“Excellent!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Erie, Pennsylvania
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have been going to the Holiday concert at Severance for the past 3 years and again I have tickets for this year! My son goes to Case Western Reserve and the concert hall is right on the corner of campus. The building is absolutely beautiful inside!! There is an elevator for those who need. I always get our tickets for the balcony $20.00 thru $55.00 per tickets. From the balcony you can see everything. I am sure that any seat in the house would be great. Downstairs there is a bar that you can get a glass of wine, beer, pop, water coffee or tea prior to the show. Plus there is another bar up on the balcony level. The conductor is superb the orchestra is just wonderful! If you are every in the area please take in a concert!!! Not sure what will do when Chris graduates this December! I guess we will continue to drive up! We drive about and hour and half to see. So worth the trip.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank vacafun3

San Francisco, California
131 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 157 helpful votes
“One of the great orchestras of the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We had the pleasure of touring Severance Hall which is a perfectly maintained Art Deco masterpiece. We also caught the end of the rehearsal as a good friend of ours was conducting. I was so impressed with the discipline, sound, precision and professionalism of this great orchestra. Such a pleasure!

Visited August 2013
2 Thank John K
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Just Plain Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Every time I go to a concert at Severance Hall, listening to "The Cleveland", I am thankful again for all the talent, vision, hard work and dedication through the years that underpin the orchestra today. The full orchestra sound is unique with an always present broad, richness topped off with a singing string section. Whether they are performing the "old war horses" or treating us to new compositions, stretching our ideas of music, it is always done with beautiful precision and depth of interpretation.
The concert hall itself, since the major renovation about 5 years ago, is a visual experience as well as an acoustical pleasure. I always think of a Viennese torte (a VERY good one) as I look around the hall. A sight and sound feast.
The usher staff is excellent and helpful, and the elevator operators (yes, actual people) are pleasant and have just the right touch of control of the crowd. Lav facilities have been improved (with the renovation, also). I do suggest buying a parking pass for the season if possible for the garage. For the out of town visitor, there are parking garages in the vicinity, but it is an outdoor walk. Usually, garage space at the Severance garage is available for Sunday afternoon concerts, a very nice way to spend Sunday afternoon.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Patricia S
Cleveland, Ohio
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I enjoy classical music, but must admit the first time I went to see the Orchestra at Severance it was because my son had to for school. My husband and I grumbled about having to dress up and drive through a blizzard on a work night for some over priced entertainment. Well, what started out as a chore turned into an addiction! We had seen (and enjoyed) the Orchestra play outdoors, but were totally unprepared for how blown away we would be to hear it at Severance. Severance Hall is a jewel, a perfect showcase. We have sat in every section, close enough to touch the stage with our feet and up in the rafters, and never have we been disappointed in the sound. Nothing beats a live performance! There is indoor parking, arrange when purchasing tickets as it does fill up in wintery Cleveland. There are coat checks, though we prefer to leave ours in the car. Wine, beer and coffee are available in the lobby which has a few small tables and chairs. There is a restaurant in house, a little pricey for us, but Little Italy is right around the corner with something for every budget.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Lucy F
Ohio USA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Simply superb.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Cleveland, Ohio has many fine- quality musical organizations. The crown jewel is the world- class Cleveland Orchestra. Its home is Severance Hall at University Circle, a beautiful performance space with exquisite art deco detailing. Its acoustics are excellent, showcasing the artistry of the Orchestra's performers.

The Cleveland Orchestra also performs at Blossom Music Center, a beautiful outdoor venue in the Cuyahoga Valley, and does a free concert around July 4th at Cleveland Public Square, complete with laser show and fireworks. The Cleveland Orchestra makes beautiful art accessible to the people of the Cleveland area and supports children's music education through its many outreach programs. Low- cost tickets are worth seeking,but seeing the orchestra from any distance is fine at any price level.

Severance Hall is near many fine resturants and also accessible to Little Italy, which is filled with delis, bistros and fine restaurants. One small restaurant there offers opera karaoke. It's a University Circle kind of thing.

Visited June 2013