“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Cleveland
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed at the hotel with family overnight. Brand new hotel, great rooms, spacious, very comfortable. The location of the hotel is very convenient to some of the best of what Cleveland has to offer - walking distance to Case Campus, Severance Hall, L'Albatross restaurant, Cleveland Institute of Music, Cleveland Museum of Art and, of course, Little Italy. As stated before by other reviewers, the only downside was the lack of parking options and, in a way, I felt pretty much coerced to use the valet system - when I least expected, the car key was tagged with minimal explanation and before I knew I was being charged the extra $18 per day. Other than that surprise, great stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Cleveland University Circle, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Pedro C,
Thank you for sharing your complimentary feedback on your stay with us at Courtyard Cleveland University Circle. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay and found our hotel’s location both convenient and well suited for your travels. We appreciate your feedback of opportunities for improving our property and overall guest experience. We’re happy to have had you as our guest, and we hope you’ll visit us again soon. Thank you again.

Scott Starek, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

This hotel is new, and as expected, the rooms were clean and the lobby looked fresh and modern. I had a room with two queen beds and it was spacious, included a microwave and fridge, and the tv selection was great. In this way, the accommodations met expectations for a clean and convenient place to stay in University Circle. Although the price of valet was high, I found the valet staff to be great. Good customer service and I didn't have to wait too long for my car.

A few things could be improved:
What is the deal with the luggage carts? At times there seemed to be more than enough valet staff out front, and they aren't allowed to help take your bags to your room? That seemed odd and it was very awkward trying to navigate the huge luggage cart through the narrow hallways.

Hospitality seemed lacking from the front desk staff. When we arrived, there was a large event that took over the small check-in area. The front desk staff made absolutely no effort to ensure that we felt welcomed into the hotel. It was clear that the party took precedent over the guests that day, and that's not the best way to start a stay. I also seemed to get lackluster greetings throughout my stay. I only notice this because you have to walk right in front of the check-in desk to get to the elevator and it feels strange when hospitality staff are not hospitable.

Parking: I didn't like the lack of parking options, $18/day seems high, but maybe this is the going rate in the area.

Lobby Cafe: Didn't find great food options here. It would have been nice to have more options than burgers or pizza--especially since there are no good food options on the block. The area in general didn't seem to have good food options, just fast food. Little Italy is a short walk away and they had great food there.

Overall, I would stay here again for the convenience, but it would be really nice if this place focused on the details to make a fuller experience for guests.

Room Tip: Go to little Italy for food.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Cleveland University Circle, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
stevenssn,
Thank you for writing a review. Your feedback is important to us as guest satisfaction is our highest priority. I’m glad you found our convenient location and comfortable accommodations well suited for your travels. I sincerely apologize for the areas we fell short in meeting your expectations. Please know we will take your comments into consideration inorder to improve our property and overall guest experience. We appreciate your feedback on these areas and we hope you’ll have an opportunity to visit us again in the near future. Thank you again for writing.

Beverly, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed one night, in town for a concert at The Grog Shop. First impression of the room was that it was extremely well maintained and had an overall feeling of class. Staff were all very friendly, from the valets to the bartender and everyone else I encountered. The thing that really solidified my 5-star rating is the shuttle service. When we inquired about getting a cab with the front desk, they informed us that they offered a complimentary shuttle. The driver was very friendly and courteous, and was sure to give us her card so we could call for a ride back to the hotel after the event was over. Any time a hotel goes out of its way to offer me added convenience, I go out of my way to make sure to stay there again the next time I'm in town! Definitely worth the money and then some if you need a hotel in that part of town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Cleveland University Circle, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Jesse45786,
Thank you for your review and complimentary feedback on our great hotel and friendly staff. We appreciate you selecting our hotel while attending a concert at The Grog Shop. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you had a great time at the concert. I’m pleased to know that our complimentary shuttle service provided an added convenience for your travels. We look forward to your next visit with us at Courtyard Cleveland University Circle. Thank you again for writing.

Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

There are advantages to staying at a newly-constructed hotel. The bathroom, for one. This hotel had a very nice walk-in shower with an immovable glass screen to keep the water in. No cruddy, old tub with caulking done by 6 year olds, no vinyl shower curtain that sticks to you.

Something else about a newly-constructed hotel? The hotel pool. Not skeevy at all. I wouldn't stay at this hotel for the pool - it's small - but it's nice and clean if you have a kid who wants to splash around for a bit.

Another reviewer mentioned this too, and I agree. Our room also didn't smell like the heavily perfumed spray typically used to remove odors like cigarette smoke. The room smelled clean and fresh. No chemical scents at all! What a delight.

The beds were comfortable, the staff was pleasant, and the noise level was low, even for a Saturday night when we spotted at least two wedding parties in the lobby.

I'm always thrilled with free hotel wi-fi. This chain has it.

Yes, there's a daily fee to park your car, but you get unlimited in and out. What did you expect in a large city?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
cincinnatiohgirl,
Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your experience with us at Courtyard Cleveland University Circle. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed a quiet stay and found our comfortable accommodations to meet your satisfaction. We appreciate you selecting our hotel for your travels, and we hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed here 2 nights in July and got some of the best sleep that I've had in months! The rooms were modern, clean and super comfortable. My room had a fabulous walk in shower. I think the hotel itself is new. The tread mills in the fitness center were great and had connection for my iPod. Good music was also playing so I really didn't even need it. It has a fantastic little restaurant that serves Starbucks coffee and a few different restaurant options just around the corner. Yes the additional cost for valet was a downside. Another plus is that the hotel restaurant as well as a little pantry equipped with frozen dinners and cocktails/beer/wine if you missed the opportunity to get dinner. There were a few nice sitting areas inside and outside as well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Cleveland University Circle, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
ShanStorm,
Thank you for taking a moment to write a review about your stay with us at Courtyard Cleveland University Circle. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed a restful stay with us and found our accommodations to be clean and comfortable during your visit. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and we hope you’ll return for another visit again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Peconic, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed one night. The room in this hotel was beautiful. Slept great. Bathroom was huge with great walk-in shower. Water pressure only disappointment. Staff was very friendly and helpful. 5 min. to Litlle Italy where there are great cafes and restaurants with indoor/outdoor seating. Could be fairly argued as a little pricey. FYI, Starbucks steps from front door..go there instead of lobby cafe. Overall, great choice, very happy with experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Cleveland University Circle, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
taxcertesq,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at Courtyard Cleveland University Circle. It’s great to hear you enjoyed our clean and spacious accommodations, as well as our friendly staff. We appreciate your valuable feedback on both positive and opportunities for improving our guest experience. We do hope you’ll visit us again soon. Thank you once again for writing.

San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Too pity that it is a courtyard but not full Marriott.
Basically, this hotel was good: the location is good the staff was helpful, however the swimming pool was a joke and it is a pricey hotel

Parking is valet only and $18/day. Call them in advance if u need your car.

There are not so many options for the breakfast, but I waited 30 min to get my food. Only 2 staff was working at the counter and I believe one of them was a trainee... She was struggling to handle all requests..

There was big park nearby which may holding weekday concert in summer night. That was very cool and there was some yummy French restaurants nearby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Cleveland University Circle, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Machilus,
Thank you for taking a moment to write a review about your stay with us at Courtyard Cleveland University Circle. It’s great to hear you enjoyed the concert in the park, and found our helpful staff and great location to meet your expectations during your visit. We appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize for the wait and inconvenience you experienced at breakfast. We value you as our guest and hope you’ll have an opportunity to visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Kind regards,
Scott Starek, General Manager

Been to Courtyard Cleveland University Circle? Share your experiences!