“Lamb, chicken, beef, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 1,675 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Turkish, Vegetarian, Halal
cleveland, ohio
“Lamb, chicken, beef, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Have now been to this restaurant twice since it became Dervish Grill. Istanbul Grill that used to be in this location was good. In the end, it really couldn't compare to my then favorite restaurant, Anatolia's on the other side of town, for this type of food. Sorry, Anatolia's, Dervish is at least just as good and BETTER is some ways and for now is my favorite. For example, the grilled chicken at Anatolia's over the years has been occasionally dry. I have avoided it. It was MEMORABLY moist and savory at Dervish. The flavor of the marinated lamb and beef tickle your palate. Anatolia's has been cutting back on portions, but Dervish's portions (though not as large as Anatolia's were in the past) seem to be larger. Service is always good at Anatolia's. Service has been excellent both times at Dervish (but we did have the same waiter so maybe this is no coincidence). Yes, I will probably still go to Anatolia's when I have something else to do in that neighborhood, like a movie at the Cedar Lee, but I am tempted to favor Dervish for a dedicated dining experience. In fact, my second visit was to bring friends that love Anatolia's for this new experience at Dervish and my third visit is already scheduled this weekend with other friends.

The only critique I would give is the little nothing lettuce on the plates which is too big for a garnish and almost too small to be a side. The first time, blah. Fresher and better the second, so I think they are working on it. My advice is get rid of it and replace it with something else (ideally grilled), name it something Turkish to make it cute and excusable, or turn it into a real salad side.

If you like Mediterranean food, especially lamb or shish-kabob, do yourself a favor and go here. You will not be sorry.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Fun find in Cleveland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited Dervish on a Sunday evening after arriving in Cleveland for a short get away. Our food was delicious we ordered the cold appetizer sampler and the kabob sampler to share. There was more than enough for the two of us and it was nice to get a taste of lots of items. Would eat there again. Highly recommend.

Visited March 2014
“Great Overall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

First time to the Tremont restaurant, with the expectation that it'd be almost identical to Aladdin's. And I was pleasantly surprised. The atmosphere was inviting, with much fewer tables than I would have expected. The group of four came about 5 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon/early evening, of which we were one of only three or four tables present in the small, quaint restaurant.

We were served with smiles and hospitality immediately, and the service throughout our entire dinner was attentive and outstanding.

All four of the group loved their dinners. Started by splitting the mixed appetizer - hummus = outstanding. Baba ganush = the best I've had (way surpassing Middleburg's Mediterranean Market & Aladdin's), b/c it had just the right amount of smokiness, but not abundant like the others. Wine list not impressive, but the waiter was kind enough to let us sample the California and the Turkish wine before we decided on a bottle of their most full-bodied red.

Most the group had what the waiter recommended, but different dishes. While I had the Dervish Kabob (tender filet, very good indeed), the star of the table was definitely the Sultan's Delight (of which I would return for that dish alone). Falafel good too. I didn't taste the Dervish chicken salad, but it looked quite impressive as well. Prices beyond reasonable for the size & amount of dish received.

And finally, the baklava was superb. All full beyond comfort (with leftovers plenty to enjoy the next day), we decided to split a baklava for a bite of flavor. Deliciously moist. If we had one bit of room left to take another bite, more would have been ordered.

Only thing that disappointed me is that the appetizer (& complimentary sauces) came with a basket of bread. I would have preferred warm pita. The bread was good, but very dense making it heavy and too filling.

All four of group intend on returning, as well as recommending to friends/family.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portland, Oregon
“Good Turkish restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We came here for lunch on a Saturday (lunch menu is only from Monday - Friday; on weekends, dinner menu is used all day). We ordered zucchini pancakes and baba ganoush for appetizers. The baba ganoush was very delicious and had nice smoky flavor and the pita bread accompanying it was just right. We also ordered the Sultan's Delight and Stuffed Cabbage for entrees to share.

The menu described the Sultan's Delight as lamb cubes over eggplants and mozzarella. We all thought by the description that it would be over sliced eggplants but it came out to be over pureed eggplant - basically it is baba ganoush mixed with mozzarella - point is, we were disappointed. As much as we liked the baba ganoush, by entree time - we were "over-baba ganoushed". If the description on the menu should be more accurate, we would have ordered another item. Plus although it was tasty dish, there was very little lamb as well.

The service was friendly. However our waiter might have been new since he did not know the answers to our questions about the menu and had to defer to the manager. The manager was friendly and helpful.

We would recommend this restaurant and we would come back.

Visited March 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
“Love Dervish Grill - My favorite restaurant in Tremont!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

My husband and I had been long-time patrons of the restaurant of Istanbul Grill, the restaurant that was located here prior to Dervish Grill. We were skeptical at first and wondered if it would ever compare to the delicious food and joy we had experienced. We were blown away!!!! Love the food! Always great service and a selection of a handful of craft beers on tap. The mixed appetizer is great and has something for every taste! My favorite dish there is the Doner Kebab, but my husband loves the Sultan's Delight. I always get a giant side of the yogurt sauce to eat with my meal....I could just sit and eat it with a spoon all by itself! And the baklava....it is spectacular! My husband is somewhat of a baklava connoisseur and he loves the baklava here! And the perfect compliment to a wonderful meal - finish it off with a rich Turkish coffee. They even did a Groupon last year. I bought it in a heartbeat!

• Visited January 2014