“Convenient for Cleveland Clinic Visit” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Michigan
“Convenient for Cleveland Clinic Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Have stayed here a dozen or so times, all in conjunction with trips to the Cleveland Clinic. On this most recent stay, while I was checking in, another customer was at the front desk complaining that they had not received clean towels for several days, and there was only one washcloth placed in their room for 3 people. I made a mental note of this, and checked in my room. Only one washcloth. The other customer was being quizzed by the front desk staff: "did you report this to the front desk?" Customer: "no, I reported it to the housekeeping staff" desk clerk: "well you should have reported it to the front desk" Customer: "OK, I am reporting it to you now". This seems ridiculous. I would expect at this level of hotel that employees in the department involved should be empowered to handle complaints and remedy the situation.

I have been visiting this hotel for several years and used to think it was fantastic. Although now I find it getting a bit worn and dated. I have noticed on more recent visits that the bedding is growing thin and sometimes even torn. There is always a faint smell of body odor on the room floors and in the guest rooms. Not sure if this is a sanitary issue related to the clientele or a cleanliness issue of the hotel itself. Still a fine choice if you need to visit the Clinic, but for other stays to Cleveland -- especially if you need to be downtown, there are other fine choices such as the Marriott Key Center, Renaissance, or the Ritz Carlton, which are all generally less expensive than this hotel.

I am an ambassador member and usually get an upgrade to a Jr Suite which isn't much more than an average room with a very small sitting room. I almost prefer the regular rooms. This hotel seems due for a renovation and update. If that happens I will be glad to continue staying here. If it does not happen soon I will probably go with some of the other choices in the area more often.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Korean first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

I can't even begin to understand all of the positive reviews here. My boss and I stayed at the Intercontinental in Cleveland for a business conference. Both of our rooms had horribly stained carpets, both hallways smelled consistently like a school gym locker, her toilet broke the first night and my showerhead was broken the entire time. When I opened the rolled up washcloth, it had a large piece of toothpaste. Some days you would get enough towels, and other days not. The area surrounding the Cleveland Clinic is ghetto, so you're really not able to explore unless you drive. The hotel staff doesn't really want to call you a cab, they'd rather set you up in one of the hotel limos, so leaving can get expensive. We usually stay at nicer hotels for our conferences, but honestly, this place was in worse shape than the last Travelodge I stayed at. Aviod this one at all costs!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Saint Pete Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

Not sure about the regular rooms here. We came here and got a regular room. Service not so good. Somehow we discovered that the club level rooms had a breakfast, high tea and happy hour with heavy hors d'ouvres with a living room, computers and an endless supply of sodas, water etc....all for about $75 more. What we didn't expect was the great people who work at the club...like Anntoinette Peterson and Rafael. They are the glue that brought different people (and I'm talking different people from different nations...as we were all here for medical issues) together. We were here for a little over a week and we feel like everyone is family. For that reason I would definitly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Columbiana, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

My daughter and I stayed here one night while my husband had surgery. Though a bit pricey ($199) , it is within the boundaries of the Cleveland Clinic and was a very pleasant respite after a very very long day. It is so convenient to everything at the hospital via the Skywalk and actually just a short distance from downtown Cleveland by car or cab. The room was lovely, bathroom gorgeous with plenty of towels, washcloths, lotion etc. What was nice to know was that if I was needed quickly, I could be at my husband's side within minutes. Worth every penny for that peace of mind. I'd stay here again if a necessary overnite happened.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Chillicothe, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

We stayed at the InterContinental Hotel on May 31, 2011 in connection with a visit to Cleveland Clinic. The hotel is very convenient to the clinic. A pedestrian bridge with easy access from the hotel connects the two, and the clinic is just across the street if one would prefer to walk outside. Accommodations are excellent. The room was clean and comfortable. One objection, only one wash cloth was provided. Yes, we could have called for another, but why not put at least two in the bathroom? Parking (valet) involves a $24.00 charge.The room was $199.00 per night, so when taxes and parking are added, the place is not inexpensive. All in all we had a pleasant stay. The hotel's restaurant Table 45 is very good. We would return if needing accommodations convenient to the clinic.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Charlottesville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

The people were friendly. The room was fine. Two out ten nights the air cooler did not operate so the room became hot and stuffy. We could not sleep. At $200 a night, that is unacceptable. One night I can excuse, but 2 nights is a problem pattern. The restaurant is absurdly priced. $14 for a Belgium waffle + $4 for bacon + $4 for coffee is ABSURD. The "Table 45" restaurant has some good tasting food but mostly weird taste. IN addition to $200 a night, prepare to shell out another $10 for internet EACH night and another $20 each night to park your car plus a small fortune in taxes.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

I wanted to share the most wonderful night’s stay I had recently at the InterContinental Cleveland hotel on 4/6/11.

From my first contact in valet to my last contact with an associate, in valet. Everyone was so kind and helpful throughout my entire stay. A few names I remember, and I wish I could remember them all were Terrance at the Bell stand who took my bags to my room, then back down to the meeting I had to attend (which I was 1-1/2 hours late for) - Terrance was wonderful, he showed me around my room, pointing out all the amenities of the room and is just a SUPER person.
Nathan Soliday, I can't say enough for everything he did for me to make my stay so memorable. I'm still flabbergasted and at a loss for words; but what I can say is he is a gem and emulates hospitality and portrays every reason why those in the hospitality industry are in fact in the hospitality industry - because they love people and making their day!
Kim Knoll, she meticulously planned our meeting for OVBTA to a "T". Not one stone went unturned and everything was perfect. Reception, meeting rooms, registration area, food & beverage and AV- Wow! This is a well oiled machine and the operation team should give themselves a HUGE pat on the back!

I thank you all for the remarkable experience I had at your hotel. I couldn't and haven't stopped raving about everything your hotel has to offer to my colleagues, clients, family and anyone else who will listen to me. I too am in the hospitality industry and the InterContinental Hotel in Cleveland should be made the example of how a wonderful hotel should function.

Thank you all so very much for all you do. I can't wait to come back to Cleveland to visit and experience all the city has to offer.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
kknoll, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
Dear JMPColumbus_Ohio,

Thank you for sharing your positive experiences at the the hotel during your recent trip to Cleveland. We have a wonderful team at the hotel and thank you for pointing out a few that made your experience Amazing.

Regards,
Kim Knoll
Business Travel Sales Manager

Been to InterContinental Hotel Cleveland? Share your experiences!