“Great location good food” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Heck's Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #124 of 1,684 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: American, Hamburgers
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: W. 30th St.
Oahu, Hawaii
“Great location good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I went for breakfast with a group of 5, everyone enjoyed their food. Large portions!
I also went back for dinner. It was very good.

Visited March 2013

zurich
“Not what it used to be!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Was keen to eat here on a visit to Cleveland, as I have memories of many good meals at Heck's - specifically the burgers. I was disappointed to find the restaurant has gone down hill. Two of our party ordered burgers cooked medium that came out raw - not rare - but literally raw, even though they are thinner patties than I've had there before. The burgers also did not taste as good as I remember them, even once they were reheated.

Also, my sister ordered the salmon addition to her salad - I totally understand its not an entree, but the portion of the fish was reminiscent of a McNugget - embarrassing small.

The service was friendly enough, but I'm sad to see this restaurant has lost a step or two from being the one time undisputed best burger joint in town. There is a reason restaurants in 'hopping' neighborhoods are empty on a Friday night.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
North Royalton, Ohio
“Decent place... yep, that 'bout it.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

While reviewers on one site seem to really dislike Heck's, another rating site is filled with praises for the place. I wasn't going to take a risk, but our intended other option had a long wait and burgers seem more appropriate anyway for Father's Day. I think I figured out why the rating discrepancies - expectation. If you expect the best burger you ever ate and perfect service you will HATE Heck's. If you expect a decent meal you'll really like it. I rated "average" because for us it was, although for the price maybe below average. Our family of 4 ate outside at about 1 pm. We ordered 4 burgers, one French toast and 1 iced tea. The bill after tax was $50.50. True to descriptions, the Ohio burger had a myriad of indiscernible herbs. The Rogue burger had a sour cream topping with some blue cheese crumbled in. The other (?) burger had mushrooms & swiss. Although we ordered two medium "but please be sure there's pink in mine" and one medium well, all 3 came out the same - no red, some pink. None of us finished them. The baklava French toast was good, but doesn't live up to its name. It's simply French toast with sweetened egg dip and a few plain walnut halves dropped on the plate. I had one bite that was tasty, but squishy/raw in the center. We did finish that plate, though. (I think I'll try to conjure up "baklava French toast" at home, but candy chopped walnuts and invent a honey syrup/glaze -- basically what I pictured Heck's would've done.) The fries were very similar to Five Guys, but less salt. Our water and tea ran out, and we waited inordinately long for the check even after the waiter knew we were finished. We enjoyed ourselves and ate a decent meal. Doubt we'll go back, though.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cleveland, Ohio
“Cleveland Landmark”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have never had a bad meal here. There is something for everyone on the menu and he house coffee is unique with a wonderful aroma and flavor. The best carrot cake ever!

Visited June 2012
Sandusky
“Quaint corner of the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is a darling corner bar with a beautiful garden room. It has a variety of sandwiches and dishes that change with the shopping at the nearby West Side Market. Good for a date night or a small group of friends. Try the mushroom ravioli. Lovely.

• Visited April 2013