“Great choice!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Lolita is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 1,563 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cross street: Professor Ave
Zurich, Switzerland
“Great choice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

I beg to disagree with the prior review. When you go to a Michael Symon restaurant, it is about quality not quantity. I went there for a combination birthday/anniversary party just a few days ago. We could not have been more pleased. We were greeted and immediately seated per our reservation time. The waitress was very friendly, helpful and knew the menu well. Two members of our party had the macaroni, one the cheese pizza and I had the olive pizza. All were very delicious and just the right size. We opened with an appetizer of the fried okra, very good though perhaps not something for everyone. Two members of our party had a glass of wine. I chose to work my way through the beer list - first an Ommegong 3 Philosophers, then a Resistance Ale and lastly a Chinookie, the last two at the recommendation of the waitress. Great stuff. For desert, also at the recommendation of our waitress, we had the bacon-wrapped dates with caramel ice cream. Outstanding. We are all looking forward to our next visit.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Thai first
“sorry to say..”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

All four of us looked forward to going to eat at this restaurant. Not one of us was happy with our meals and left very disappointed. We were very underwhelmed. Service was fine. Hopefully they have new chefs in there, our experience was 2 years ago so maybe it has changed.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Ohio
“Lovely Lolita”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We travelled to Cleveland for a culinary road trip, specifically to hit 3 of Michael Symon's restaurants - Lolita was the first. The neighborhood was under major construction and we couldn't actually drive up to the front door, but they did have valet's just outside the construction zone to help people park.

We had 8 o'clock reservations and the restaurant which has a great, small neighborhood vibe was packed (always a good sign), after being seated the waitress was quick to drop off menus, but that was the last thing she did quickly. We ordered a couple appetizers and since the table was so small she suggested that we get them separately - that's fine I don't mind extending an enjoyable meal a little longer. But every step of the way we waited a long time, to have our plates cleared, for the next course to arrive, for the waitress to check on us. All told we didn't get out the restaurant until close to 11 (it was still busy, another good sign). Now i like a leisurely meal as much as the next guy, but that was a little too leisurely.

But the food made it up for it...mostly. I had the Roasted Bone Marrow app, and as gross as it might sound, it was amazing! The Big Board of cured meat was a tour of cured loveliness from around the world. And my Duck Confit was really good as well. My wife on the other hand is a huge fish lover, but her Swordfish was a little tasteless.

All in all, it was a good meal and we'd go back, but we'd keep an eye on our server.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Ohio
“Expensive little place..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I met some friends for dinner at Lolita on a Sunday evening. It was one of our friends birthday, so we had a group of 8 and had reservations. No problem getting our table, even though the restaurant was busy -- there was a street fair going on, and it was a zoo all around, thank goodness we made reservations! I had never been to Lolita, but had been to Lola. I'm not a very adventurous eater, but I like to try new things.. but some of this stuff was just flat out weird! I wasn't feeling very adventurous that night though, and just split the cheese pizza & potato torta with a friend. Both dishes were good. The pizza was a good size, the potato torta was very tasty, but quite a small portion for the price. I noticed a lot of our groups portions were small, but I guess that's how Lolita serves their food. I thought things were expensive for the amount of food you got. We also were a little bummed, we saw several tables receive baskets of bread & we never got any, it looked yummy! The wine was good as well. The service was awfully slow! I realize it was busy, but it took a long time to receive our drinks, an even longer time to get our food, and she never once stopped by to see how everything was or if we needed anything. I liked the atmosphere and the open kitchen, but it made it quite smoky at times and bothered everyone's eyes. Overall I enjoyed it, but due to the cost, the small portions & the menu being a little out there for me, I don't think I'll be returning.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
N.E. Ohio, usa
“One perfect dish after another”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Ate here on a friday night with a party of 7. We were seated in the window seat which thankfully allowed us access to the bar/happy hour menu. Valet parking at the door came in handy with the neighboring streets still under construction. The large staff was professional and attentive from the hostess to the foodrunners and of course our server.

The food was so consistently outstanding, that this rates as one of the finest meals we have enjoyed in a restaurant.

The eggplant dip was delicious, and the accompanying homemade flat bread came out warm. Dinner rolls were crisp outside, steamy and chewy goodness inside. A fried zucchini app was truly gourmet, perfect batter fried golden, with a complex aioli drizzle. My friends were busy raving about the mussels.

I had a summer salad with berries that was quite fresh this time of year, and a nice breather from all the rich goodness we had already enjoyed. DW had the $5 burger off the happy hour BAR menu, and it was incredible in both design and execution. Picture attached, this little monster was garnished with a fried egg, bacon, onions and cheese. Medium rare means what it should: piping hot and juicy throughout! Served on an english muffin, this would be the perfect precursor to a night of drinking. Easy to see why Chef Symon has a chain of burger places.

The Pork Sausage Pizza was excellent, the chilis and peppers dancing together with the modest sprinkling of mozzarella. Sauce and thin crust done perfectly, this is an excellent pie. The homemade pork sausage was the BEST I have ever had, and it isn't really close. This sausage was crumbling apart, spicy and fresh, so juicy. Incomparable. Ohio has a rich history of making sausage and Lolita's is high art.

There are a few nits to pick- it does get hot in the summer, with the open kitchen and servers running from the dining room direct to the patio. Parking can be an issue if you won't valet. My advice would be to plan ahead and dress light, because this place is well worth any minor headaches.

Michael Symon's original room is as good as you've heard, and can present an overall experience that ranks among the best around.

• 5 of 5 stars Food