words to Hyatt Cleveland Arcade -- no offense, but I will not be returning. I hope good outcomes for the hotel and I sincerely appreciate the AWESOME Customer Service in the people you hire!!!

Room Tip: I'm not sure there is one.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
lionesslight,
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your stay at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade. We have shared your review with our general manager and are taking the necessary steps to address the concerns that you shared with us. We hope that your experience with the condition of your guest room does not overshadow the customer service that you experienced, and that you’ll give us the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

The architecture and location of the hotel are great. A shopping mall from the old days turned into a hotel right in the center of Cleveland within walking distance from most of the entertainment there.

Staff is good and rooms are basically nice with the exception that some rooms get their only daylight through the windows on the gallery which first of all reduces the light and whech also means that if you want some privacy you have to close the curtains of these windows which then leaves you without daylight

I would stay there again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Holland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Fun place to stay. Great view looking down on Euclid Avenue, walking distance to many interesting landmarks in downtown Cleveland. Specialty shops two restaurants & coffee shop just outside your room without having to go outside. Historic arcade and beautiful architecture.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Euclid Avenue or Superior Avenue
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Kris R,
We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade. We’re thrilled to hear that you were able to take advantage of our ideal location to Cleveland's many attractions. We hope you’ll join us again for your next trip to the city.
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This hotel was rated rated as a 4 star hotel, we paid $250.00 to stay there. When we got there we were soo disappointed. It is located in a partially abandon mall, the Arcade. It is very unique, however, no worth the money. The first room we got was on the fourth floor and it used to be an office at the Arcade its hay day. The room was very very tight, dark and gloomy. When we opened the window we were looking at the top of a parking structure that was full and headlights were literally facing our room. We changed rooms and ended up walking to the other end of the mall and going down some hallways,etc. This room was better. To sum it all up, it is essentially not worth the money at all. I did not feel like we were in a hotel, but a room in an abandon mall. The Holiday Inn was a block away and looked better then the Hyatt and for half the price. Don't waste your money. It has NO amenities besides a gym. No complimentary breakfast, no parking, no coffee in the lobby....Nothing special.

Room Tip: Ask to face Eclid street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
KingRoy,
We appreciate you sharing these details about your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade and apologize that your experience did not meet expectations. This feedback is especially helpful for us as we continue to look at ways that we can improve our product for our guests. We hope you’ll give us a second chance to welcome you back to Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade.
Erie, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed overnight here for the Madonna concert. The staff was very busy but you could not tell at all, they were very friendly and on top of things. We asked one of the guys where a nice place to eat/ get some drinks was. He literally WALKED us around and showed us the area! The inside of this hotel is BEAUTIFUL! Definitely an upper class feel for a wonderful price! My one and only complaint is after the concert we were hoping the bar inside would be open and they weren't. It would have been so convenient on a Saturday night to stay open and accommodate the guests.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Kim T,
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade. It’s always great to hear examples of the service that our team prides itself on. We hope you’ll join us again the next time that you visit Cleveland.

Been to Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade? Share your experiences!