“Great German food in a quaint atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European, German
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Dinner
Des Moines, Iowa
“Great German food in a quaint atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Being of partially German descent and having a dearth of authentic German restaurants back home, I was pretty excited when my coworker came upon Das Schnitzel Haus as a dinner option. This looked like a real, neighborhood place, far from the chain-restaurant land surrounding our hotel. The restaurant had a cute, old world feel, and the food was delicious! This was hearty, wholesome German food (and drink) that should not be missed when in Cleveland.

You definitely get the German vibe when you pull up to the chalet-looking building, complete with sizable beer garden in the front. Inside, the atmosphere is warm and inviting, with booths, tables and a long wooden bar with several taps. Naturally, I had to try one of the German brews with my meal and enjoyed the new (to me) Konig Ludwig Weissbier. It came in a tall glass and was a great pairing with the food that I ordered...

Which was fantastic! We started with potato pierogies (a nod to the other half of my ancestry, Polish) which were pan fried in butter to crisp up the outside while keeping the inside soft and smooth. These were just about perfect, and served with a cup of sour cream for a nice tangy finish. I followed that with a Jaeger Schnitzel, a pork cutlet pounded flat and fried to a wonderful crispy finish. This was simply enormous, taking up most of a very large dinner plate. As if that weren't enough, it was piled with a mellow cooked sauerkraut, and an interesting German potato salad. There was no way I could finish all this food, but I made a valiant attempt anyway.

All in all, this was an amazing dinner. Huge portions of home-cooked German specialties in an old-world atmosphere and with attentive but understated service. And the prices were quite the bargain too, especially for the amount of food. We joked that we weren't doing a good job using up our expense accounts, but if I were on my dime, I'd consider this a steal. It's a little off the beaten path, but that's where the best finds always are, isn't it? Highly recommended.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

94% Recommend
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We were staying in a hotel nearby, my wife wanted German and this fit the bill. She got the saurbraten with spatzle and red cabbage and I got the chicken schnitzel with lemon. Very tasty.

• Visited June 2013
UNIONTOWN
“Just Like Grandma used to make”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This may seem odd !! This was our 3rd or 4th dinner here but we haven't had schnitzel yet. Other reviews mention many other German favorites but we have never been able to pass up the saurbratten. It is our very favorite German meal. The atmosphere, attentive service and a stein of dark draft beer. It doesn't get any better this Grandma..

• Visited May 2013
Bethesda, Maryland
“We liked it a lot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Excellent German food. Quick service on a sunday late afternoon.
The potato pancakes were very good. We liked a lot the Rinderrrouladen and the Schweinshaxe. Pork shops (Kassler Fleish) were a bit too salty. The Fransiskaner beer (from wheat) was very light and so tasty.
Portions are big so be aware and don't order too many starters.

• Visited April 2013
Parma, Ohio
“German home cooking with flair”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

A wonderful couple from Germany owns, operates, cooks and bakes here. The outdoor patio is wonderful for events. Food is great....ahhh Schnitzel....and the prices are fair.

Visited October 2012