“Great hotel w/ horrible bar” 5 of 5 stars

Stay More, Save More
Ranked #25 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Crested Butte, Colorado
“Great hotel w/ horrible bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

Very cool building - the Arcade is historic and looks like it's out if the 20's. Rooms in the Arcade side are old storefronts or appear to be. Very cool, perfect location, and reasonable. The bar however is completely dead, very quiet, and had a horribly loud refrigerator. They sell tiny martinis for $12. So, stay here but go to the casino down the street!

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Clearwater Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Thanks to C.A. from Washington I chose this hotel to stay at while in town for a combination of purposes.

I upgraded to a presidential suite since we were staying four days and needed a private work center as well as room to roam.

This suite #805 was $469 a night. In Tampa it would have been much higher. The room itself was gorgeous! Lots of windows, a view of the library with the stadium and the lake in the background. Nicely decorated and furnished with a fireplace, garden tub, seperate glass shower, dining room, and kitchen area. ALong with a full work area with printer. Marble foyer, in room movies, room service, it had it all.

The hotel location is ideal! The view superb.

I requested a bottle of champage and chocolate dipped berries to be in the room,but when I checked in the clerk said, "oh i see your request when would you like them" I stated now would be nice and got them 3 hours later when we got back from dinner.

The work station never worked. Now obviously I can't afford a room, vacation and meals that we afforded without being a much needed staple in my company. Being unable to work for four days was unacceptable. I reported the problem to the front desk who assured me they would send someone up that day while I perused the city. They didn't.

Getting a large kitchen area was important to me as I have special dietary needs and cant eat just any crap while on the raod. That being said, I ordered specifically in restaurants knowing I could bring food back to the room to have my needs met later. The refrigerator didnt' work. Well it kept it at room temp. Setting my bottled water under the air vent kept it cooler. I reported it as well. No one ever came to check it. I ended up putting an ice bucket full of ice in it to keep it cool. Thanks for ruining my special ordered food.

One thing I must say, DO NOT GET AN ARCADE ROOM! Unless you are part of the numerous weddings that go on here nightly you will not sleep. Now, I did not stay in one of these rooms, I almost fell for it but again needed better accomodations. If I had stayed here I would have screamed at someone to move me. The music blaring from the weddings would make it impossible to sleep in one these rooms or even rest. DOn't do it!!

The doormen and the valet were decent. Joe Gordon was very helpful . Collin in sales got me the room I wanted and was a gem to work with. The room service? Terrible! Ordered at 11:30 sunday. Menu stated breakfast available until noon lunch served after 11am. Apparently not cause it shook them all up when I tried to get both. Maid service? Terrible. Got turn down the first night, never again. Maid came morning one and asked me "what do you want me to do" Umm...clean the room would suffice. Front desk clerks never sent up repair people and never followed up with it. In room movies, never worked. TV Check out, never worked.

All in all, I loved my room. I would have loved it more if the amenities I paid to have were actually working. I would stay here again but next time I'd make it a point to make sure these items were correctly working or wring someones neck until they were!!

Room Tip: Dont get an arcade room. THey overlook the noisey arcade area and you will never sleep!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed in the hotel for a weekend trip to Cleveland. Despite the hotel being labeled 4 stars, there are no amenities at the hotel (pool, sauna) the fitness area is mediocre at best. The room was at most 300 sq.ft, not well decorated and had very old furniture. The bathroom was terrble, with one toilet paper roll and a tiny bathtub. The toilettries smelled aweful.

The staff became helpful after first putting me in a room on the second floor directly over the restairant where a loud wedding was taking place well into the night. After much negotiation I was moved to a corner room.

Room Tip: Don't think there are good room, hotel is very very old.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I'm in this business; so, perhaps I'm being too critical. In fact, this stay would be average for a lesser brand. Unfortunately, this was not Hyatt's best product. At least, I still associate the brand with a much more sophisticated package.

First, the good news: The Front Desk staff were pleasant and reasonably helpful. The vendor handling the valet parking, while not particularly polished, was really very efficient and hospitable.

The bad news was the room: I realize that a repurposed building will not consistently accommodate everything one would find in a new build; however, room 413 was like eating at the kids' table. I knew something was odd by the time I walked down a long hall only to turn into another, narrow, lonely corridor. I estimate the room wasn't much more than 300 square feet, total. Cold upon checkin, I reset the thermostat to 75 in order to take out the chill. Perhaps it was the view. The room was dark, it's two windows revealed a grimy scene from a Batman movie. The carpet was threadbare at the entrance to the tiny, dimly lighted bathroom. The back of the bathroom door was scarred where it repeatedly came in contact with the retrofitted, curved curtain rod. Even the mattress was sagging. Come to think of it, the whole room was sagging. In any case, I can only imagine it was originally a storeroom. Maybe there were ghosts...

I did have significant problems with my ($9.95) internet on the second day of my stay. The Hyatt vendor couldn't fix it despite his seemingly sincere efforts. My company's help desk couldn't either. The next day, the problems had disappeared. Should I have been worried about seeing Jack NIcholsen wielding an ax?

I assume (hope) the hotel was full, and this was a "last sell" room. Otherwise, why did you do this to me? Why would you do this to anyone?

Room Tip: Avoid the "13's."
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dover, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

We took advantage of the romance package & it was wonderful! The staff is so friendly, helpful & accommodating! The hotel is gorgeous! The rooms were immaculate! We ate at 1890...breakfast buffet (weekends) is amazing! We went back the last night of our stay for the ribeye (even We are having a blast heading to legacy! Hope you guys have fun too! Praying you get along & enjoy each others company! Love you all the options in downtown cleveland) because it was perfect! This place is a
Historical gem!

• Stayed September 2012
Detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Spent a long weekend with friends at this hotel....nothing but positive things to say about it from check-in to check-out. Took advantage of a deal 3 nights for the price of 2 and breakfast was included. Valet parking was $22 per night with in/out option. Structure next door was self park for $20. I really wasn't comfortable parking overnight at a surface lot blocks away....

I'd noticed comments about the noise and apparently the hotel has too. When we checked in we were advised there was a wedding on Friday night and that it could be noisy. If we thought it was going to be a problem they would give us a different room. They said the music would be over by 11:30, which was not a problem so we took the room. And yes, we could hear the music but it wasn't a problem and it did end by 11:30. They do a TON of weddings (it is a great location) and all afternoon Saturday wedding parties were using the Arcade for photos even though there were no weddings scheduled at the hotel. Great people watching.

Virtually everything we wanted to do was in walking distance as well as a great selection of restaurants. Front desk staff was very knowledgeable about restaurants, attractions and shopping. It was a great weekend getaway.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I truly thought I had just booked myself into a real dump when I got this hotel for $75 on priceline. I was pleasantly surprised. It is located right downtown and very easy to find. The building is gorgeous...an old mall that is according to the staff...the first mall ever built. Not sure if that is verifiable, but it is indeed a gorgeous, historic building. There is valet parking only as I assume they must put you into a parking garage. At $11 per night, I could not really complain about this as I got such a great deal on the hotel and hey...it is a downtown hotel and that is to be expected and quite common for any downtown hotel, no matter the town.

The staff was very friendly and professional. The hotel was very clean. And there was the added bonus of fireworks the night we stayed as there was a wedding being celebrated in the rotunda of the mall that night. That being said, the only downside I really saw to this hotel was the fact that the elevator for the 'cheap seat' rooms is clear across the mall at the opposite entry, which is on the opposite end of the hotel from check-in. On the other hand, it was a great excuse to explore the old mall and admire the gorgeous brass artwork during the stroll.

Hands-down, one of the best deals I bagged on-line this year.

Room Tip: You can find cheap and very good eats on the lower level of the mall during normal hours. The break...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade? Share your experiences!