“Portions are ridiculous!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Takeout
Columbus, Ohio
“Portions are ridiculous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

First, I do have to laugh at the people critizing #1, the location, and #2, the décor. Clearly these people have no appreciation for a family run business that was here long before ritzy new granite everything. Some people, like myself, LOVE retro and vintage. This place is definitely that. In what is clearly a more depressed area of town, this place is still drawing people. How about some props for that?

Okay. I will give them. There is a reason this place is rated #1 on Trip Advisors and haters are always gonna hate.

We arrived at 7 am on a Monday morning as we were leaving our Cleveland trip behind and heading back to Columbus. I was traveling with my Brooklyn born Jewish husband who is forever desperately looking for great deli's in Ohio. He found one.

They were not busy and we sat immediately upon entering. Everyone said hi to us. Almost as if they knew us.

The servers were definitely old school. Probably been there for years. I loved it. They were friendly but brisk. My coffee was never got below half before she was filling it. OLD SCHOOL service people. Appreciate it. (She also gave us some trip suggestions)

The décor is much like it probably was 50 years ago. I am okay with that. I loved it and it was clean.

We ordered breakfast and I could not believe the portions. The pile of corned beef they give you on the side with eggs and hash browns is ridiculous.

Now, my confession. I don't even like corned beef. But I figured while in Rome, you know? And I actually liked this! It was very tender and melted in my mouth. I took half my breakfast home. Husband took half his sandwich home. So for two people with drinks our bill was 28 bucks. And we got FOUR meals from that. In my book, that's a bargain.

Is this the best in Cleveland? Couldn't tell you. Haven't tried many others. Is it pretty damn good? Yep. Over 280 excellent reviews is kinda hard to dispute, no?

As we were checking out other people talked to us too. Asked us where we were from, etc...I truly felt like I was a regular and I only spent an hour there. I WOULD be a regular if I lived anywhere close to this place.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Love, love, love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

It is just like the sandwich shop on Seinfeld, but friendly! It is just a really cool little place. The ladies waiting the tables are SO friendly and happy and sweet (we didn't find a lot of this in Cleveland.) I got the Reuben Melt - YUMMY! And my husband got the hot dog and finished my reuben :) The sandwiches are monstrous!

We got there at 10:45 or so (they serve breakfast too!) and it wasn't crowded at all. There was a family and two couples at tables. Shortly after we sat down and got our food (very fast) it started filling up. It was all locals so that was cool too.

Highly recommend this place! Rachel Ray, George Bush, Joe Biden (rolls eyes) all have visited too. Great little find!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Davidson, North Carolina
“Slyman's is a MUST when you visit Cleveland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

When I travel, I want to experience a place. When I eat, I want a meal that evokes the memory of my visit and captures the spirit of the destination. I am confident that nowhere will do that for your visit to Cleveland like Slyman's.

We were visiting for an appointment at Cleveland Clinic and had a few hours to kill. The Cleveland Museum of Art was great! The hospital was impressive. But, Slyman's was unforgettable.

First, the place was packed at lunch hour, and with a reassuring mix of tourists, business types, and blue collar/neighborhood folks. We sat at the lunch counter and the crowds did not stop coming in to grab to-go orders the entire time. It was a great, vibrant atmosphere. Not crowded, but busy. Not loud, but bustling.

Slyman's is the kind of institution that makes its name with heaping piles of its signature dishes. Think Primanti's in Pitt or Kelly's in Boston. In Slyman's case, the specialties of the house are the corned beef sandwiches and the variations on that theme: corned beef melts, pastramis, reubens, etc. The food is really good. A single sandwich is enough to serve a couple.

But, what was most impressive about Slyman's was the people. The entire staff were friendly and engaging. They knew the regulars and the banter was amusing. But, they didn't make us - as tourists - feel out of place. It was as though you were guest starring on an episode of Cheers.

Mo, working the register, could not have been more friendly. He was passionate about his restaurant and their food. Equally important, he was passionate about Cleveland. When he found out that we were visitors to town, he immediately engaged us in conversation about the sites of Cleveland; and, when he found out that we were visiting for an appointment at the hospital, he was a) concerned that we were OK, and b) grateful that we had come to Cleveland for care at his hometown's world class facility. Lastly, Mo sent us off with a Slyman's t-shirt to remember the place and because it was something that he could do to help us.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
West Bend, Wisconsin
“Too much to eat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

We went there because we heard they had the best corned beef. It may have not been the best, but it was the biggest. It's a little scary when you walk in, but it's a typical deli. Not the prettiest place but defiantly friendly waitresses that helped us out. The homemade horseradish sauce was perfect!

Visited May 2014
Cumming, Georgia, United States
“Worth the Venture”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Slyman's is off the beaten track, but well worth a taxi ride from downtown to enjoy the deliciously tender corned beef. Breakfast and lunch service only.

Visited May 2014