“lost wallet” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Cleveland, Ohio
“lost wallet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I thought the staff and accomadations at the Aloft in downtown cleveland were top notch. after spending dinner at one of many restaurants in the area...my associate and i stopped by to use the computer stations in the lobby and when i reached into my bag my wallet must have fallen out. So i went to sleep in the spectacular room and awoke with the sickening feeling that someone had my wallet. as i was walking up to the check out desk i was created by the staff that knew my name and i found it strange because none of them were there when i checked in. There was my wallet...safe and sound with all its belongings.

A+++ to Karolina, Brian and Rachel for making my night and day.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Bill R, General Manager at Aloft Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for your review and compliments of our staff. I have personally brought your comments to Karolina, Brian and Rachel's attention. We are glad your wallet was found and we were able to return it to you. We look forward to another opportunity to serve you next time your travels bring you back to the downtown Cleveland area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Twinsburg, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

What great retreat ! Location is excellent I had my eyes on this place ever since it opened. We like to go to a place across the river for some nightlife and views of the river and lakefront, you can see the A-loft from the docks and it looks really cool. We had a tough week at work and I decided we need a one night getaway, I called my wife and said "pack your bags when you get home we are going away for the night ! We go downtown often and have stayed several places, but this will be our new home. Like others have stated sleek modern and almost a urban feel and vibe throughout the building. We got a 2 queen beds room and it was a corner unit, All the windows that looked over the river and the lake was awesome ! My wife really knew nothing about this place and she was incredibly pleased. It has a contemporary look with no heavy or gaudy furnishings or furniture and spacious. The modern sink, and glass shower area, 42" flat screen TV on the wall they really have taken a hotel room to new places, it felt like a modern apartment with great views, Being on this end of the Hotel you do hear the busy trains ( and can see them) but hey what would you expect based on this urban/Industrial location, it was not where you could not sleep or anything ( we actually liked it), beds were very comfortable. The next best part of our stay was the staff, ALL EXCELLENT friendly eager to please and fun. We came back after a dinner up the street in the warehouse district and partied with the others in the very cool bar. DJ was on tap and they poured some really good drinks. I especially would mention if I am allowed Kristin,Rachael,Jessie ( the bartender) made our stay great. Complimentary coffee in the lobby was good and the breakfast items for purchase were reasonable oops I forgot we did not use the fitness facilities so we could not comment on those..We will be back this summer when the weather is warmer and we could be outside.

Room Tip: for larger space and the views get a corner unit facing the lake, rooms on the east side I think fac...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I booked a room here last min due to a cancelled flight on my way back to Boston. The hotel is in a decent area providing walkable (although I don't mind long walks) access to some nice bars and restaurants.

The staff was very attentive, friendly and accommodated my late checkout without pause.

My room was clean and comfortable, although I did face a parking garage which was noisy during the morning commuting hours. I would definitely not hesitate to stay here again, this is probably my new go-to downtown Cleveland hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed at the Aloft in Cleveland over the Christmas break for a few days. It was a good stay and the staff was personable and attentive. We liked the property and got to wander around some and had a great time.

Our trip was a romantic get away and I felt that we got great value for our money staying at the Aloft. The area the hotel is in is a bit industrial and there aren't a ton of cheap restaurants right by the hotel. The sandwiches they had stocked at the front desk were reasonably priced and were tasty.

We used the valet frequently. There was a disconnect as at no time when I called down to get the car ready did the message get passed down to the valet and we always had to wait. Not a big deal but the communication could be improved.

The gym there is good. They had new machines and dumbbells which was pretty awesome.

Train noise was noticeable but wasn't too much to keep me up at night and it was really cool getting to see the barges and trains going by.

I would definitely stay at the Aloft in Cleveland again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Sleek and modern hotel, from lobby to rooms. VERY friendly and competent staff, including valet. Great location in the city, and right across the street from an RTA stop. Short walk to many places, including restaurants, clubs, and the casino (admittedly not fun in the cold). If you're a light sleeper, bring ear plugs, as the hotel is near train lines and the river (boat traffic). Also, don't be surprised if you feel your room shaking a bit when trains go by- a little unnerving the first time until you figure out what it is. And don't forget to flash your AAA card and get 10% off!

Room Tip: Ask for a river-side room- great view night and day!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Woking
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

You love the Aloft or you hate it. The amenities that make an Aloft an Aloft are great to some and perhaps annoying to others. Here are a few. The interior spaces look like they were furnished entirely out of the IKEA catalog. Guest room interiors are minimalist – most surfaces are formica; floors are a mix of ceramic tile or flat mats that serve as carpeting; the built-in fixtures (sink, faucets, toilet, lamps, etc.) are an unadorned, stark design. There is a coffee maker in the guest rooms, but the coffee is very small tea-bag sized coffee packets (exactly like the ones in Sheraton Four Points guest rooms).

This Aloft, in downtown Cleveland, is in a great location – close if not within walking distance of most downtown tourist destinations. The Cleveland rail transit is literally outside the front door of the hotel. Parking is either valet or self-park, and it could not be more convenient. Depending on the location of your room, the views of the surrounding “flats” on the Cuyahoga River are interesting (request a room with a river view). The “flats” is a former industrial shipping area that has been revitalized as a night-life area.

The gym in the hotel is very basic, and on the small side (not much more than a few treadmills, a couple steppers, and a set of dumb bells). There is a world-class commercial gym in the same building that offers a $15 day pass. This commercial gym alone is worth staying at this Aloft during long-term stays. Amazingly, it has a full complement of free weights. There is also space for Pilates (I think) and Spin classes. And, imagine every machine you can, and you’ll find 10 or 12 there.

Inside, the Aloft offers its typical selection of snacks and quick meals for sale. There is a continental breakfast available as well, and in the morning you can order hot items such as eggs in various configurations.

The corner room I booked had a view of the river on one side, and a view of the freeway bridge out the other. Though large, the room was very stark. There was no separate chair in the room in which to sit and relax or read – a big drawback in my book. The only chair was the desk chair, which was entirely fine. There was a long bench along one wall, and after you put your suitcase and backpack there, you have nowhere to sit other than the desk chair. A flat-screen television was mounted on the wall at the foot of the bed.

The bathroom was well-equipped, but so stark and minimalist, I felt like I was showering and getting dressed in an RV. One HUGE drawback was the tile floor. It had a layer of soap scum from a recent mopping. It was sticky and I left foot prints in the soap scum every time I walked in. The bed has GREAT reading lights, one on each side, and there are plenty of convenient electrical outlets on either side of the bed – great for using my computer while lying in bed. The built-in desk along the window facing the river had all the requisite connections, and the desk lamp was great. It was a great workspace for getting office work done while working in my room.

Finally, the lobby is enormous, with plenty of places to sit and read, work on an iPad or laptop, and order a drink. There is a pool table in the lobby which was a nice touch. And, the music being played is not obtrusive.

A very welcome attribute was the staff. Without exception, everyone I encountered was very pleasant, very helpful, and seemed genuinely interested in helping me enjoy my time at this Aloft.

In summary, if you like the Alofts where you’ve stayed elsewhere, this one in Cleveland will be entirely acceptable to you. If you don’t like the Alofts elsewhere, this one isn’t going to change your opinion. As a place to stay for a few days on business, it is entirely fine. If you’re in Cleveland as a long-term tourist and you’ll be out most of the time, it’s fine. If you are intending to spend a lot of time in the hotel, I would suggest that this is not the place for you to stay. The amenities that would make a hotel itself a tourist destination are simply not in the Aloft’s playbook.

Room Tip: The best views are from rooms facing the river (out the front of the building). If you want quiet...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We booked this hotel for a trip to Cleveland to see the Bears play the Browns. The location is perfect for football, a short drive, walk or light rail trip.
The valet service was polite and professional.
Walking into the lobby was impressive. It was sleek and modern, geared to young, hip travelers. As a couple in our late 20s/early 30s, we felt that it suited our tastes and our age group.
The staff was enthusiastic and polite. The lady at the front desk seemed genuinely happy. Then again, everyone we encountered in Cleveland was polite so it could just be a very friendly city.
Our room overlooked the river and the light rail, but the noise did not bother us. Earplugs were provided, but we didn't need them. The bed was comfortable and clean with really great throw pillows. The blinds were blackout blinds so no light got in when we were ready for bed.
The shower was amazing. Both hubs and I took long hot showers to warm up after the game. Plenty of hot water. We really enjoyed the shampoo and soap dispensers in the shower. Much more economical and environmentally friendly than individual bottles. Nice touch!
We walked to the warehouse district for dinner. We could have walked just about anywhere we wanted to from the location but it was just too cold.
We had an amazing time at the Wxyz bar, meeting a lot of great people. The bartender was awesome...sorry forgot her name but she worked the Sunday of Dec 15. Great service and super nice to the customers.
This is a fun hotel, designed for the young on the go traveler. Very chic design, very modern.
My only complaint....very minor...the toilet paper could be less a little more plushy. It was thin and cheap and a bit sandpaperish. The TP needs an upgrade.
Next time we are in Cleveland we will return!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Aloft Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!