“If you're looking for a great hotel....keep looking” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #25 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Columbus, Ohio
“If you're looking for a great hotel....keep looking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Stayed here two different weeks with many unpleasant experiences.

Staff not particularly friendly or helpful as a whole.

Did not get room size reserved, or microwave and fridge ordered upon arrival.

Stayed with a group of coworkers, and we all experienced regular issues.

Could not call front desk, as that option did not work on 3 out of 4 of our phones.

Keys didn't work on a regular basis, had to keep going to front desk to have fixed.

Tv took forever to come on and to change channel. A/C made horrible racket throughout the night.

Tub drained slow and drain plug fell apart daily. Apparently housekeeping did not feel the need to put back together when they serviced the room.

One of my co-workers went back to her room at the end of the day to find a coffee cup she didn't use sitting in her room. Housekeeping was thirsty? I don't know, but tacky.

2 Employees and eight stays later, I"m still not signed up for the "reward" points. I certainly wouldn't think it was rocket science, but apparently it's the best kept secret in town. The best "reward" would probably be to look elsewhere. Too many issues to make the stay enjoyable.

I"m back in Beachwood next week, but the Hampton Inn will have my business from this point forward.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Alas - this hotel was the worst we stayed at. Good point (two): it's relatively clean + it was the lowest priced hotel in that area of Beachwood. Bad points:
1. 2 not so friendly (rather gruff) desk clerks when we arrived at night
2. when I asked about a restaurant list, one desk clerk responded that they didn't have one and pointed to his head, stating that it was in his head and that I should specify a cuisine I wanted. We don't decide on restaurants this way so that was useless.
3. when we got back from dinner, the coffee left in the carafe (one last cup) was barely warm - it must have been sitting there for hours
4. one of the light bulbs in the bathroom was out; I unscrewed it and put it on the bathroom countertop for the maid to get changed. When we returned the next day, it was still sitting there.
5. the TV took 30 seconds (?) to come on; when pressing for any channel using the TV remote (for Direct TV), it takes about 10 seconds for each channel to come on (making you want to scream....loudly)
6. the coffee maker in the room did not work properly because the design was defective
7. breakfast one morning: both carafes of regular coffee out at 7:15 AM when we arrived; 10 minutes after requesting more, one carafe was filled
8. cold cereal choices at breakfast both days we were there: not one of the 7-8 varieties in the little boxes was cheerios, wheaties or any other variety without 2-4 teaspoons of added sugar (oink)
9. each day, one of the 2 room keys failed to work (a different one each day)
10. only one wastebasket in the room placed in the bathroom so, if someone has trash while another person is in the bathroom, there's nowhere to put it other than on the floor I guess
11. the breakfast area has only 6 tables; on both mornings, all were taken when we got down about 7-7:30 AM
12. no notice on making the reservation, nor at check in, about a surprise extra charge each day for the room safe
13. at breakfast, the fan from the ceiling blew freezing cold air down on your head (so hard that the steam from the coffee was blowing furiously sideways)
14. the breakfast plates are hard reusable plastic; one selected hard plastic breakfast plate had icky food residue on it; no quality control there.

Overall, it was unpleasant. Stay there only if you must

Room Tip: This hotel has 2 floors and looks like a motel. Any other photo is a fraud.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

I certain here after checking into a disgusting hotel across the highway. My coworker had a room here, so she tried to get me a room but they were sold out. She explained to the receptionist my situation and the receptionist asked if she had a room with two beds, if not she would have a cot delivered.

The rooms and common are are clean and beautiful. Thank the travel gods! I was traveling with someone who could take me in!

• Stayed July 2014
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

After a HORRIBLE and DISGUSTING stay at the Crowne Plaza in Indepedance, OH, we were afraid to stay anywhere else in the area. We took a chance here and I must say that i was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and you could tell that they really try to clean everything (no dust in hidden places). Our bathroom the next day could have been serviced a little better but atleast it was cleaned. The breakfast was fantastic when it comes to free breakfast. William at the front desk was great and went the extra step to help me find my way around town. When i did have a small problem. Sonya (Manager) was excellent!!!! She took care of it RIGHT away and for that I was thankful. This is will be my go to hotel from now when i have to come to the area!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Cincinnati
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I recently stayed here for my fathers 80th birthday celebration as it was near family and the location. I mostly dealt with Elizabeth in Sales and she made the whole reservation experience extremely easy as possible. The rooms were extremely comfortable, lighting was great, the deluxe continental breakfast was fully stocked. Different items everyday, and the staff tried to maintain it to be clean. Only negative experience that i experienced is that my tub would not drain. When I took a shower the tub filled up with water very quickly, so I was standing in dirty water above my ankles which was extremely unpleasant. I did address this to the front desk gentleman who worked the evening shift but never was fixed. Other than that, it was a nice experience

chicago, illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

The rooms are nicely upgraded, clean and quiet. The breakfast was very nice with super friendly staff. The only reason I did not give five stars was because the grounds are not well kept; actually very sloppy. Flowers at the entry would be nice with some other plantings and the courtyard view from our room was not desireable at all.

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Everything was outstanding from the time we walked through the door, to the room we stayed in, the customer service is outstanding. The food was wonderful, great taste and flavor. We walked in with a smiles on our faces and left with one on our faces. The three of us, me, my husband and son slept very comfortably. In fact the beds were absolutely comfortable. We were so thankful for this hotel (home away from home).

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor on the end left are very quieter
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Hotel Beachwood? Share your experiences!