“Wonderful atmosphere and great food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Brecksville, Ohio
“Wonderful atmosphere and great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We recently dined at Spice with another couple, and enjoyed the experience very much. The decor is neutral but very soothing, and there is much more space inside than I thought there would be. With that said, I took off half a point for the very tiny table for 4 people; we had to constantly juggle plates and drinkware to make room for appetizer and entreee dishes.

I can only comment on the food my husband and I ate, because, alas, I didn't want to eat off my companions plates! My husband started with the chili (which he said was delicious) and had the special - fish tacos, and they were outstanding. And I don't like fish! These were battered walleye, but so so so fresh that there was no unpleasant fishy-ness to them at all. A nice slaw and tangy, but not too spicy, sauce accompanied the tortillas, and the four tacos served with the entre were very filling.

I had chicken with chive spaetzle and farm vegetables, and although it was good, it really wasn't that special. I also thought the chicken breast was much too dry, hence, another half point deduction. However, dessert more than made up for that disappointment. I had the Panne cotta with Strawberry-Rhubarb preserves and Lemon Creme Whoopie pie. I normally go for something chocolate, but I'm glad I tried this. The preserves on top of the panne cotta were a perfect balance of flavor and married wonderfully with the custard. The lemon of the whoopie pie, which by itself was light and delicious, melded well with the flavors of the panne cotta.

Another nice bonus is that Spice has a small parking lot behind the restaurant, though one can usually find street parking in the area as well.

Though a bit on the pricey side, I would certainly come back for a special night out.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

89% Recommend
Cleveland, Ohio
“Spring peas soup ooh lala!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The spring pea soup was superlative. I didn't think I would like a chilled soul, however, nothing is further than the truth.
I liked it so much, I went back the next day for another round.
Everything at Spice is always fresh, organic and brilliantly prepared.
Spice is one of Cleveland's best kept secrets.

• Visited July 2013
Cleveland
“creative food, great service, cool atmosphere in Gordon Square area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Dinner for two couples this past weekend. Preprandial cocktails were great, followed by creative little plates and four great dinners. The smokey shrimp bisque special was excellent. My husband was delighted with his lamb two ways and my friend and I enjoyed the ramps and mushroom ravioli. First time but we will be back. Great value and fun venue along with very pleasant and friendly service. Sorta quite around 7 on a Saturday night but packed by the time we left after 8:30.

• Visited June 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
“Nice outdoor seating and attentive service in a Detroit-Shoreway bar with good but pricey food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Met several colleagues for a Thursday night business dinner. Bar and dinner service were quick and pleasant without disrupting our conversation. I had tomato bisque, beautifully presented, $9, and lamb two ways with mashed potatoes and green beans, $30. Both were delicious. Patio seating behind the building was quiet and not too crowded. This restaurant is one long block east of Gordon Square on Detroit Avenue, definitely urban but safe enough.

• Visited May 2013
cleveland
“Really fresh food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Met some friends for dinner and we enjoyed EVERYTHING! We started with their chickpea fries and sauce- very tasty. The mushroom beignets melted in your mouth. We each had a salad - FRESH. We split the ravioli's (they were out of the one listed on the menu but the substitutes were delish anyway) and than we split the pork loin- it was a large piece and also had great flavors to it. Nice and relaxing atmosphere, not rushed.

• Visited April 2013