“A Crisp, Clean, The-Way-It-Should-Be Business Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay for Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
Scottsdale, Arizona
“A Crisp, Clean, The-Way-It-Should-Be Business Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I was apprehensive, based on admittedly dated reviews from friends, about the Marriott Airport. But whenever they renovated this property, they made it a great place to stay whether you are working in the area or have a small conference.

The whole hotel just screams business comfort and convenience. There are convenient tables to work on your laptop in the lobby. The bar has similar plug-in tables so you can work or browse while you eat. The wi-fi was fabulous throughout the hotel, even deep inside conference rooms on the first floor. And you and I both know that there are lots of more expensive hotels where that isn't true!

While there are a number of food options in the area, the hotel’s AMP 150 has a great eclectic menu of much more than the usual hotel fare. The bar is fun, with a great energy, but not so loud that talking is a challenge.

My room was typically sized and appointed for a hotel of this caliber, but was spotless. I can’t speak for the side of the hotel facing the highway, but my room, facing into the open garden area in the middle, was beautifully quiet.

The bathroom was spotless too – and bright. I hate dark showers, and their bathrooms are well lit – including the shower. Water pressure and temp were excellent. Shower head height – my pet peeve - was good for a six-footer.

The shuttle to the airport is easy and takes only 10 minutes. If you get Big Al as your driver, he’s a great guy and really takes care of everyone. If you are driving, they seem to have ample free parking. Of course, the hotel is right off the highway, so fast dash off to your meeting should be pretty easy.

The workout room is well-appointed, with a reasonable assortment of free weights, a good pull-down, lat, row machine in the corner, and several steppers/elipticals/treadmills. The indoor pool is large for a hotel of this size, and featured a section for laps. I didn’t bring a suit, so can’t guide you on temperature. But, I did run into a guy headed downstairs for his second turn in the Jacuzzi, which he said was very good.

If you need to impress a client (or a girl), Cleveland’s venerable Pier W is just a couple miles due north of the hotel. This legendary seafood restaurant has been going since sometime in the 60s, and still delivers fabulous food and a stunning view (on a clear night) of the Cleveland skyline. We had a fantastic, and not overly expensive, dinner on election night.

I spent two days in the hotel for a conference, and Marriott can be really proud of this property. While still clearly a mid-level hotel, it is designed for maximum comfort, convenience and enjoyment by seen-it-all business travelers. I had a terrific experience. You should too.

Room Tip: Get a room facing into the central garden for peace and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

386 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Saginaw, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

All the staff was friendly from the front desk to the housekeeping team. Always a smile and a greeting. We were on the first floor and had no issues with other room noises. Short waits for the shuttle to the expo center and once again, friendly drivers. Will stay here again next time in the area.

Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I book travel for a living, and this is a very nice Marriott property. I usually always request a higher floor due to not having to hear "thumping" from up above, that is not the case with this property. Next time I would request a closer, quiet room to the lobby. There was a large wedding going on and you would have never known. The rooms are nice, but very much on the smaller side, so if you have a party of 4, and want to share a 2 double bed room, it's going to be VERY tight. The front desk was more than helpful with getting us a taxi to our benefit. Lovely lobby and lounge. Breakfast is a buffet and if you don't have it included in your room cost upon making your reservation, it is approx $13 per adult. We will stay again when in the area!

Room Tip: Ask for a courtside room, not facing the highway.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

By all outward appearances, this Marriott is rather mundane. Inside however it is an entirely different story. The entire property is clean and updated. The rooms are beautifully appointed, comfortable and very quiet. The front desk staff were welcoming and friendly, always a huge plus in my book. In fact, all of the hotel staff that I encountered during my stay were smiling and helpful. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Now for the hotel restaurant, AMP 150. I had heard the food here was good and I have to say, it wasn't good... it was GREAT. Fresh, interesting, flavorful and locally sourced menu. Everything that I ordered was top notch and plentiful. My only complaint, and this really was bad enough to make mention here, was the hostess and my waitress. Here goes nothing:

There were three tables of diners seated when I arrived as it was on the early side. I was dining alone and the hostess began to sit me immediately next to a gentleman, also alone, who was obviously in an in depth phone discussion. My table was literally less than 12 inches from his, actually it was the other half of a four top pulled apart. I asked if I could possibly sit somewhere else so as not to disturb, and she rolled her eyes! She did, she rolled her eyes, put her hand on her hip then shouted to another woman across the restaurant, "She wants to move somewhere else!" All three seated parties actually looked up from their dinners it was so loud. The woman she shouted to, who ended up being my waitress, walked over and took the menu out of the hostesses hand and said verbatim, "Well, where do you want to sit then if you don't like it here?" I said it wasn't that I didn't like it, I simply didn't want to disturb the man's conversation and the place was all but empty.

After seating me elsewhere, she truly seemed put out by not only me, but also her other tables. She never made eye contact once and acted hurried and irritated. She only had two other tables besides me so it wasn't difficult to juggle us at that point. Between she and the hostess, they essentially made what would have been a really lovely evening pretty uncomfortable. Several other waitresses that I observed seemed friendly and attentive so I don't believe that my experience reflects on all, but why me? There are no other restaurants nearby and hurricane Sandy was making her rainy windy appearance outside so this was my best shot at a nice dinner.

So, great food and crappy hostess/waitress. Would I go back? Absolutely. The food is that good. But please management, get a grip on your surly staff. It really reflects poorly.

Room Tip: My room was in the tower area and was great. I can't recommend anything else other than I was h...
Belmar, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

There are two sides to this hotel. It is convenient, spacious, well appointed and very clean
Unfortunately the corridors and the rooms have a background odor of old smoke even I. The nonsmoking rooms. It is very unpleasant. The odor is absent on the ground floor. Registration was not warm or frIendly. The man acted like hews doing us a favor. I specifically asked about wifi and was told it was told there was a $10 per d at fee. Another guest later told me that there was free wifi in the lobby and restaurant. I'll find a note hotel for my next trip to Cleveland.

Room Tip: Go smell it first.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

The outside is kinda interesting looking. The inside is awesome. We were given a tower room. It was updated and beautiful. Would stay again and again! Service was awesome! Everyone was helpful and friendly. Had a drink at the bar and the bartender was great!

Room Tip: Tower rooms
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Overall, the hotel is clean, updated, and service is excellent. The only complaint is that the location is kind of "shady." It seemed like we were driving through a bad part of town and I thought "I hope we get out of here soon" and then you run up on the hotel. The manager actually told some colleagues of mine not to leave after dark without a gun. That being said, I still felt very safe in the hotel and enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Marriott Cleveland Airport? Share your experiences!