“Great Old Style German Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European, German
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Dinner
NJ
“Great Old Style German Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Great selection of schnitzels as well as other German specialties fill the menu in a very reasonably priced German restaurant in the suburbs of Cleveland. In addition to delighful schnitzel our group enjoyed the Baked Walleye and such side dishes as cabbage and noodles, home fries, spatzel, red cabbage, and German potato salad. Wonderful Warsteiner beer on tap. Worth the trip!!

Visited August 2013

Franklin, Tennessee
“Best Pierogi in Cleveland area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Coming from Tennessee we were looking for some regional foods that we only get in Cleveland. This was our second visit to Das Schnitzel Haus. The food is fabulous. Service is good. I highly recommend the sauerbraten and the pierogis. Its worth the drive out to Parma.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cleveland
“Sehr Gute Deutsch Restaurant!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Das Schnitzel Haus is a wonderful independent-owned German restaurant in Parma, OH. We are always greeted and seated promptly by their very nice wait-staff. There is no skimping on their entrees. The portions are very large as evidenced by most people taking some home which makes for a delicious lunch the next day. The Pork and Veal Schnitzels come with two large crisp pieces - enough to share. My son always orders the Jager Schnitzel which comes with a smothering of mushrooms in a delicious gravy that allows every mouthful to include several pieces of mushrooms. If you want a smaller dinner portion - I recommend you order the Schnitzel Sandwich off the bun - you will get half the dinner portion plus kraut and soup or potato. I have also enjoyed the Chicken Paprikash and the Stuffed Cabbage. Be sure to check out the specials. I can't wait to go again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Des Moines, Iowa
“Great German food in a quaint atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Being of partially German descent and having a dearth of authentic German restaurants back home, I was pretty excited when my coworker came upon Das Schnitzel Haus as a dinner option. This looked like a real, neighborhood place, far from the chain-restaurant land surrounding our hotel. The restaurant had a cute, old world feel, and the food was delicious! This was hearty, wholesome German food (and drink) that should not be missed when in Cleveland.

You definitely get the German vibe when you pull up to the chalet-looking building, complete with sizable beer garden in the front. Inside, the atmosphere is warm and inviting, with booths, tables and a long wooden bar with several taps. Naturally, I had to try one of the German brews with my meal and enjoyed the new (to me) Konig Ludwig Weissbier. It came in a tall glass and was a great pairing with the food that I ordered...

Which was fantastic! We started with potato pierogies (a nod to the other half of my ancestry, Polish) which were pan fried in butter to crisp up the outside while keeping the inside soft and smooth. These were just about perfect, and served with a cup of sour cream for a nice tangy finish. I followed that with a Jaeger Schnitzel, a pork cutlet pounded flat and fried to a wonderful crispy finish. This was simply enormous, taking up most of a very large dinner plate. As if that weren't enough, it was piled with a mellow cooked sauerkraut, and an interesting German potato salad. There was no way I could finish all this food, but I made a valiant attempt anyway.

All in all, this was an amazing dinner. Huge portions of home-cooked German specialties in an old-world atmosphere and with attentive but understated service. And the prices were quite the bargain too, especially for the amount of food. We joked that we weren't doing a good job using up our expense accounts, but if I were on my dime, I'd consider this a steal. It's a little off the beaten path, but that's where the best finds always are, isn't it? Highly recommended.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We were staying in a hotel nearby, my wife wanted German and this fit the bill. She got the saurbraten with spatzle and red cabbage and I got the chicken schnitzel with lemon. Very tasty.

• Visited June 2013