“Fantastic hotel with one critical glitch” 3 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chester, New Jersey
“Fantastic hotel with one critical glitch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I had to travel on business to the Cleveland Clinic, and for the most part this location is just about perfect. It's proximity to the hospital - you can't ask for more with access to the skywalk off the 3rd floor. My room on the 9th floor was comfortable and clean, I slept very well, and having the option of using the soaking tub or separate shower isn't one I usually see traveling on business. The gym was well equipped for a hotel gym. The lobby amenities were average in my opinion. The gift shop was nothing to write home about, the restaurant was a one-night-only stop with ok food and pretty slow service, and the Cafe had an OK buffet as well (but breakfast was inclusive with my company rate). In comparison with the Intercontinental in San Jose, Costa Rica with it's elaborate buffet and four restaurants it didn't compare in that regard.

Now my colleague down the hall and I had a few minor glitches that weren't a big deal. My minifridge wasn't cooling... which was no big deal since you can fill your water bottle in the gym from the cooler as opposed to paying the overinflated in-room price for a new bottle. And my colleague had TV and plumbing issues. But what hurt us both as business travelers was not being able to gain access to the internet for the entirety of our 3 day stay. Couldn't get access through the unsecured wireless, and would get literally 3 minutes of commectivity and then a long drop using the ethernet cable. Note that while working at the Cleveland Clinic I had no issues getting on their guest network. This went on for the entirety of the stay. I reported the issue to hotel staff and management every day for tracking purposes (as well as the AT&T support number provided). We were told the first night that there were known issues, the second night tht there were sporadic issues, and the last night that we were the only ones to report an issue. I've never had firewall issues or outages like this to date.

Being that not having access to the net significantly hindered my work at the hospital, I'd really have to consider breaking my pattern of staying with familiar properties and trying a downtown hotel if I ever return to Cleveland. We ended up going into town for dinner every night after the one stop at the hotel restaurant anyway, and the distance down Carnegie Ave isn't that far.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
kknoll, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Dear borisow,

Thank you for taking time to share you experiences during your recent visit to the hotel. Recently, the hotel experienced internet connectivity issues that continued sporadically for several days and has since been resolved.

We certainly apologize for the inconvenience this caused during your busy schedule and understand having interent is an important for everyone. We would appreciate the opportunity to have you as our guest again during your trip to Cleveland. If you would still like a change of venue, may i suggest The InterContinental Suites Hotel, which just completed a $12M renovation and a new restaurant.

Please let me know how I may be of assistance during your next stay.
Kim Knoll
Business Travel Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Korean first
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

I needed a place to spend the night while my father underwent and recovered from emergency surgery at the Cleveland Clinic and, rather that drive around an unfamiliar city that night, I chose to stay at the InterContinental Hotel attached to the Clinic skywalk system. The only available room was on the club floor and at $216 a night ($250 out the door), it seemed way pricey. But, and I cannot believe my fingers are typing these words, it was a bargain! I checked in at the earliest possible time, 3 pm, and immediately discovered a large, comfortable room awaited me. Beautiful bathroom, plush bed linens, functional desk, large flat-screen TV, nice view and quiet. The Clinic pager family members receive during surgery worked at the hotel and I was able to monitor my Dad's progress from the club lounge. Ah...The Club Lounge. Access was included in the price of the room and featured: High tea, cocktail hour with snacks, internet stations, daily newpapers, huge full breakfast the next morning, late check out, a terrific view and incredibly friendly staffers waiting to take care of me. What a treat! The stress of waiting for a loved one to come through a potentially life-threatening surgical procedure was greatly diminished knowing that I was being pampered just a short, safe, covered walk away in the InterContinental. Not cheap, but a real bargain under the circumstances. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: To take full advantage of the club amenties, be sure to check in at the earliest possible moment and...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Findlay, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

Before I begin let me share that I am not the kind of reviewer who complains about every little things. I think if you read my other reviews you will see that. However, in the case of this hotel I feel I need to share several things that we experienced that others should be aware of. I choose this property based upon other reviews here at Trip Advisor and must admit we were disappointed. We stayed here to nights while a friend of ours was having open heart surgery.

Let me start with the "good".
First, it is convientently located next to the heart center with a covered walkway to it.
Second, it is very clean except for a couple of stains on the carpet in our room.
Third, it is safe which is important since the clinic is not in a very good area.
Fourth, the room was large with two comfortable chairs, comfortable beds and pillows, and a large TV.
Fifth, the lobby area is very nice with plenty of couches, chairs, tables, etc.

Now for some of the things that were not so good.
First, customer service is my biggest complaint.
I should have realized that I was in trouble when I called to make the reservation. The registration process went fine but requested an email confirmation. It didn't arrive so I called back. At that point I got a very impolite woman who informed me that their computers were down and I could access my reservation on their web page. I tried it and it wouldn't work so I call back. She was very impatient and cut me off several times while I tried to explain the situation saying over and over, "Just stay with me". I never was able to get a confirmation.
Upon arrive I was greated with by a very pleasent person, after that it was all down hill. The other staff didn't even acknowlge my presence when I walked through the lobby even when I said hello, the bellmen ignored me and where standing around together talking or texted on their phones. The cleaning staff also ignored me. For a property who rates itself as a world class hotel they should realized their guests expect world class service.
Restraunt: We went down to have dinner at one of their two restraunts. Since we weren't very hungry we decided to eat in their cafe instead of their formal dining room. It was closed for the evening so we were forced to eat in their formal dining room. The prices were very expensive, the food was average, the quantities were small, and the service was poor. The four of us ordered and they forgot to bring my food with the others, They never apologized and the others in my party were done eating when my food finally came. I would suggeste you go into the heart center to eat. They have two food courts that serve a variety of foods at reasonable prices. Since I am an early riser I went down to the lobby to get coffee the first morning at 7:15. They informed me that they remove the coffee at 7:00 am and I would have to purchase a cup at the cafe. I believe that when you are paying $200 dollars plus a night they could at least give you a cup of coffee :).
Room: When we went to our room the first night there were room service dishes setting in the hallway. When we checked out two days later they were still there. The second day when we returned to our room we found that they had removed our old towels but had failed to replace them with clean ones. Not what you would expect from a world class hotel :)
Parking: The only parking that is available is valet at $24.00 per night. Their sister property down the street only charges $16.00. When I mentioned this at checkout the only response I got was that that was their rate.

Obviously, I am not impressed with the service at this property and would not recommend it for the reasons stated above. I am not sure why my experience was so different than other reviewers. Maybe the staff was just having a couple of bad days. My suggestion is to stay at a property down town that offers shuttle services to the hospital or rent a cab for $12.00 to take you back and forth. Even with a cost of $24.00 round trip you will save over $100.00 per night and the ride is only 15 minutes.

As I stated in the beginning, I am not one to complain without due cause. I feel you should be aware of my experience so you can make an informed decison. I have stayed at Comfort Inns that had better customer service at a fraction of the cost.

Good luck if you decide to stay here.

Room Tip: Don't book online. If you call them direct they will offer a better price if you have someone wh...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

We stayed the night before a clinic visit. It was safe and clean and very reasonably priced, in particular when we found we did not need to stay for further medical proceedures the concierge arranged a late departure. They understood why we were there and were accommodating. It was sensible and logical. We had Internet coverage most of the time by wifi and good AT&T reception otherwise.

This is not a resort it is associated with a clinic and is beautiful, clean, gracious and the food was great (we just had breakfast but there was a fantastic smoothies on the breakfast menu along with a sinful display of delicious pastries and good coffee). There is a decided international feel.

All in all it was a really good part of a very difficult trip. It provided peaceful rest after travel and before trying to interact with health care professionals

Room Tip: Concierge might be worth the extra as breakfast and drinks came to the same amount
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

I have stayed here twice while visiting the Cleveland Clinic and once at The Suites. The Suites are fine, but the convenience and quality of the InterContinental make it well worth the extra money, especially in the middle of winter in Cleveland-- this is simply the way to go in my opinion. A helpful staff, and quality restaurants actually make it a pleasure to stay here, and usually under not so exciting circumstances. I have family who stay here all the time and find it to be wonderful. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Look on the internet for specials. They can be very competitive...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Logan, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

The hotel and conference center provided a beautiful setting for a meeting I attended. Check-in took about 10-15 minutes, even with three people working at the desk. As I went to enter my room, a couple that checked in before me was awaiting assistance. They were given a key to a room that was occupied. Baggage check and valet were both lined up 5-6 people deep when our conference let out. When I got home and had time to look at my bill, I realized that my bill was incorrect. It included charges for the restaurant that weren't mine.

My room was quite nice, with a large tub AND a separate shower. Large ceramic tile lined the walls around both, and frosted glass door and half-wall on the shower. The bathroom also provided a vanity mirror, scale, and other amenities that would be more expected, ie., hair dryer, toiletries, etc. There's a telephone for emergencies right next to the commode.

My carpet did have a small stain on it. Otherwise, the room was perfect. My bed was super comfortable with lots of pillows, and more bedding in the dresser and closets. The room came with a safe, stocked mini-bar for fee, and great climate control.

Petty details: Internet access was $9.95/night payable by credit card only. A friend in another room said she was given the option of billing her room for the internet access. Valet service is pretty much your only option unless you're familiar with the area parking lots. That costs $15 per night. A can of pop will cost anywhere between $2-4, depending on where you purchase it. Gift shop - $2, a can of pop to go from the restaurant - $3, and from your in-room mini-bar- $4.

The hotel obviously provides lodging and conferences for many dignities. Secret Service and the police were securing the hotel for Ben Bernanke from the US Federal Reserve when I arrived. Perhaps that explains some of the problems at check-in. I will be contacting them to get my bill corrected, and sincerely don't expect that they will give me a hard time about it.

Room Tip: I had a nice view on the rear side of the hotel. Either way, I'm guessing all guests can hear t...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

We've stayed here each of the 4 times my husband has been seen at the Cleveland Clinic - and have enjoyed this hotel each time. In winter, the cross walk to the Clinic is invaluable. The rooms are MOST comfortable. The staff is wonderful, many going out of their way to accomodate ill patients being seen at the Clinic.. Our recent, 4th, 2-day visit, we opted for the "Club Level" rooms (floors 12,14,15). Hostess/concierge Antoinette Peterson greeted us by name each time & went out of her way to be helpful to everyone, even when it got crowded on a Monday evening. The morning hostess was just as helpful.Considering restaurant prices, it was worth every penny. Breakfast, tea service and cocktail hour each offered a great buffet/ drinks. Cleveland has a lot to offer-we've enjoyed the Symhony in the stunning Severance Hall and the incredible Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. The Clinic itself has an amazing public art collection, fee-free ATM's, SUPER-QUIET top floor and outdoor city/lake viewing platform for resting/reading. Great for families accompanying patients.

Room Tip: You might want to be on the side not facing the Cleveland Clinic as ambulances and helicopters are l...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental Hotel Cleveland? Share your experiences!