“Pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of J. Palen House Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cleveland
J. Palen House Bed & Breakfast
2708 Bridge Ave., Cleveland, OH 44113   |
Ranked #3 of 13 Cleveland B&B and Inns
Charleston, South Carolina
“Pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We were in Cleveland for a long visit at the Cleveland clinic. We didn't want to stay in a hotel for such a long time and found the J Palen house. It was such a surprise to find this charming cottage in a terrific part of Cleveland! We had everything we needed to make ourselves at home and a neighborhood that filled every need we could think of. A visit to the Westside Market is a must.
Diane was very helpful when I had needs or concerns and was so considerate during my husbands surgery and recovery.
My only negative was the floors were incredibly cold and could benefit from some rugs, but once things warmed up with the gas wood stove we were pretty comfortable. If another trip to Cleveland is in our future we will defiantly choose the J Palen house again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

153 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Mansfield, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We came up to Cleveland to celebrate our anniversary and the J. Palen House made us feel like we were part of a family! To begin with, the bed was the most decadent thing I have ever slept in... best night's sleep in a long time! We loved that the location was so close to the Westside Market and were able to just walk over for meals and shopping quite easily. The breakfast we were served was wonderful; I had to request a gluten free option and my meal was just as amazing and plentiful as everyone else's. I didn't feel that I was a burden in any way, even though I was the only one with that plate. We look forward to our next visit!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

While the holidays can be a rough time for the best of families and friends, the accommodations at JPH made our Christmas trip enjoyable and stress-free. We stayed in the "Roost" which was a former blacksmith barn. The private space, large bedroom loft, kitchen and convenient parking made the trip enjoyable and totally stress free. We know the Ohio City neighborhood very well and this location was as good as it gets. Walkable to many great restaurants, West Side Market, grocery store and public transportation. The decor was a little kitschy and cluttered for our taste but that's part of the experience, I guess. We were thrilled that we were NOT coerced into forced breakfasts with other Inn guests. Loved the privacy. Would absolutely stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Muskego, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our 3 night stay at the Cottage. Nice amenities like movies, games, and WiFi, plus evening treats! The beds were quite comfortable and a home-cooked breakfast to look forward to in the morning. Very convenient to some great food at local restaurants!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Cherry Hills Village, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I had to stay in Cleveland for a business trip in late September. I selected the J Palen house because it was not a chain, it was highly rated here on tripadvisor and it was close to the restaurant where my client and I had dinner. I stayed in "The Roost" which was an upstairs / downstairs apartment, with the bed and bath upstairs and the kitchen / sitting room downstairs. Diane was kind enough to make me quiche, fresh fruit and afford me orange juice, milk and cereal. It was almost as if I were staying at my sister's house, except my sister wasn't there! I travel a lot and this was a little Shangri-La. There is a little leafy courtyard in the back where one can enjoy the late summer evening. A wonderful place - if I had arrived earlier I might have been able to enjoy the area's attractions. Can't imagine a better place to stay, and very reasonable!! A wonderful place and outstanding value.

Room Tip: The Roost is a fine place and close to the backyard patio!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the upstairs efficiency in October 2013 for 3 nights.
Pro's:
-Great location in a charming historical neighborhood within walking distance to multiple restaurants and an easy drive to any place we wanted to go.
-Attractively and comfortably furnished, good sized efficiency with kitchenette.
-Spotlessly clean accommodations.

Con's:
-Upon arrival at the airport, I called Diane to ask about the check-in procedure, as we were arriving after 5pm. Although I left a message, she called me back promptly and responded to my question with something like, "I emailed that to you. I know you received that information". I was surprised at her response, which seemed a bit defensive and out of place since I was not perturbed at all by having to phone her (and it was about 6pm). It is entirely possible that she did send the information and I missed her email. It shouldn't be a big deal for either of us.
-The next morning at breakfast, which was ONLY available at one time-no flexibility-Diane asked me about my dietary restrictions. I have many and am satisfied with most anything the host whips up-(I'm thinking oatmeal, hash browns, corned beef hash-would all work to name a few). She served my husband what she had prepared for her other guests and then told me "I don't know what I can feed you" and started listing my dietary restrictions in front of other guests. Again, I was caught off guard because I had specifically told her about my diet and she had enthusiastically assured me that this would not be a problem. In the end she served fruit and some sausage-OK with me, but why the assurances before the reservation is made that a special diet isn't a problem, only to embarrass me in front of other guests?
-One morning as we were getting ready to walk over to breakfast, again at the only time she would serve it, Diane called. She asked if we had power, because a big thunderstorm came through the area the night before and she was without power. She noted that her other two "regular" guests had simply left for work without breakfast and she "wasn't sure what I can fix over here in the dark". Hmmmm..breakfast was at nine and it was bright outside. She had a gas stove which worked great for scrambled eggs, sausage and fruit. I had requested egg whites for my husband the night before and she simply ignored my request at that time and again the next morning. Why was this so difficult?
-I advised Diane that we would be catching an early flight and wondered if she could send over something for breakfast the night before. After some procrastination and asking "Are you just going to get something at the airport?", she did send over a good breakfast later that day.
-The stairs (one flight) up to the apartment we rented were steep and slanted. Both my husband and myself are active individuals, unimpaired in our walking, etc...I wouldn't want to use them in the ice and snow!

Summary:
I do not understand why any conflict noted above happened. Diane has a great product in a fantastic area-just don't ask for any special requests and check your email frequently!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My partner and I had a wonderful experience staying at the J. Palen House and we are already looking forward to a return visit! I highly recommend this exceptional B&B. Our room was beautifully appointed and comfortable, with both the charm of its 19th Century origins as well as all the amenities one hopes to find in modern accommodations. A picture is worth 1000 words – and the expectations set by their website are perfectly realized when you arrive.

The location is perfect - within a couple blocks of all the attractions of the area, including the West Side Market, Great Lakes Brewery and many other shops and restaurants.

Finally, we had wonderful hosts. Our acquaintance began with a cheerful and welcoming greeting from Diane, followed by a quick but thorough tour of our accommodations, and lots of great information about the area - both its history and current attractions. Breakfast was bountiful and delicious, all homemade with fresh and local ingredients, in a wonderfully elegant and relaxed atmosphere, encouraging warm conversation with our mutual guests as well as Diane. It is obvious that Diane and Jeff love what they do - and they do a terrific job! Don't miss this one!!

J Rochel & A Spaulding

Room Tip: The website is very thorough - and accurate - in its depictions of the roooms
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to J. Palen House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!