“Quiet & comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of University Circle Bed and Breakfast

University Circle Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cleveland
University Circle Bed and Breakfast
1575 E. 108th St., University Circle, Cleveland, OH 44106   |
Ranked #4 of 13 Cleveland B&B and Inns
“Quiet & comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We were in town for a quick weekend visit for a family memorial service/reunion. Lucked out with some very mild, pleasant Spring weather. Really liked the character of this old house (1900 build). It was quiet for our stay; there were only 2 other people there ... so we might have had a different experience if all rooms were full - you do hear & smell pretty much everything, and the bathrooms are 'shared' (not our thing, but we lucked out and had our own). The owner, Gary, was helpful and attentive. Great to be close to everything we needed & we took some nice walks around the 'Circle' & visited the art museum, walked around campus, etc. Breakfasts were adequate & we had everything we needed. Our only suggestion would be a new mattress on the bed we had; it was a little too soft for our preference. We'll consider this place again if we find ourselves in the area in the future.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Lyndhurst, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

We hald a meeting for our Singles ministry at the bed and breakfast. The atmosphere was very cozy and inviting. The room was set up specifically for our meeting and they even provided an extra space for us if we needed it. They were very accommodating. The staff was courteous and professional. I also had a chance to check out the rest of the house while there and found it to be a very comfortable place to stay. I would recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone looking for good home away from home accommodations or just a cozy place to meet.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Chanhassen, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

My son and I stayed here when we visited Case Western Reserve. It was walking distance from Case and all the museums. Fun area to see d time in.
The B&B has such potential but it is just not there. So many little things that make most stays wonderful were lacking. A few exples... 1. Water issues. Cold water faucet in bathroom did not work. After a bit only super cold or way too hot water came out of the shower. 2. Light bulbs, we counted 5 that were burned out. 3. Food. Most B&Bs try pretty hard to serve a delicious fresh breakfast. Must say the orange juice and fresh fruit were good. The rest not so great. Our waffles were too hard to eat. I doubt they were freshly made. Eggs were a bit slimy.
That said, the beds were comfortable and the common area is warm, cozy and welcoming.
I felt rushed out in the morning as they were stripping the beds before any of the guests had left the house in the morning.
Probably would not stay again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I have been traveling to Cleveland for years for school. This is one of the best places that I've stayed. Comfortable beds. Tasty breakfast. Wonderful hospitality. It is within a few minutes of the Peter B. Lewis building. Also, all of Cleveland's wonderful museums are nearby. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Bexley, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We spent two nights at the University Circle B & B as my husband had research to do at the Western Reserve Historical Society two blocks away. The host, Gary, and his housekeeper, Bridget are very nice people who tried their best to help us with directions,food recommendations and even a ride to a nearby restaurant as the weather was awful.
However, I couldn't in good conscience give them an excellent rating as there were some things about our experience which didn't measure up to the other B & B's we've stayed at. First of all, both the front and back porches and their steps were deep in snow which was dangerous to navigate even without luggage. Gary had the driveway and sidewalk shoveled by a service but didn't try to clear the steps into the house or the porch itself. Secondly, I discovered after we had already checked in that someone was smoking in the house. I'm allergic to cigarette smoke, and the smell of tobacco permeated up to my bedroom even with the door shut. If I had known that would be the case, I would've stayed somewhere else.
There were small things that would've made our stay more enjoyable: a hand towel in the bathroom, some soap in the shower, a bed that wasn't pushed so close to the fireplace that I had to be very careful not to bump my head on the mantle when getting out in the morning. The living room was usually dark, and the dining room where we had our meals was usually pretty cold. Maybe it's more pleasant in the nice weather. Nobody came in while we were gone all day Friday to straighten the bed or change the towels. On Friday morning after breakfast, we arranged with Bridget to have breakfast at 8 am on Sat. We came downstairs at 8 am to find the house dark and nobody in sight. When we tried to find Gary by knocking on the kitchen door, there was no answer. I finally had to call him on my cell phone to ask if there was anything we could get for ouselves as we were hungry (Bridget was obviously delayed due to the bad weather). He just told us she's be there soon.
I may seem as though I'm nitpicking, but I'm used to going to B & B's where breakfast is a special meal. Most hosts try to make something different. Yes, Bridget made what we asked for, and the food was ok but nothing out of the ordinary.
Finally, after giving us the best route to get to the highway (which we greatly appreciated), Gary left abruptly to do laundry. We thought we'd at least get a thank you for coming. So, we let ourselves out, picked our way through the very deep snow on the steps and left.
In some ways, this B & B was very convenient, especially the location. The price wasn't bad either. But in other ways, it was disappointing compared to what we've experienced in the past.

Room Tip: Our room had a very high bed which might be difficult for some people to climb into.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed at University Bed and Breakfast from October 13th 2013 -October 15 2013 during a visit to see my youngest daughter, a freshman at Cleveland Institute of Art. Our host Gary was friendly , attentive and informative. The location was absolutely perfect for our needs, within walking distance of the school, the museums and all of what makes University Circle such a vibrant community! The grounds were private, attractive and comfortable, we really enjoyed sitting by the fire at the end of a long day ! Our rooms were adorable, with comfortable beds and attractive antiques. This proved to be a very enjoyable, quiet and relaxing stay. A perfect introduction to the city of Cleveland. University Circle Bed and Breakfast is the perfect ambassador to show everyone the best that University Circle has to offer, a unique, vibrant and beautiful setting with friendly, knowledgeable people. Thanks again Gary! We'll be back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Putnam Valley, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I booked ten nights at the University Circle Bed & Breakfast when my husband was scheduled for heart surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. It was half the price of the Clinic's on-site hotel. It was great to have a refuge away from the Clinic while my husband was hospitalized, and both before he went in and after he got out it was nice for him too. The hospital is a ten-minute drive away. Gary was a generous host and will give you whatever you like for breakfast. My husband likes oatmeal-and-fruit while I prefer eggs and toast. Whatever you want, just ask. We LOVED the room. It had its own balcony and on the warm days it was a nice place to spend time. Everything is clean and neat and comfortable. It was wonderful to be within easy walking distance of the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Museum of Natural History and the other University Circle attractions. We wouldn't think of staying anywhere else in Cleveland.

Room Tip: All the bedrooms share a bathroom, one bath shared between two bedrooms. People who need a private b...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to University Circle Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!