“Imagine yourself on the streets of New Orleans, only encompassed by a roof of glass.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade

Ranked #22 of 34 Hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Commerce Twp, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

The Hyatt Hotel in Cleveland was just a two minute walk from my New York style loft. However, I tend to make junkets to hotels and this is one have stayed at on more than 4 occasions.

The arcade is an old structure, with restaurants, hair salons, spas (I highly recommend taking spa treatments).

I have only stayed on the outskirts of the hotel, which has the feel of New Orleans. I only stayed on an inner room once. It was clean and comfortable, but lacked the charm and uniqueness of the outer rooms.

The outer rooms are romantic. Some have a bedroom and a living room. They have the large base boards, high ceilings and opaque glass above the heavy wood door, illuminated by an antique looking light fixture.

This is the hotel where the athletes stay. It is in the heart of the basketball and baseball stadiums, and a football stadium in another vicinity. I was in the lobby once having some coffee, and started up a conversation with another woman; turns out she was the mother of the coach of a basketball team.

The restaurant is on the higher price side, but well worth it - order the pancakes as they are to die for. And their coffee is sublime.

It is surrounded by museums and historic buildings. A Concierge is available, as well as a Valet and parking for your comfort. So it is a good place to take the kids.

I lived in the heart of Cleveland, and it is an eclectic city of people from all walks of life. You will see homeless people; I never felt unsafe, even when it was night, as the city is bustling. My recommendation is not to ignore people, but to treat them as you would want to be treated; with dignity and respect.

Do not open your purse or wallet; but have a few one dollar bills in your pockets to give to those who don't have. Then walk to the House of Blues and read their views on the walls. Also, go there for the music.

There is a comedy club across from the House of Blues - I lived on 4th and Prospect. And next to the Blues is an upscale restaurant (ask you Concierge for reservations), and an Irish pub. Just explore and watch the fireworks at night from the Quicken Stadium.

There is a good shoe shine stand, and I would see him when I could; he had the low down on what was happening.

It is a block away from the Ritz Carlton, which has a small mall for shopping and the house of blues.

And if you are lucky enough, there will be a concert on the street and you will love the music along with art and dancing and life.

Room Tip: Just ask if it is your 1st stay.
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Geneva New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

Jane and I have just returned from Cleveland in Ohio where we stayed at the Hyatt Regency Hotel. We have been loyal guests of the Hyatt since when I first worked as a chef for the Hyatt International group back in the late 70's. It is really sad that I have to blog today how really run down the service and quality of the Cleveland Hyatt Regency hotel is. When we first went to our room, the room had not been cleaned properly. For example, what I found when I lifted up the seat of the toilet to have a pee was just Gross!

OK, to be fair to the management of the hotel, after I telephoned the housekeeping department, they sent a supervisor immediately. The toilet was flushed and cleaned properly and they did tidy the room up for us. As an apology they gave us a bottle of Californian Chardonnay which was very nice of them. But then we found that the room did not have the usual mini bar or even a filter coffee maker which is always standard in all of the Hyatt Regency hotels that I have ever stayed at. Sure, there were two bottles of Aquafine bottled water on the dresser each with a $4 price tag....Big Ouch and no, I did not purchase one at $4 per bottle. Neither did I pay the whopping $9.95 per day plus taxes for the WI-FI service which let's face it, is offered as complimentary by an increasing number of Hotels these days and which in any event, you can find free connection almost anywhere when out an about. Here at Cobtree all of our houses have complimentary high speed internet via WI-FI and complimentary able TV with over 900 channels to choose from unlike the Hyatt who only offered just a few basic channels to watch.

On check out I did ask about the mini bar and the filter coffee maker and was informed that they were available only on request. How refreshing to learn this only after we were checking out!

And then, there was the saga of the electronic room keys. Twice we had problems of going all the way to the room only to find that the electronic room key no longer operated the locks and this entailed both two elevator rides and a very long walk to get to the lobby each time. As far as we could determine, There was no phone to call on from the corridor on the floor we stayed in so up and down we went.......

We did subsequently hear the rumor from one of the hotel staff that the Hyatt Group were trying to sell the hotel and that they no longer employed full time cleaners on their payroll but employed the services of temporary cleaners from an agency. This meant that cleaners came and went constantly and really did not care too much about the job that they were employed to do. In my experience, at best temporary agency only ever do a reasonable job and never a good job albeit in my previous managerial role as a catering manager in London, once in a while somebody would surprise me and then I would employ them full time myself!

Needless to say, we would not recommend anybody staying at the Hyatt Regency Hotel during a visit to Cleveland but rather advise to give the establishment a wide berth.

Room Tip: Try the Marriott or another Hotel!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Whiting, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency on May 12th 2011. My fiancee wanted to stay downtown and we scored a HUGE deal at the Hyatt by bidding on priceline, fyi. We went out for a "Iron Chef Michael Symon Food Experience" and had a blast.

We found it easy to find the Hyatt and ended up having our car put in valet (first time i've ever done that), which I would recommend instead of self parking (that would have been a pain). It would have cost $21 for self parking and it cost $23 for valet and a tip; the guys are very trustworthy and polite.

Check in was a breeze and when we got into the foyer area, we were amazed to see the intricate details of the hotel. It is in a historic part of downtown and in the middle of the hotel are shops, restaurants and sitting areas, which we thought was very cool. They even let u walk around after all the shops are closed. When we got up to our room, we walked around the foyer part again and it reminded us of an old school cruise ship, again we were impressed.

I've read some of the other reviews with people complaining about the furniture n decor in the rooms, but really, are u going to stay in your room when your downtown? I will say that the chairs and drapes were a little outdated, but I think it adds to the vintage feel. The rooms were exceptionally clean and our bed was SOOOO comfy!

The only downside we could think of was the tv (my fiancee's gripe), it was an old tube television, not a flatscreen and no HD...yes he is a bit spoiled with his electronics, but who isn't? :)

Also, there is not wifi in the rooms, u have to pay $10 extra a day for that, we didn't b/c we found a signal from the Cleveland Public Library.

Would recommend this for anyone looking for a comfortable room in the heart of downtown that isn't too particular w/h all the extra details.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

nice adaptive reuse of old structure however event in central atrium was very loud with substantial noise bleeding into room. management indifferent entirely to problem. i would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Newton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

Stayed there to visit Case Western Reserve with my daughter. The location was great...close to restaurants and public transportation. Good price. Only bad thing...no coffee in the room. Otherwise, a wonderful stay for the price.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Indiana, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

We had a marvelous stay at the Hyatt Arcade this past week over spring break. The weather was lousy, but the hotel was great. Upon arrival we were greeted by the Bell-staff and Valet parking attendant. Both were very helpful, friendly and attentive despite the fact that the car was a stinking mess after one of the kids vomited a block from our destination. I asked the desk clerk for a room overlooking the atrium as I checked in, and she was friendly and efficient as she switched things around and got us into a spacious, two double bed room with a marvelous view into the interior courtyard of the Arcade. The arcade area itself is very beautiful; 4 stories high with an arched glass ceiling, marble walls and floors, brass railings, lamp posts, and accents, leather furniture, etc. There were not as many stores there as I expected, but it was still a nice place to linger with plenty of food there and nearby to suit our hungry teens. The Arcade closes by 5 each evening (although hotel guests still have access to the public areas), so there was no problem with noise or security. All the people working at this hotel were very thoughtful and friendly; they seemed really committed to making sure we had everything we could want at every moment. Best staff of anywhere we have been, with the exception of Pascal in Prague who was unbeatable.
It would have been annoying to pay the $22 nightly for valet parking, $10 per computer for day for WiFi and the other nickle and diming, if we hadn't gotten the room so cheaply through Hotwire. As it was, it was a great deal even with these add-ons and I just loved the luxury of looking out into the atrium of the shopping area from the full wall of windows in our room. The beds were comfy, everything was clean, the room was quiet, the staff was extraordinary, and the place was surrounded by great restarants and was easy walking distance to many of the big Cleveland sites. A GREAT stay!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for business and have to say the stay was better than I thought it might be. I thought it might be a loud disturbing hotel based on its sheer size. Thankfully I was wrong. Part of that had to be because they placed me on a business floor instead of a lower floor that would face the open arcade center where noise echos. I did find it amusing that the room had probably the highest ceilings I've seen in a hotel room. The only sort of flaw with the room is that they have old TVs instead of newer flat screens. Not a big deal but would make the room feel a little newer. The front desk people were very friendly. The restaurant staff was nice as well. A word of caution. If you plan on having breakfast at their restaurant over the weekend, plan on getting there on the earlier side. I got there at a prime time and it seemed they only had one person taking orders and running the floor. I was upset about it but it wasn't the waitstaffs fault. It was the fault of the restaurant for not hiring more people for the weekend. Since I was there for work, I wish room service ran later than it does.
The hotel for being in downtown Cleveland is surrounded by outside eating options. It might be the only hotel in the city with so many options in walking distance which is primarily why I picked this property. I would stay at this property in the future when I return to Cleveland for work.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade? Share your experiences!