“Post-industrial Positive Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 32 hotels in Cleveland
New York City, New York
“Post-industrial Positive Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Five of my buddies met up here for a reunion in the middle of the country, so Aloft was like a dorm for this middle-aged group. The view of the Cuyahoga River--the stretch that once caught on fire--is a window into the industrial past, and you can see Lake Erie peeking out around the bend. I didn't even mind the train noise in the late morning since you know you're under an impressive steel bridge instead of in the sleepy suburbs. It's fun to stay in a re-purposed building and not in a sterile big-box hotel. When we were enjoying beverages at the bar, we stayed in the warehouse district and so avoided driving; there was pretty much everything you need available within walking distance. The Italian place right by the parking garage in back is a nice spot to enjoy some drinks and appetizers, especially if the sidewalk cafe part is open; I'd recommend the scallops. Also, the pantry of items you can pay for is the most extensive (and most carefully provisioned) of any I've seen at a hotel. The staff were welcoming and helpful about splitting a bill. This hotel's strength is that it can function as a home base: it even has a pool table, and plenty of banquettes or conversation pits. I enjoyed the balcony as well--same industrial view--but was surprised that people were smoking there. That's illegal in NYC! A non-smoking balcony for bar patrons and guest would be a big plus. The pounding techno could also have been turned down. Which brings us to a key point--Aloft is designed for 20-somethings. It's chic, hip, and a bit cold. Try sliding the bathroom doors and you'll see what I mean. We figured we were the only guests who remembered the Vietnam War. Still, staff were friendly, and they worked with us for a group rate. The two desks overlooking the Flats were a nice touch, so that two people can set up their computers or their papers and cosmetics. Overall, it was the 19th C in the 21st, and I'm glad they saved the building.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
EricCybulski, General Manager at Aloft Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Aloft Cleveland Downtown. We always appreciate hearing from our guests. We are happy to see your group enjoyed themselves during your reunion in Cleveland. Several of our guests enjoy the location and the ability to venture around the downtown area without having to drive. We hope to see you and your group again soon! Thank you again for your feedback, I will be sharing it with our team!

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I'm still kind of laughing about this hotel. First of all, I would probably stay again if the price were right. But it's odd, strange really. The room is like an Ikea vision, all sleek and modern and it almost works. There were problems - the door to the hallway was about 1/8th of an inch offline, which left a gap which meant that you heard everyone in the all. The staff was inventive and gave me masking tape, so with that an a towel, I was able to block the noise.

The bathroom door does not close completely. The engineer came up and it's clear that the problem is a poorly made slider. There wasn't anything he could do. Listen, the secret to my long successful marriage is that we retain a bit of privacy and the bathroom doors really should shut.

Finally, I mentioned to the desk clerk that I found it surprising that there were no drawers for clothes, and he told me that "people on the go don't use dressers." Direct quote. As it later turned out, I saw the marketing literature that the Aloft is for "people on the go and people in the know." Well, I'm on the go 24 weeks a year and I like a drawer. Perhaps I'm not in the know.

It seems like a harmless pretension to position this a high style concept and is amusing in its way. Last week it was filled with Browns fans, who are great people but not really Mac carrying, funky glasses, skinny jean sorts.

There are highlights. The neighborhood is cool. The location to other parts of Cleveland is good. The bar seemed like fun although I'm not a bar person. The beds were very comfortable.

So, overall, if the price were right, I'd come back. But it's a little silly isn't it?

Room Tip: The rooms facing the RTA Light Rail are noisy. They really are. Try to get a room on the other sid...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hello and thank you for your feedback about your stay at the new Aloft Cleveland Downtown. My apologies for the inconveniences you experienced with your guest room doors. I have shared your issues with our maintenance team so they may check the doors throughout the hotel and correct the deficiencies you noted. I have also shared your comments with the rest of our talent team to ensure we move forward with our service initiatives. We enjoy getting feedback from all of our guests as it allows us to identify those areas where we need to improve in order to provide the best service to all of our guests. We hope you will stay with us again the next time you visit the downtown Cleveland area. Thank you again!

Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

My daughter and I were in town for a Browns game. We were welcomed by the valet parking and were a little early to check in. The desk staff took our bags for us while we went down to The Willeyville for a great lunch. After a walk around the city we checked in and were provided with a great room. Corner room on the six floor. We had a great view of the stadium and Lake Erie.
After the game we enjoyed a drink from the XYZ bar on the balcony.
The room had all the amenities needed. Enjoyed our stay and will be back.

Room Tip: Room on the 6th floor close to Lake Erie
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
EricCybulski, General Manager at Aloft Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for your review about the Aloft Cleveland Downtown. We were happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to enjoy yourselves at Wxyz as well as the local restaurants. Yes, the corner rooms are quite popular as they do offer some of the best views of the lake. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to Cleveland!
Terra Alta, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Booked an overnight stay plenty far in advance for the Bills vs. Browns game. My reservation was for two beds. Upon arrival at 4pm, I was told my room wasn't ready but would be in about 20 minutes. I go back in 30 minutes, still not ready. OK, I go sit down and wait more. I see person after person getting rooms. By the time I finally get "a" room, it is 6pm, and low and behold they have ran out of rooms with 2 beds. How can this be?? I have a reservation for a two bed room. So they give me the run around [---] treatment that poor businesses and airlines do when the screw up. Tell me they will give me an air mattress and blow me off. So I get to my room and it smells like urine bad. I could go on and on. Basically, find another property if you are staying in this area, there are plenty. This place is poorly run, poorly managed and dirty. You will be much happier.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback. Our apologies for delays and inconveniences you experienced during your check-in at the Aloft. I am sharing your comments with our front desk and housekeeping teams to address the issues you mentioned about the long check-in time and the room odor. I can assure you this is not the level of service we strive to provide for our guests. We will make the necessary adjustments to ensure future guest experiences meet and exceed the guests' expectations. Again, thank you for your comments.
Akron, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I had booked a room on August 9 for an overnight stay on October 3. On October 1, I was notified that they were overbooked and I needed to move outside the city for my stay. When I questioned them on this, I was told they have a walk policy and they have the right to do this and I should familiarize myself with the walk policy. Not a very customer service oriented hotel by this type of response. I checked for vacancies in downtown Cleveland and there is nothing. Because of this I have had to cancel my trip.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
My apologies for the unfortunate circumstances you encountered regarding your planned trip to Cleveland on October 3rd. I can understand your frustration in needing to cancel your trip due to the hotel being sold out. I also want to apologize on behalf of your booking channel as they were to contact you several days earlier than what they did about the potential move to another location. You should have been notified much earlier to provide you with an opportunity to change plans if necessary. We were assured that this was going to happen, and obviously it did not. I can assure you that we will continue to communicate with our booking partners so these mishaps do not occur again. Please feel free to contact me at 216-400-6469 to discuss the matter further. Thank you.

Tallmadge, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We had made reservations on August 9 for an overnight stay on October 3, 2013, almost two months before our trip. Today, October 1, we get a phone call saying that they overbooked and need to move us outside the city of Cleveland. I am sure this had to do with the fact that they were able to get more money because the Cleveland Indians have a playoff game on October 2 and the Cleveland Browns are playing the Buffalo Bills on October 3. Because of their greed we have had to cancel our business trip. Really concerned about their motto "loyalty counts" and making sure we have had an "A-OK experience".

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
EricCybulski, General Manager at Aloft Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for your comments. My apologies for the unfortunate circumstances which occurred surrounding your reservation for the night of October 3rd. It is not our intention to mislead anyone and I can assure you we were not being greedy. We had to relocate several guests due to a group staying through the 3rd, which means we have to pay for them to stay elsewhere. Also disappointing is the fact that the web channel you booked through assured us that they would communicate the changes to you when we notified them of our situation. They, in turn, waited another four to five days to notify you putting you in an even more difficult situation. Again, I apologize for your inconvenience and the delay in following up from your booking agent.
Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I originally had a reservation fom September 3rd for one night at Aloft. I booked my room on August 3rd over the phone.
I called on September 25th to confirm my reservation and was told that everything was fine. On September 26th I was called by the hotel and was told that due to a convention that decided extend their stay, I was bumped from my reservation.
I was excited to stay at this property. I had this hotel booked for a special 12 year anniversary night in downtown Cleveland with my fiance and we were coming in all the way from Memphis Tennessee... To be "fair", the customer care manager booked another room for me but the hotel is not even close to downtown Cleveland. I also tried to reach out to the general manager, but he was apparently too busy. I do appreciate what Carolina (the customer service manager) did, but the special anniversary plans that I had made which revolved around staying downtown, were ruined.

I hope anyone who actually gets to keep their reservation, enjoys their stay. But as a frequent traveler, I will never ever reserve with Aloft again. Super dissappointed...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
My apologies for the situation that occurred at the Aloft Cleveland Downtown causing your reservations to be moved. I understand the frustration as you had anniversary plans and were counting on being in the downtown area. Once we knew of the group extending, we immediately tried to secure other accommodations close to us only to find everything else downtown was booked. I know the apology doesn't make up for the disappointment you experienced but if you would like to discuss it further please feel free to contact me at 216-400-6469. Thank you.

Aloft Cleveland Downtown

Been to Aloft Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!