“Don't ask for special requests!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of J. Palen House Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cleveland
J. Palen House Bed & Breakfast
Save Saved
You added J. Palen House Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
2708 Bridge Ave., Cleveland, OH 44113   |
Ranked #3 of 13 Cleveland B&B and Inns
California
“Don't ask for special requests!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the upstairs efficiency in October 2013 for 3 nights.
Pro's:
-Great location in a charming historical neighborhood within walking distance to multiple restaurants and an easy drive to any place we wanted to go.
-Attractively and comfortably furnished, good sized efficiency with kitchenette.
-Spotlessly clean accommodations.

Con's:
-Upon arrival at the airport, I called Diane to ask about the check-in procedure, as we were arriving after 5pm. Although I left a message, she called me back promptly and responded to my question with something like, "I emailed that to you. I know you received that information". I was surprised at her response, which seemed a bit defensive and out of place since I was not perturbed at all by having to phone her (and it was about 6pm). It is entirely possible that she did send the information and I missed her email. It shouldn't be a big deal for either of us.
-The next morning at breakfast, which was ONLY available at one time-no flexibility-Diane asked me about my dietary restrictions. I have many and am satisfied with most anything the host whips up-(I'm thinking oatmeal, hash browns, corned beef hash-would all work to name a few). She served my husband what she had prepared for her other guests and then told me "I don't know what I can feed you" and started listing my dietary restrictions in front of other guests. Again, I was caught off guard because I had specifically told her about my diet and she had enthusiastically assured me that this would not be a problem. In the end she served fruit and some sausage-OK with me, but why the assurances before the reservation is made that a special diet isn't a problem, only to embarrass me in front of other guests?
-One morning as we were getting ready to walk over to breakfast, again at the only time she would serve it, Diane called. She asked if we had power, because a big thunderstorm came through the area the night before and she was without power. She noted that her other two "regular" guests had simply left for work without breakfast and she "wasn't sure what I can fix over here in the dark". Hmmmm..breakfast was at nine and it was bright outside. She had a gas stove which worked great for scrambled eggs, sausage and fruit. I had requested egg whites for my husband the night before and she simply ignored my request at that time and again the next morning. Why was this so difficult?
-I advised Diane that we would be catching an early flight and wondered if she could send over something for breakfast the night before. After some procrastination and asking "Are you just going to get something at the airport?", she did send over a good breakfast later that day.
-The stairs (one flight) up to the apartment we rented were steep and slanted. Both my husband and myself are active individuals, unimpaired in our walking, etc...I wouldn't want to use them in the ice and snow!

Summary:
I do not understand why any conflict noted above happened. Diane has a great product in a fantastic area-just don't ask for any special requests and check your email frequently!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

155 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My partner and I had a wonderful experience staying at the J. Palen House and we are already looking forward to a return visit! I highly recommend this exceptional B&B. Our room was beautifully appointed and comfortable, with both the charm of its 19th Century origins as well as all the amenities one hopes to find in modern accommodations. A picture is worth 1000 words – and the expectations set by their website are perfectly realized when you arrive.

The location is perfect - within a couple blocks of all the attractions of the area, including the West Side Market, Great Lakes Brewery and many other shops and restaurants.

Finally, we had wonderful hosts. Our acquaintance began with a cheerful and welcoming greeting from Diane, followed by a quick but thorough tour of our accommodations, and lots of great information about the area - both its history and current attractions. Breakfast was bountiful and delicious, all homemade with fresh and local ingredients, in a wonderfully elegant and relaxed atmosphere, encouraging warm conversation with our mutual guests as well as Diane. It is obvious that Diane and Jeff love what they do - and they do a terrific job! Don't miss this one!!

J Rochel & A Spaulding

Room Tip: The website is very thorough - and accurate - in its depictions of the roooms
Oahu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here march 2013 with my sister and adult nephew. Was perfect location. Since we booked into the Kabat house we were able to invite family over to visit as we had our own little house.
We never did meet the inn keepers nor go to the main house.
Everything we needed was right there.
Will definetly stay there again.

Room Tip: Wind chimes kept me awake, but was no biggie. We stayed at the self contained Kabot house. Was lovel...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Morris Plains, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My partner, myself and my best friend recently stayed two nights in the "Cottage" of the J. Palen House on a family visit out West. The location in Ohio City was great in relation to our main purpose for the Cleveland stay, i.e. a visit to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The two bedroom cottage was beautifully appointed and well maintained. The neighborhood was charming with the exception of a few fixer uppers that will hopefully be turned around some day soon. Location was great for driving to points of interest including two really fun and friendly gay bars within a short drive. Diane was a top-notch Host, full of recommendations and area insight. The breakfast each day was yummy - only complaint is I wished for seconds (her baked goods are to die for!). We usually like to stay in and support gay-owned establishments, but since we were unable to book where I had first researched, I can unequivocally say I am thoroughly pleased with our choice of the J. Palen House; Straight, Gay or otherwise clueless, you won't be disappointed in your stay here!

Room Tip: If you are looking for "extra privacy" and spaciousness, consider booking the Cottage or t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

No worries here - excellent convenience and service. As always, we met interesting people at breakfast - so much better than a commercial hotel. Stay here, by all means. Fairly close to interesting restaurants - we liked Lolita's, but might not go there next simply because we found it a little hard to converse. What the reviewers call "energetic."

Chester, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We booked a room in J Palen House because we couldn't get into the hotel we wanted. As it turned out, this was a good choice for us, and we enjoyed our stay. This bed and breakfast is located in Ohio City, a bustling urban neighborhood south of downtown Cleveland. Parking is on the street adjacent to the B & B, and it's free, but parking spaces fill up as the day goes on, so we parked the car and walked to restaurants in the neighborhood or found other transportation to more distant locations like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. We stayed in the Webster Room, with a comfortable king-size bed and a walk-out balcony, which we didn't use because it had no view. Others, however, may enjoy sitting out there to read or relax. The communal breakfasts, served promptly at 9 a.m., were delicious and filling and usually consisted of quiche, fruit and sometimes turkey sausage, but the innkeeper will accommodate people with food allergies and other needs. The neighborhood has a surprisingly large choice of restaurants, starting with Light Bistro right across the street, with a tasty selection of traditional and American tapas. We also enjoyed Flying Fig, a small farm-to-table restaurant, and Bar Cento, which offers a nice selection of individual pizzas with fresh ingredients. The innkeeper and staff were friendly and helpful, and we were very comfortable throughout our stay. If we return to Cleveland, we'll definitely stay at J Palen House again.

Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Two days before our planned stay on a Tuesday night, my husband, my toddler, and I all came down with the stomach flu. I emailed the innkeeper and was informed that I would lose my deposit (the full cost of a night's stay) unless I rescheduled within 60 days.
Because I was not able to stay another weeknight in Cleveland within that time frame, I called to ask about availability for Saturday nights. The innkeeper informed me that weekend stays require 2 nights, which is not possible for us right now.
As the innkeeper very unsympathetically explained on the phone, I understand that losing my deposit is consistent with their policy. While providing some flexibility may cause them to lose revenue in the short term, sticking to their strict policy is terrible customer service and not competitive in the industry. It’s a short-sighted decision that will cost them this customer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Darlene M, Owner at J. Palen House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Your two day advance cancellation fell within our cancellation policy. In the hotel industry Tuesday is the busiest night of the business week and the Inn was booked to capactiy. We turned down guests for rooms prior to your cancellation. As is our policy, if we are able to resell your room, you will only be responsible for the administration fee. We are aware that plans change and as a courtesy for your medical emergency we offered you the ability to rebook your room within 60 days of your original arrival date. As an industry policy, this is a generous and customer friendly consideration. We state our cancellation policy at the time of booking and encourage guests to consider travel insurance to cover just such events.

Been to J. Palen House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!