“Loved the rooms!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Alden, New York
“Loved the rooms!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

This review would be a 5 if it wasn't for a few small things: the ironing board is a tiny little tabletop one. I pack neatly, but still need to iron things almost every time I travel. I would definitely recommend to the hotel a full ironing board. Secondly, housekeeping. They start cleaning rooms early to get rooms ready for new arrivals, which is great. What isn't great is that every time they open the door to a room to get something off of their cart, they let the door slam close and it is LOUD! If they either kept the doors open or didn't let them slam shut, this would have been a 5. One other thing, which I know they can't control, the weather. It knocked out the satellite service to the TV's. Our evening plans had been canceled due to the weather, so we were going to just stay in and watch some TV, but we couldn't for about 3 hours. When I called to inquire, just to make sure it was the weather, I was just told, yup, it's the weather. However, the movies were working. I think it would have been nice if they comped a movie or something for the inconvenience. I understand it wasn't their fault, but working in the service industry, you have to have backups for things like that.
Now for the good - the rooms were great. The beds were soft and cozy. The bathrooms are nice and spacious. Everything was so clean. We ordered room service which was reasonably priced, quickly delivered and the service was great. An IPod/IPhone docking station was on the night stand with a current 8 pin adapter, not the old ones. The seating area was nice, the windows are huge and the draperies were nice. The carpet was clean, everything was clean. I really enjoyed staying here and will again the next time we are in Cleveland.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
kknoll, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Dree L,

Thank you for feedback!

I am sorry you found the ironing board too small. I understand how a larger sized board could have been of more use to you. In terms of Housekeeping being loud each time they open and close doors, that is definitely something we can correct and I do apologize that you were affected by this. Additionally, though the weather is out of our control I understand your suggestions about having some sort of back up.

On the other hand, I am happy you loved the rooms. I will be sure to share your feedback with our room service staff. We are excited that you have decided to stay with us in the future and we look forward to making your stay even more pleasurable the next time around.

263 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
Clermont, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

First the good...

The room was very clean, bordering on spotless. There were a few small scuff marks on the wall under the window and a couple of small dings in the baseboards. Nothing that affected us at all.

The HVAC worked well, although the heat seemed to creep up in the evening, and we had to turn on the AC in the middle of the night.

The bed was a little harder than we prefer, but of high quality and with nice linens.

Tons of hot water and great shower pressure.

Nightlight and lighted makeup mirrow in bathroom are a nice touch.

Very nice toiletries in generous sizes.

Generously sized and reasonably thick and soft towels.

Greated immediately by valets, and car was always waiting by the time we arrived in the lobby if we called ahead.

Lounge staff ranged from pleasant to very guest oriented.

The bad...

We didn't get an ambassador upgrade, which is supposed to be guaranteed. Not at all happy about that. The clerk who checked us in seemed very confused (trainee?). One of the reasons I pay for the status is for the upgrade. We had booked an Executive Room, so lounge access was not an upgrade.

There was no dedicated Ambassador check-in area. Not that it mattered as there was no line, but it is a nice touch that makes us feel like highly valued guests.

The lounge was often out of things long before the serving time ended.

No daily newspaper was offered or delivered.

Water was not replenished.

No in-room gift.

We called the front desk and asked if they had a corkscrew we could borrow. We offered to come get it. They said they didn't, and that room service would need to bring one. Fifteen minutes later it hadn't arrived, and on a hunch I looked in the cabinet with the coffee maker--there was a corkscrew waiting to be used. Front desk should have known and informed us.

Bottom line, the biggest problem was the pretty much complete lack of recognition as an Ambassador Club guest and that we didn't receive many of the amenities that we should have. Disappointing.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
kknoll, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Lovescabs,

I am happy you found your room to be very clean and that the HVAC system was to your liking. Though the bed was harder than you would prefer I am pleased you found it of high quality and that the linens were nice.

I am also pleased that you appreciated all the toiletries and bathroom amenities that we offered, that valet services were efficient and that the lounge staff was pleasant.

I do apologize that you did not receive your ambassador upgrade and will look into this matter. An upgrade is usually based upon availability so I will check to see what hindered you from receiving an upgrade. I appreciate your feedback about creating an ambassador line as that is something we could definitely look into.

The lounge should always be stocked and there is no excuse that amenities were not available to you when needed, including the in-room amenities especially as an ambassador club member.

I am deeply apologetic that we dropped the ball as this is not our usual standard of service. We try our very hardest to fully meet our guests expectations and I apologize that we did provide a better, more memorable stay for you.

I do thank you for your review and for being an Ambassador Club Member. Your concerns have not gone unheard. We look forward to providing a higher level of service for you the next time you come to Cleveland.

Jordan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Hotel is renovated really nicely. Other reviews complained of rude staff and bad service but I think those people are the 'lemons'. Immediately upon arrival, our bellhop welcomed us by opening our car doors for us, loading our bags and giving us lots of tips on the city and insider ideas. Check in was quick and smooth and the staff were polite. We were on the ninth floor right behind the elevators -- based on previous reviews I was very nervous about this due to noise - but we never heard them at all!! No noise from other guests either. The room was very spacious and clean and had a lot of modern and updated amenities. Donna at the North Coast Cafe was by far the best staff member we interacted with during our trip. Excellent service, lovely lady all around. Go and see her for breakfast!! You won't regret it. The decor of the hotel looks a bit old world stone art in the lobbies etc but it is still so well done :) The front desk staff gave us excellent suggestions on things to see and where to eat. This hotel is a bit outside of the "happening" area and you couldn't really walk but the packages they offer are well worth it. The only disappointment for us was Table 45. High prices for small portions and the food is just average. Decor was great but everything else was far below what we expected. I highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
kknoll, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Icessielc,

Thank you for taking some time to share your experience of our hotel. I am very pleased to know that our renovation efforts were to your liking. We take pride in offering excellent customer service to our guests and so it makes me happy that you experienced a high level of service from our staff. I will be sure to share your feedback.

I am also pleased you enjoyed the space, cleanliness and modern amenities in your room and that you had such a great experience at North Coast Café.

I do apologize if you felt the food at Table 45 was overpriced. We do research of other such commodities and try to keep our prices as competitive as possible. Nevertheless, I do acknowledge and apologize that you had this experience in our restaurant.

Again, I thank you for sharing your experience with us and we are delighted that you would stay with us again. We look forward to the possibility of making it an even more memorable experience for you the next time around.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

My 18 year old daughter and I stayed here in Mid-February while she auditioned at The Cleveland Institute of Music. The hotel is beautifully appointed, and well staffed. We knew going in that there was a valet fee for our car, and in some ways, it was nice not having to find parking as it was snowing every day we were there. The room was very nice -- the bathroom in particular was nice, except for the light that was out over the mirror. We had room service for breakfast our first morning and it came promptly and was just what we ordered.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
kknoll, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Skshepperd,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We are pleased you found the hotel to be beautiful appointed, quiet and convenient. I hope your daughters audition was successful with the well-known Cleveland Institute of Music and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,
Brunswick, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Due to a very early Clinic appointment and an impending snowstorm decided to spend the night before the appointment at the hotel. Very impressed with the beautiful, extremely clean comfortable room. Staff was very friendly, courteous, and helpful. The food ordered with room service was outstanding as was the lady who helped me with the order and the gentlemen who delivered it. I cannot recommend this hotel enough and am certainly looking forward to staying again sometime.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Nancy N,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear you were very impressed with our clean and comfortable room, our helpful staff as well as your room service order. Your recommendation of the hotel is very much appreciated by all of us.

I look forward to welcoming you back as our guest soon.

Warm regards,
Elmore, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Got 2 rooms for a girlfriends bachelorette party. Easy to find, but confused a few with the IC Suites just up the road. All staff was knowledgable and friendly from the valet to the front desk. The rooms where recently updated and we were all in awe of their space and beauty! No one could stop talking about the glass shower! The beds where super comfortable and everything was so clean and orderly. Ordered room service and it was great! The wings were meaty and tasty! A little pricey, but for being late at night, well worth it. The bartender (James?) in the restaurant was lots of fun and knew what he was doing. Great location and very quiet, we almost seemed like the only ones on our floor! Only complaint that we had was that both mornings, housekeeping knocked on our doors at 8:30am (on the weekend mind you). I work in a hotel and know that they know who is staying and who is leaving. Knowing the first day we were staying, they should have waited a little longer. Other than that, it was a great experience and look forward to going back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
kknoll, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear countrygirl2887,

Thank you for sharing your positive experiences at the hotel during your recent trip to Cleveland. We have a wonderful team at the hotel and thank you for mentioning our bartender, James. We are also pleased you enjoyed our recently renovated guest rooms.

We look forward to having you as our guest again.
Curtice, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

The facilities at the Intercontinental are outstanding for meetings and conventions. The staff was very polite and saw to every need of the attendees. The hotel itself is a little out of the way for entertainment and eateries in Cleveland but the hotel arranged for shuttle services to take our groups where we needed to be. If there is any glitch at all, it's that the valet service does not have an effective communication system and as a result the service is slow and in my case, they forgot to get the car completely. One thing to keep in mind though is that the hotel is connected to Cleveland Clinic and many guests are not in the mood to hear late night revelry of convention attendees. It just depends on your crowd. Overall, the rooms were clean and modern, the service was great, and the facilities were top-notch.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
kknoll, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear PfeiffersOnTheGo,

Thanks so much for posting a review. I really appreciate you taking the time from your busy schedule to share your experience with others. We appreciate the fact you have recognized our hotel as an outstanding establishment for meetings and conventions. Your thoughtful remarks are very helpful in allowing us to continue to deliver the most excellent experiences for all of our guests.

We hope to see you again soon!
Kim

Been to InterContinental Hotel Cleveland? Share your experiences!