“Almost a Five” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Dessert
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Almost a Five”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Since we were in Cleveland to go to the R and R Hall of Fame we had to eat here based on the facts that my husband is of Polish descent and Michael Symon said that the pierogies are the best thing he ever ate.
We ordered the stuffed cabbage and the pierogies. The stuffed cabbage tasted just like the ones my Mother-in-Law made. The potato-cheese filling in the pierogies was the best I have ever tasted. The problem is that some of the pierogies had too little filling and one of mine had none.
If all of the pierogies had the amount of filling that my first one had, I would have given five stars.
Alas, they did not. No Filling=No Five Stars

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Cleveland, Ohio
“Authentic old world cooking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

If my grandmother had a restaurant, this would be it. Wonderful stuffed cabbage! Not recommended for calorie counters. Just have to enjoy yourself for 1 night and diet tomorrow.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Northfield
“ONLY order ethnic food when at Sokolowski's!!!!!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Four of us went to this ethnic (Polish) restaurant after a friend highly recommended it. After researching it, I knew that I didn't want anything too heavy so I opted for either a salad bar main entree or "Cheeseburger and fries" (no cheese, please), while everyone else had a full-course meal. The cafeteria-style service line was okay. I'm sure many people like the serve-yourself locations because there's no tipping involved, but my experience went from bad to worse. I ordered the hamberger/fries and had to go ask about it after most of my friends had nearly finished their dinner. The so-called "special order" took forever to make and was not done to my liking, nor did either item taste good. I asked for ketchup and mustard and the gentleman who brought out my entree never returned with my request. The meatloaf and stuffed cabbage entrees looked pretty good. The pierogi's were floating in a buttery looking substance, which was way-to-greasy for my friend's taste, let alone his arteries. I know that many people love this type of restaurant, but it's just not for me. I can only say that "When in Rome, eat like the Romans do!"...and DO NOT order anything that does not follow the ethnic food traditions. That was my first and last time there!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cleveland, Ohio
“How many pollacks does it take...?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My wife's family is polish and when we go to Sokolowski's I like it, but she is in heaven.

The stuffed cabbage (halupki) and the pierogi are standard and she has been surprised by a few unusual dishes from time to time.

Absolutely authentic polish food, made from scratch just the way she remembers he mom cooking it.

The place isn't fancy and the servers won't hover over you (it's a cafeteria afterall). It's not a place to go if you're watching your diet, as ethnic food is generally full of carbs and fat, but if you want a delicious meal and a fair price, this is your place.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lorain Ohio
“Grandma? Are you in the kitchen?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Was ther with a group f co-workedfor an evening out and OMG, was the food good! YOu want comfort food, this is the place to go. Cabbage rolls as big as a softball made me think my grandmother was in the kitchen. Mashed potatos piled high with butter or gravy (no lumps!) and the house specialty Salisbury steak.(which actuelly look like a little meatloaf) NOT the place to eat when oyu are on a adiet, but if you want a relaxing night out with friends you ahve to try this place.

• Visited June 2013