“Dirty bathroom, poor service, overpriced” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #11 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Dirty bathroom, poor service, overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Booked this because of prior stays at Intercontinental properties. This was worst of the bunch. Even at $300 a night I got in and they told me they only had handicapped room. I told them I don't want bathroom like that. After making me wait at desk 10 minutes -and it was midnight- they "found" another room but it wasn't a king bed. I said fine. Got up to room and it too was handicapped but as I walked in I saw bottles of shampoo on bathroom look and water all over. Walked out and back down to desk. They found another double bed room. After trying to wash up, found that the undersides of both hand towels were filthy. The water glasses were dirty and there was a very odd sprayer attached to the toilet plumbing. The same kind f sprayer you see at kitchen sinks but this one ran from the water hookup under the toilet and the spray hose was sitting on the toilet lid. Very odd. At checkout they asked how my stay was. I told them. Thy didn't say "sorry" or they will talk to someone or anything. They just said there is your bill. I stay in hotels every month. This was really bad. I would sooner stay at a Motel 6 than this place.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ExecutiveOffice_AS, Administrative Assistant at InterContinental Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear John L,

Thank you very much indeed for the feedback regarding your recent stay. We are truly sorry that you did not have an excellent experience. The issues raised are unacceptable and are not reminiscent of our warm hospitality and service ethic. Please contact me at ashley.sewell@ihg.com so I may obtain additional details about your experience. Once again our most humble apologies for the inconvenience.

262 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Hotel was great in pretty much every way. Immaculately clean rooms, comfortable, yet chic design, extremely spacious bedroom and bathroom areas, and nice and quiet. It is located on the edge of downtown, which is optimal for less traffic, yet it is close enough for a quick taxi or bus ride to major attractions. The only negative is the mandatory 40 dollar a day valet parking, but with everything else this hotel has going for it, the price is worth it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ExecutiveOffice_AS, Administrative Assistant at InterContinental Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear MollyPgh,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experiences at the hotel. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed the accommodations and prime location! We take great pride in providing our guests with a 5-star experience. We apologize for any inconveniences you experienced with valet parking being mandatory and I must apologize for the information you were given in regards to the price. Valet parking at our property is $24 a day and since we are unable to provide self-parking as an option, our guests have the ability to park in any of the nearby parking garages if they feel the valet parking charge is not a value for money. I’m glad you know you can count on us for a clean and comfortable stay and hope we can welcome you back and serve you here again soon.

Regards,
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed here during a business trip in June. First time at an Intercontinental Hotel and was impressed with the hotel. The room was very spacious with a modern bathroom with tub and separate shower. Enjoyed the breakfast buffet with omelette bar.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
ExecutiveOffice_AS, Administrative Assistant at InterContinental Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Sivetta O,

Many thanks for the fantastic review of your stay with us in Cleveland. We are pleased to hear that we were able to give you a great first impression of InterContinental Hotels. On your next visit, be sure to stop by Table 45 for dinner and check out our extensive sushi menu. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Last thursday 15th., was Cleveland Clinic´s Guest-House closing date. I believe a student facility of some kind is going to be buit. I went by hoping to be able to say good bye to Mona Hana, Front Office Supervisor. She was, as always, warmly and efficiently managing a difficult situation in Arabic, language I realized she is also fluent in.
My husband and I come from México and stayed at the Guest-House last may. He had a procedure in preparation to open heart surgery las August 30th. Unfortunately, he had a small clog and stroke, but fortunately it was in ICU unit, so it was rapidly attended. We are now in rehab and hope he will regain all his speech abilities sometime in the near future.
I am staying at the Inter-continental Conference Center. They have honored our price and reservation dates. Transition was difficult, specially at the most difficult moments. Front Office´s have been caregivers for me, and they have really exceeded my expectations. Many have gone out of their way to help me at the hotel and I could not name them all at this moment, but for now, I do want to specially mention two people I now consider my friends: Colleen and Helene. The Director of the front office was very caring also.
I missed not being able to say good-bye to Mona Hana. Mona in Spanish means nice, but she was definitely much more than nice to me. She is very efficient and goes out of her way to help. Her true- caring concern regarding my husband´s condition, after 3 months really exceeds every expectacion. Families, we are very important caregivers for the patients of Cleveland Clinic, and every-day, just to see Mona´s caring smile and your soothing voice helped me be a better caregiver.
Thank you, Mona; I have been alone and you were there for me, and I SINCERELY HOPE THAT THE CLEVELAND CLINIC does not loose such an outstanding caregiver.
Hildegard M. Silva

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
ExecutiveOffice_AS, Administrative Assistant at InterContinental Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Hildegard M,

Thank you for sharing your experiences and writing such a thoughtful, heartfelt review in regards to the service that you have received over the years. We have a wonderful team who often work with guests during stressful times and take great pride in making their stay one last thing to worry about. Thank you for acknowledging a few that have made your experience amazing! I have passed on your comments to all of our colleagues and will send the three colleagues you mentioned a special thank you on behalf of the hotel. We are certainly thrilled to know that you continue to enjoy our services and that you took the time to post your positive comments. Wishing you and your family all the best. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We arrived for a one night stay. Inexplicably, only one of our party of 2 was offered an upgrade to a concierge room, because his room had 1 twin beds, as I understood it. When I was checking on with a different employee, I was not offered an upgrade although my assigned room was the same. I asked if my room was a standard room as I could see it was two twins - as opposed to a king sized bed. The employee said twin beds were standard. So there is no reason only one of us should have been offered the upgrade - given that we all paid the same rate and none of us was a frequent guest of the chain. Some consistency in approach would have been welcome. Our associate had a complimentary breakfast buffet while the remainder of our group had to pay the fairly large sum of $20 for a breakfast buffet.

The rooms were adequate, with 2-3 exceptions. It is very odd to have the standard configuration be two twin beds. This only would be workable for single people or business travelers. Even for me as a single room occupant, a twin bed is not a preferred choice as I would definitely opt for a double or king bed. Then inside the closet, there was a gross discoloration of the paint, I.e., it needed to be repainted, and the light fixture cover was falling off. The light fixture cover was only staying on because the closet shelf was underneath it. The worst aspect or the room was that the hallway closet light would go on in the middle of the night if you walked by, given that it had a motion sensor and the door was with louver openings/ slats. This is the worst-designed closet I can ever recall seeing in a room. The last thing you want is your bed lit up in the night with the hallway closet light based on a motion sensor in an open slat closet. Luckily the light went off fairly quickly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ExecutiveOffice_AS, Administrative Assistant at InterContinental Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear georgierocks,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I apologize for any shortcomings you encountered during your stay with us. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and I am sorry that you were displeased with the choice of room types available. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. I am pleased to share with you that our guest rooms will be completely renovated at the end of the year including the painting of all rooms and installation of new light fixtures. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the IC Cleveland. The hotel was extremely clean, comfortable and the rooms very well appointed.

I especially appreciated the fact that my room was turned down for me with having to ask for it. Nice touch!

Manya in the Intercontinental Club was very kind and helpful and went out her way to make me feel welcome. She helped make my stay extra special.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ExecutiveOffice_AS, Executive Office Administrative Assistant at InterContinental Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear USA_Admirer,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received great service. It’s something our staff takes great pride in, so we value your feedback. We will be sure to pass your kind words along to Manya and our turndown staff. Thanks again for staying with us and we hope we can welcome you back to Cleveland soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stay here frequently and the service at this property is outstanding. On a recent visit, Suazaane at the front desk and the guys at the front doors were exceptionally proficient at getting things done. Table 45 is an excellent resturant for lunch or dinner. Rooms are the top floor can have a nice view of the lake. Rooms are exceptionally quiet with good a/c systems.

Room Tip: Top floors can have good views of the lake and city