“Best conference hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Best conference hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

I've been to this hotel several times for different conferences and love it every single time! The hotel location is great within the Cleveland Clinic and a short drive from downtown Cleveland and nice restaurants at little Italy and Cleveland heights. The hotel is very grand with granite everywhere and very well appointed, clean and spacious rooms. Only downside is that parking is valet only and the pillows are extremely soft to the point where you wake up with neck pain every morning. On the positive side, the separate shower and tub in the bathroom is great! The best part though is the main conference room. It is just the best for either a review course or CME meeting. It can get pretty "rough" in some areas not far from the hotel, so if you are not familiar with Cleveland, always check with concierge or take a taxi to where you are going before wandering around on your own. I've seen significant improvements around the city over the past few years and Cleveland does have many nice places and a recent modern and progressive vibe to it, especially the University circle area. If you are on a budget just try eating at the hospital cafeteria which is just a short walk across the skyway on the 3rd floor and opens until around 11:00 PM.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

263 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
Detroit, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

7 of us traveled to Cleveland to stay at the InterContinental Suites for July 17th weekend to party (Girls Weekend). We are a group of 40+ women so we aren't the hall running type of partiers. We booked three suites, which included microwaves, fridges, sofa bed, etc., and had booked three months in advance. When we arrived at the Suites, we were told that we had been upgraded to the IC Hotel and Conference Center a few blocks down. It was supposedly a higher class hotel. We went to check in and were informed that there were no sofa beds, microwaves, or fridges in the rooms. Further, these were not suites but regular hotel rooms. They were able to put on all on the same floor, one room across from the other and the third down the hall. They also gave us two fridges that worked and one microwave (third fridge out of order). Because we came and went so often, there was a lot of door closing, which was loud because doors slam on their own. Second day there, we received a call from front desk saying that neighbor complained of door slaming and hall noises. Come to find out, they had put our group, along with a bachelor party, right next to an elderly medical patient receiving treatment!

Hotel nice, but restaurant just okay. Guest services doesn't think before they place you. We plan to stay at the Suites again, if we go back to Cleveland. Hopefully they won't give away our rooms again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
SAn Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

One usually gets high quality from the Intercon chain, however the property at the Cleveland Clinic is not helping the brand maintain its excellence. This was my third time staying here and I continue to be disappointed. The desk staff should be working at a Holiday Inn. I experience long delays in checking in, no courtesy, and zero assistance. They are "working" not servicing. I was on hold for at least 8 minutes calling the front desk to ask a question....

As for the hotel's restaurant, which also had high ratings, I was hugely disappointed. A classic example of a restaurant over-saucing and over-doing everything. The food was terrible. The saving grace was the Naan bread....but that is it!

I realize there are not many options in that part of Cleveland...which is why I keep going back. But do not have high expectations if you are planning to stay here. Expect a Marriott or Sheraton level of room quality...and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
cleveland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

I was in Cleveland to attend a conference being held at this hotel. I made my reservations on the phone and was quoted a room rate. When I tried to check in I was told that I was not in the Intercontinental on Carnegie avenue but in their satellite suites hotel (a few blocks away). I had been told that I was in the hotel where the conference was (Carnegie avenue main hotel), something I was adamant about. The receptionists not only would not provide me with a room at the promised rate, but did not offer to get a manager or to contact the reservations specialists to see what had happened and what could be done. I did get free ride to the suites building. Upon finally reaching the manager later that day, I was offered a room at the main hotel at the promised rate - but by this time I had unpacked etc. Overall this was badly and unprofessionally handled; the people at the reception desk should have known to look into it further and try to find a solution to this.

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

I stay here on many occasions and the location and service of the staff is suberb. Rooms are spacious and always very clean. I wouldn't stay anywhere else when in Cleveland.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Boston, MA USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2008

I attended a conference at the hotel. Both the conference facilities and the room accomodations were excellent and well-suited to the group. Some of us used the Skyway to get coffee at the Clinic in the morning. We were advised to not wander off the CC campus, We went to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame via party bus one night; that was a treat. The hotel's bar had excellent tapas and cocktails and we ended our early evenings there.

• Liked — Comfortable
  • Disliked — Most guests here for treatment at Cleveland Clinic or with a loved one while being treated
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Overland Park,KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

If you are looking for a clean and quiet hotel downtown, that is close to the Cleveland Clinic, and you want to pay $225 per night, then this is your place. Rooms are very nice and big. Nice hotel overall.

Stayed November 2008

Been to InterContinental Hotel Cleveland? Share your experiences!