“First time in Cleveland” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Morehead, Kentucky
“First time in Cleveland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

My son was getting married in Cleveland and the Marriott at Key Center was the hub of activities so we reserved 7 rooms for family and friends. The reception was to also take place in the Key Club at the Center. So off we trooped to the Marriott at Key Center.

Well I have got to say the hotel is very well located and everyone was so nice and eager to make sure your needs were attended to. The rooms were nice but nothing fancy. Comfortable is the word maybe I am looking for. The hotel was fully booked for that weekend as the Browns and Cavalier's were also playing at home. So if nerves could be frayed this was the weekend for it to happen. But everything went well and the stay was great.

I do have to say downtown Cleveland is really nice. I know that Cleveland is not perfect but I really enjoyed our stay in the city. Lots of green space! And if you like gambling the Horseshoe Casino is about 4 minutes from the Marriott's door. One thought on hotel parking...we did valet parking but if you want to self park it is very easy as both use the same space basically beneath the hotel. So you don't have to hike in if you self park. Downtown Cleveland is on the move with lots of hotels and new ones being built as I type. If you are looking at coming to Cleveland at least give the Marriott at Key Center some thought.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Northern NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

The three of us stayed here for Parent's Weekend. The room had a musky oder when we walked in which bothered my wife more than me. The worst however were the beds. They looked good, but were extremely uncomfortable to sleep in. The mattresses were soft and had a mattress topper under the sheets. The beds felt and slept lumpy. The pillows, one large and one small, felt like foam. Frankly, I was surprised how unconfortable the beds were.

The rooms were smallish and note that double beds, not queens, are used in rooms with two beds. The hotel disclosed this, but still a property of this quality should have rooms large enough and be equiped with two queens.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I would note the young lady staffing the gift shop, where Starbucks coffee is available, was particularly very nice. The valet service was very fast and we received a lot of help with directions.

The common areas, unlike the rooms, were very nice and spacious.

So, in summary I wanted to rate this property higher, but the poor night sleeps I had prevented me from doing so.

Room Tip: Get a king size bed.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed here 2 nights for business. Check in was immediate and was give a corner king room on the 16th floor with a great view. The room had 6 large windows on 2 walls, the king bed was not on a wall backing another room so it was very quiet! Reds and golds are the colors in the room, large tv, plenty of hangers in the closet, a safe, a refrigerator that I got 2 large bottles of Evian in the downstairs sundries shop for $7 total, a desk, chair with ottoman, the bathroom was a sink and make up area separated from the bath/shower/ toilet area. Easy set thermostat and I asked for extra towels when I made the reservation and they were in the room when I checked in but they weren't replenished by housekeeping the 2nd day. I tipped the maid $5 with a note asking for my sheets to be changed (there is a card stating they do this every 3 days unless otherwise noted) but she did not change my sheets. I ordered breakfast one morning to the room via the breakfast menu card put in the room, I hung it on my door by midnight, asked for delivery between 7-7:15am. The breakfast came at 7:20, not a big deal but was shocked when the woman delivered it, complained the entire time she was in my room...she was the only worker delivering breakfast and the hotel was at 100% and too many conventions going on, and she should have never came to work today and...on and on, instead of just appoligizing, unprofessional. The other day I ate in the restaurant, $14 and a very good buffet. The lobby is pretty. The valet/taxi guys were helpful as I used both services serval times during the stay. The bar was fun and had happy hour specials on apps and drinks.
If you are going to a convention it's worth staying here, it's right across the street and a fine hotel. I paid $199 plus tax and I'd say it was fine but if the price was higher, I would have stayed at the Ritz.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Wickliffe, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This was our Anniversary weekend and after staying at a very poor hotel on the east side, we decided to cancel the rest of our reservations for the weekend with the other hotel and to come to Marriott. We were very pleased with everything, from the customer service to the awesome two sided view of the city we had. The only complaint we had was that the furnace filter was full of dust but other than that our stay was fantastic and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2013
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I stayed at the Cleveland Marriott at Key Center for a few nights. The staff was very courteous, the public areas in the hotel were very good, and the service in the concierge lounge was outstanding. That being said, the room I was assigned was unfortunately quite worn out, especially the carpet and the matress. Both were in desperate need of being replaced. With the price being a bit on the high side and the deficiencies mentioned, I am only giving this hotel an average rating.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed here for one night prior to going to a wedding in Mentor, Ohio. I checked in early in the afternoon and used the new "e-check in service" available on Iphones and other portable e-devices upon landing in Cleveland's Airport. After picking up the rental car and completing the short 30 minute (or so) drive to the hotel, the parking attendants greeted me warmly and the bell hops helped collect my bags. As soon as I approached the front desk, the attendants knew who I was immediately, greeted me by name, and had my key all ready for me for my room on the 20th (Concierge Level) floor. I was very happily surprised.

I was taken up to the 20th floor where my room was on a corner of the hotel. I had a very nice view of the historic downtown district and court house and on the other side, I had a wonderful view of the lake and the marina. The room was laid out very nicely with a work area, a large king sized bed, and a bathroom and large closet off to the one side. The in room amenities, the large screen television, and the items I requested (extra towels and pillows) were all placed in the room prior to my arrival.

That evening there were complimentary snacks prior to dinner in the Concierge Lounge. The lady who worked in the lounge in the evenings was a real HOOT!! (HOOT = a midwestern word for someone who is a real character; friendly; involved; nice; fun!). The service was great. It is also a free pour bar where they don't stand over you and make it seem like that you are stealing their precious liquor and it is a 'sign the card' honor system. That is a nice way to treat guests in the Concierge Lounge. After dinner hour, they have the complimentary desserts and the honor bar is still there.

In the mornings there is a nice array of breakfast foods including scrambled eggs or sausage and some oatmeal and other breakfast pastries and items that can more than make a good meal to start your day.

All in all a stay on the Concierge Floor is well worth it.

I did not particularly like the menu in the restaurant downstairs for lunch. It just did not seem to have a good variety of foods, but that might just be my particular tastes.

However, all in all this is a great Marriott to stay at. I wish I had brought my swimming trunks to try out the 4th floor indoor pool. But I didn't so I did not get a chance to check that out.

My only complaint was that there was a good degree of noise from room to room through the walls. It eventually died down but with the triangle arrangement of the corner rooms (3 rooms right next to each other on the corners) this may have made the noise of doors opening and closing worse.

Room Tip: Ask for the Concierge Floor! Definitely visit the lounge on the 20th Floor (Concierge Guests only...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Though I didn't personally stay at the property, I had a friend staying at the hotel for a weekend and I wanted to send an amenity for his bday. I was put in touch with Richard Miller, the Concierge at the Marriott Downtown at Key Center Hotel. Richard could not have been more helpful and prompt throughout the entire amenity ordering process. He took ownership of my request and at one point even emailed me back when he was at home to ensure that I received all the information I needed. He also kept me updated and let me know once the card was written and ready for delivery. It's staff members like Richard who truly care and take pride in their work that continue to make Marriott shine! Thank you, Richard!

PS - my friend reported the room to be a "great location, comfortable room and would certainly return"

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Cleveland Marriott Downtown at Key Center? Share your experiences!