“Trendy, Lively and Fun” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Parallax is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 1,681 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cross street: Fairfield
Dayton, OH
“Trendy, Lively and Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My wife and I went here with our daughter and a friend of hers. It is in a beautiful area near Lincoln Park in Tremont. My daughter said it is a fusion of Japanese and American cuisine. It was a Saturday night and very busy. We had a reservation and were seated promptly. We got immediate attention from the wait staff. Our server was named Richard and was very knowledgeable. He said they pride themselves on their fish offerings. There are standard salads and entrees as well as a large number of sushi offerings. The menu was great but a little overwhelming so he gave us a tour of the menu and made some suggestions. They have a very nice smoked salmon appetizer that is served with a sour cream topping with minced onions and capers. What makes it a little different from other smoked salmon appetizers is a potato pancake. It is thin, crisp and served in quartered wedges. There is a small amount of beurre blanc sauce with this. The crispness of the pancake offset the softness of the fish very nicely. The flavors were all very subtle and merged perfectly. For the entree I had a spicy scallop roll. This was delicious as well. It comes in 4 large pieces and was enough to fill me up. My wife had the seared salmon. This had a nice crust on the top and was cooked perfectly. My daughter had the Ahi tuna, seared with a raw center. I had a piece and it melted in my mouth like butter. Her friend had the Udong noodles which were also very good. We all shared a mixed berry tart with vanilla custard which was delicious as well. The restaurant has wood floors and is noisy but in a fun and lively way. We were there two hours and Richard left us alone to talk but was always there when we needed him. All in all a very fun experience. Not a place for young children.

• Visited June 2014

Cleveland, Ohio, USA
“My Cleveland favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Everything here is that the client comes first. I have altered reservation times, days, etc. and they always say fine. But the food and ambience are the best. The sushi is outstanding. The frites, mere slivers that are tinged with herbs. The calamari not heavily saturated with oil. Their entrees are so interesting combining ingredients that make for delicious different dining. Their back patio is my favorite place in the summer. The owner, Zach Bruell, owns 5 restaurants in Cleveland. All are wonderful but this is my favorite.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
cleveland
“What more praise than to say that teenagers also loved it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I had the joy of taking my extended family, including my two teenage grandchildren, to dinner. Everyone enjoyed their meal. The service was wonderful. The choices on the menu were varied and exciting. The food was beautifully prepared, presented and tasted great. A fine evening.
Time and money well spent

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Painesville, Ohio
“Great Food, but close quarters”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

First, our meal here was fantastic! My scallops were absolutely perfect and the risotto possibly the best I've had. My wife got the walleye, it was very non-traditional, with a spicy crust and Latin style creamed corn, it was remarkable as well. The service, from the host to our waiter were very attentive and pleasant. The things that keep me from rating it as excellent were the very pedestrian décor and the seating. I know many other restaurants seat this way but I always hate it. It's the type where half of the table has seating on a long bench that you share with neighboring diners. The table next to us was no more than 18" away and I couldn't look to the left or right without feeling like I was invading their privacy. I understand it is a small dining room and they need to maximize seating but I still don't like being that close to strangers while dining at a very nice place like this. Based solely on food I would definitely rate it as excellent.

• Visited May 2014
Twinsburg, Ohio
“We Will Return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We were looking for an unplanned meal, and decided to dine in the Tremont or Ohio City neighborhoods of Cleveland, and after some failed attempts at other places ended up at Parallax. There is a bar area and a main dining room. The bar area was packed, the music pleasantly loud but it was easy for everyone to have a conversation without shouting. The main dining room had had music playing as well but despite the crowd, there was no irritating "noise" -- my guess is the restaurant was designed to absorb noise, making this a delightful place to have a delicious meal. The martinis were different and very enjoyable (we tried a Pear 75 and Debbie Does Bourbon. We split a Rainbow Roll as an appetizer - excellent. The main courses were wonderful. My wife had the scallops and substituted an eggplant side dish for the pineapple rice that usually is served with the meal. The scallops were prepared perfectly and the eggplant was tasty and flavorful. I had the seafood stew, served in a lemon fennel potato "soup" -- served with a large scallop, 3 large prawns, squid, clams and a firm white fish. Again a perfect paring of flavors and plenty of food. The service was excellent. They are also totally able to accommodate gluten allergies with gluten-free bread and soy sauce. Cost with 22% tip was $110.

• Visited March 2014